Super Telephoto Lens For A D850

4 years 2 months ago #677521 by TinBC
This is my first day at the site so I thought that I'd ask for some opinions in regards to my next lens. I am shooting with a D850 and have the bases covered up to 200mm. I am looking to push out further to start shooting wildlife so I am in the market for a new lens.  I would love to own one of the high end prime lenses but alas, I don't have the five figure budget that goes with them. So with that said here are the candidates;
AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 DG HSM OS Sports
AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR
Tamron150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di 
From my reading to date I am leaning towards the way they are listed above. I like the image quality of the 200-500 but wonder if the extra 100mm that the Sigma offers would be a bigger advantage when in the field. Both allow for composition when shooting. The 500 should produce the highest quality image and is light but it is fixed and pricy to boot.
I am hoping that some of you seasoned wildlife photographers would give me your thoughts... Fixed or telephoto and that extra 100mm of reach.
Thanks

4 years 2 months ago #677528 by Nikon Shooter
The pixel count of the D850 is working for you in this
equation… extending your reach in a better way than
a TC ever could.

I opted to keep my "bought new some 30 years ago"
600 mm ƒ4 and added the brilliant 180 ~ 400 mm ƒ4.

With these properly mounted on gimbals and tripods I
harvest sharp and pleasingly cropped images.

I only work with IF and constant ƒ lenses.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #677565 by garyrhook
Getting back to your question...

That 600mm will buy you 20% over 500mm. Does that matter to you?

I have the Nikon, after trying out a friend's Tamron 150-600. I'm happy with the choice considering how little it gets used. My recent sandhill crane photos were taken with that lens, and the results are satisfying.

Lots of folks like that Sigma.

A teleconverter will cost you in image quality. I have the Nikon TC 1.4II and see some degradation.

You'll want a gimbal head to manage the larger lens. Handheld is really difficult, IMHO.

Being a bit of a hack, I prefer the choices allowed by a zoom, and have used my 200-500 to shoot concerts. Not just wildlife.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #678994 by the four vignettes
I own a 300mm f/2.8 and a 500mm f/4 and here my take on it.  A nice sharp image out of a D850 can be cropped a far bit.  TCs with a high quality prime can go a long way, but I'd stick with a 1.4 TC.  There will be image quality lose but a 1.4 isn't going to make it that much worse.  For wild life, a nice prime, a D850 and cropping can go a long way.   Since you'll almost always be cropping, having a fixed long lens is best IME.  Plus if you're that up close you don't have to get the full body.  That being said, zooms can be nice if you expect to get up close. Zooms don't play was well with TCs though.

I hand hold my 500mm but wouldn't real life y recommend it.  Getting a nice tripod or monopod setup can really help.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024