Extension tubes?

10 years 3 months ago #332601 by garyrhook
So I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of extension tubes for more macro fun with my 105 f/2.8.  I see on Amazon that they come from a variety of manufacturers, and get a wide variety of ratings.

Since I don't have a significant focus on macro work, I'd rather not buy the Nikon product, especially since it seems to not work with G lenses? Hoping for something at a more modest price point.

Nikon mount. The Kenko appears to support AF-S, but still $200. What other brands are worth considering? And the converse, what other brands should be immediately discounted?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #332613 by Screamin Scott
There are a couple of cheaper tubes that will work with AF. Zeikos is one. Personally, I seldom use tubes & when I do I use manual tubes. AF doesn"t work very well with macro once you get to 1/2 life sized or greater. The tubes will reduce the amount of light & if you use the entire set then chances are it won't be enough to AF anyway. If your concern is metering, then go for them but remember that with the very narrow dof, the tubes will futher restrict that. I use a ring light so that when I shoot, it allows me to stop down for the maximum dof & the light stops any motion, be it me or my subject. I also shoot in manual & let the power settings of the ring light control how much more light illuminates the subject. 

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #336157 by Joves

Screamin Scott wrote: There are a couple of cheaper tubes that will work with AF. Zeikos is one. Personally, I seldom use tubes & when I do I use manual tubes. AF doesn"t work very well with macro once you get to 1/2 life sized or greater. The tubes will reduce the amount of light & if you use the entire set then chances are it won't be enough to AF anyway. If your concern is metering, then go for them but remember that with the very narrow dof, the tubes will futher restrict that. I use a ring light so that when I shoot, it allows me to stop down for the maximum dof & the light stops any motion, be it me or my subject. I also shoot in manual & let the power settings of the ring light control how much more light illuminates the subject. 

:goodpost: :agree:
Yeah that and the AF points are not small enough to get specific areas when you are enlarging the subject that much. The Kenkos are great though. I also do not use mine all that much either. I have to be in a macro mood, or mindset to use them.

10 years 3 months ago #338901 by Pierce Steenken
I looked at extension tube alternatives myself and at the end of the day, most of the reviews and post pointed to the Kenko's.  I bought them and it was a good decision.  They are the cheapest, but they sure do work great. 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #338979 by Shadowfixer1
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. No need to spend a ton on tubes. I have a set that are branded as "Polaroid" which are actually re-branded Vivatar tubes. They have all the connections for aperture and auto-focus and they cost about $70. I've used them and they work fine. Auto-focus is a little iffy because of the loss of light. There are 3 to a set. I believe they were a 13, 20 and a 36. These 2 images were made with the tubes on my 80-400 VR lens.

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home...&is=REG&A=details&Q=

img\def

img\def
10 years 2 months ago #343051 by effron
Don't restrict the tubes to a macro lens either, if you have a 300 f/4 for instance, slap a tube on that and be amazed...;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #343163 by garyrhook
Awesome; thanks, everyone!

Nice bugs, too.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #358563 by Luis Felipe
And finally which you one you bought?

10 years 1 month ago #358599 by garyrhook
I haven't, as yet. Other things got in the way, including a 3 week business trip.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #358667 by Luis Felipe
but you decided which brand? sorry for asking, but i am in the same doubt. All my close people told me about kenko, but finally it is only a tube, without any glass, and for macro, you don´t need autofocus, so why not go with the cheaper one.....like vivitar

10 years 1 month ago #358701 by garyrhook
There are a number of comments on Amazon about the tight fit of the Vivitar product, and that concerns me. The Kenko product is apparently made of plastic, however, which lends its own problems.

I'll probably try the Vivitar, carefully, and send them back if I run into any difficulty.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #367919 by garyrhook
Update: I bought the Vivitar set. On mly D5100 they started off snug, and I was unsure whether they fit properly. But with careful mounting they do go onto the body properly and solidly.  The first time I clicked each of them onto the body it was a bit tense, but they've all gone onto the body and 2 different lenses, and come right off again.

I like having aperture control; the AF-S is worthless on my 105 (which hunts anyway). So I consider it an opportunity to practice my manual focus skills.

I do want to spend some time with a yardstick to learn what each tube does. I need to post some pics, too.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #368095 by garyrhook
I uploaded some closeups of a small orchid, and one small cactus. For scale, the purple portion of the flower is about 7/8" across, or about 22mm.. The cactus is maybe 1" across, or so.

img\def

img\def

img\def

img\def

img\def

img\def

I'm calling this one "The Alien in the Orchid"
img\def

These tubes will be fun.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #368115 by JeremyS
What iso was used to shoot those shots? I'm just curious because I too am looking at a set of extension tubes. 

10 years 2 weeks ago #368123 by garyrhook
I was also experimenting with a friend's strobe and large softbox, manually controlling the output of the strobe. . These were at mostly 100, I think 1 or 2 were at 200, and the strobe varied between 40 and 90 watt-seconds at a distance of perhaps 2 feet. The softbox was 24 x 36.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024