B-17G and B29A

11 years 9 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #244520 by MajorMagee
There's a B-17G visiting the nearby airport this weekend. I was sitting at my computer and heard the engines, so I grabbed my camera and ran outside. I got there just in time to see it fly below the trees before I could get the camera set up. I hoped he'd miss his approach and have to go around again, and was rewarded with this <<1 second glimpse. Luckily I had pre-focused the camera on a cloud top so just had to squeeze the trigger. Hot, humid, hazy, cloudy day so not great lighting conditions for aircraft photography.

Resized to 1024 x 768 for posting here.

100% Crop to 1024 x 1024

Taken from about 1-1/2 miles away with my E-PL2 and Zuiko Digital 70-300mm lens. f11, 1/1250 sec, ISO 200

11 years 9 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #244541 by MajorMagee
I decided to just wait outside later in the afternoon and was able to get a few more.

E-PL2 and Zuiko Digital 70-300mm lens. f11, 1/640 sec, ISO 200

11 years 9 months ago #244546 by KCook
Markings are different, so I guess it's not the same one that visited here in Phoenix -

kellycook.zenfolio.com/bombers/h22938e83#h22938e83

I wonder how many of these are still being flown?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 9 months ago #244594 by MajorMagee
Operation history of this particular aircraft.

It's interesting how much time and money has been spent keeping this aircraft maintained so we can still experience the sights and sounds of living history.

10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #286726 by MajorMagee
FiFi is currently the only flying B-29 Superfortress in the world. Serial Number 44-62070 is in town for the Dayton Air Show

Taken from my front yard this morning. I almost missed getting to see it while I was running back in the house to grab my camera.

E-PL2 with M.Zuiko 40-150 at 150mm, f/9, 1/500 sec, ISO 200

10 years 10 months ago #286730 by Jackson Rieger
These planes are enormous! I went to an airshow a few years ago and got to walk around one of these. HUGE! Love the photos, thanks for sharing.

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #286779 by KCook
The B-29 was a game changer in the war with Japan. A much more capable bomber than the B-17 and B-24 that were used for most of WWII.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 10 months ago #286789 by icepics
Cool that you live where you could see one of the planes going over, you got some nice pictures of this one.

I was watching the local news at noon, the initial footage of the crash that happened (of a different plane in the air show) was hard to watch; it was obvious the wing walker and the pilot couldn't have possibly survived it. I imagine when they continue the show tomorrow there will be recognition of the performer and her pilot and condolences to their families.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #382029 by MajorMagee
The B-17G Sentimental Journey flew over the house this afternoon.
We're right under the approach for the Dayton - Wright Brothers Airport about 5 miles away to our south.

E-P5 with Zuiko Digital 70-300 mm and EC-14 at 188 mm, f/8, 1/500 sec, ISO 200

9 years 10 months ago #382274 by Joiemagic
Great shots... 

I'm going to the Military Aircraft Museum in Virginia Beach next month.  Don't know that I will get to see any of the planes in flight, but can't wait to see 'em 

Thanks for sharing...

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024