Anyone here do cruise photography?

11 years 9 months ago #246336 by NikaTraveler
I'm going on a cruise tomorrow, just with the family for my birthday but it made me remember years ago when I was first starting out and looking for any random job I could in the photography world and I found cruise photography. I can't remember if I applied and didn't here back or decided not to apply but in any case never thought of it again until now.

Anyone here done that? I've met people that worked on cruise ships doing other things but never photographers. Seems like it'd be more stressful than other cruise positions without much extra benefit.

Any experience with cruise work, photography or otherwise?

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
11 years 8 months ago #247166 by Vladimir
I think it would be fun, you would clearly need to have sea legs to deal with the rocking every day. That would be fun though, think of all the traveling you would get.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247286 by garyrhook
On every cruise I've been on, the photographers either stand around and catch folks walking by on their way to dinner, or when they're getting onto the ship, or they wander about catching folks engaging in activities, or wandering about in their evening wear. They swipe the guest's ID card, and the photos are exhibited centrally each day. The guests can then buy or not. It's essentially fast-paced portrait work for the most part.

I don't know what the photographers do in their off-hours. Most folks doing that sort of work on a ship have more than one job.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247524 by Josh Jofoto
Gary's right here. I would love to have a gig like this, but something tells me I would be divorced when I got home :rofl:

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #247756 by NikaTraveler
Well post cruise and I got to see what the photos were all about. I've done similar stuff before where you have to be kinda pushy and approach people who may or may not want to be photographed and it's def not my thing. I also heard from a friend that the cruise industry is pretty seedy, but he didn't do photography and it was with a different cruise line than I was on.

That being said the staff didn't seem all that happy. I'm not sure I would be either.

I don't get sea sick though so that's no problem. My brother did. Had to leave my birthday dinner early to go vomit in the bathroom, poor guy. :P

It was a very international staff. Lots of people from Indonesia and the Philippines which would be cool. I love working with people from all different backgrounds.

I think I wanna work on a boat, but not a cruise ship, after my experience. It was just the very picture of over-indulgence and that's not really my style.

11 years 8 months ago #248407 by Julie Staas
Do the cruise liners pay good for photographers? I think this would be great, free vacations!

Country Girl out for a stroll
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #248708 by NikaTraveler

Julie Staas wrote: Do the cruise liners pay good for photographers? I think this would be great, free vacations!

I have no idea. My guess it that it doesn't pay that well BUT you'd be on the ship a lot and more than likely wouldn't be spending much money as you eat and live on the ship. It'd probably be good for someone like me who just travels and doesn't have a house or apt to pay for, prob not so great if you gotta keep paying bills back home while you're away... but I dunno.

The waiter we had on the cruise said he gets hired out for 6 month contracts and then goes home for a couple months (the Phillipines) and the goes back for another 6 months.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024