Making your own photography filters?

12 years 7 hours ago #224250 by Janos
I just stumbled on someone talking about making their own filter out of a tea bag :blink: and I'll be honest... I started to chuckle. Till I went to Google and found when there are a ton of pages talking about people making their own filters. Seriously? :blink: Have any of you tried any of these your self? Personally I wouldn't use one for serious work, but curious of the quality.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 hours ago #224254 by KCook
So long as some blur is acceptable, why not??? If you require very high IQ with all of your filters, then this will take a lot of work.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 hours ago - 12 years 5 hours ago #224283 by icepics
Funny Kelly. I haven't run across this and am not sure what you could do w/such a filter, but people are developing film using coffee and orange juice (or vitamin C tablets). It's called 'caffenol' and works but seems to give rather dark prints.

www.alternativephotography.com/wp/darkro...-process-with-coffee
www.digitaltruth.com/data/caffenol.php

I guess you can have breakfast and develop film at the same time, or after you're done dunking your teabag in your cup slap it on your lens and go take a picture.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 hours ago #224290 by NightOwlShooter
I heard they used to use vaseline for that soft focus look... I'd never put that on my lenses though. Maybe cellophane? Cellophane with vaseline on it?

12 years 3 hours ago #224313 by KCook
At one time Cokin had a vaseline kit. One of their clear filters, plus a few tubes of various gel colors. For this I would just use an old UV filter, not put the gook on the actual lens surface!!!

Examples of soft filters here -

kellycook.zenfolio.com/soft_filters

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #224601 by Camera Diva

KCook wrote: At one time Cokin had a vaseline kit. One of their clear filters, plus a few tubes of various gel colors. For this I would just use an old UV filter, not put the gook on the actual lens surface!!!

Examples of soft filters here -

kellycook.zenfolio.com/soft_filters

Kelly

Are you being serious? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #224617 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #224629 by icepics
Well I could manage to get a smear on my lens or filter easily enough without even trying. Why would someone want to shoot thru goop? Oh, yeah, I've shot photos of hockey thru scratched smudged up glass, hmm. Why spend money on that? - just go to your neighborhood local rink!

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #224651 by KCook
I think it's called "art" B)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #224652 by Stealthy Ninja
No need for soft filters these days. 2 min in PS and you have the same effect.

Also plenty of digital filters you can buy (click topaz labs link below in "Vendors".

Only filters you really might need these days are grad ND, ND and Polarizers.

Good luck making a home made polarizer. A home made ND/Grad ND filter will probably suck.

But if you want to try it for fun, then go for it. One fun thing to try is bokeh cutouts.
www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #224735 by Henry Peach
It used to be common to stretch womens' black hose over the lens for a soft focus effect. It was a glamor photography standard. You could buy a fancy soft focus filter for $50+, or a package of hose for $2.50. I bought a Gary Fong Tupperware diffuser for $50, but now I'm smarter and make my own for $2. ;)

Back in the days of film most photographers never bothered to learn processing. Among those that did it was a small percentage that had regular access to a darkroom. Among those it was an even smaller percentage that would rather spend hours in the darkroom duplicating an effect that could be accomplished in seconds (or split seconds) by using a filter.

Today photographers doing their own processing is much more common, and it takes minutes rather than hours. So people are more willing to do it in processing. But if you know you are looking for a particular visual effect, and it's easy to do in camera, why not cut down on the processing? It's pretty easy for me to deal with lint, dust, stray hairs, litter, etc... in Photoshop, but I still try to clean it up before shooting, because that's even easier. If you are looking for the effect that a teabag stretched over the lens makes why not just do it in-camera? I have a buddy that attaches scratched up plexiglass in front of his lenses. I'm sure he could accomplish the same effect in PS, but he likes doing it in camera, and it's easy and fast.

Also people like fiddling with things, and doing things differently than they are supposed to. In an artist's statement explaining the teabag filter is going to come across a lot cooler than saying "I did it with an app."
11 years 11 months ago #224736 by Henry Peach

KCook wrote: At one time Cokin had a vaseline kit. One of their clear filters, plus a few tubes of various gel colors. For this I would just use an old UV filter, not put the gook on the actual lens surface!!!

I used Vaseline occasionally, but I didn't want to carry a jar of he stuff nor get it near my cameras, so I applied it to a filter on the enlarger lens when printing.
11 years 11 months ago #224749 by KCook
I have to admit that my film printing skills were pretty basic. And I shot almost entirely with Ektachrome, so I just let the labs handle the printing.

old bones

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #224756 by Screamin Scott
To this day, I still keep a few sections of black womens hose in my camera bags....Rubber bands too....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024