Optical Stabilisation vs Monopod

3 years 9 months ago #694120 by David Norris
I'm a sports shooter and I've been looking at the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8

They're $4000+ in Australia, but I see second hand lenses pop up all the time for under $2k
I believe there are 2 versions of the lens; the HSM DG OS and the HSM DG (no optical stabilisation).

The Sigma website only has the OS version, so I can't compare the *actual* price differences but on the second hand market, the non-OS versions tend to run around $1-1300 while the OS versions tend to bee $1700 up to $3000.

Anyway, I've got the Canon R6 on order which has IBIS and if I shoot this on a monopod, will I really need the OS?

3 years 9 months ago #694123 by Nikon Shooter
I don't use any stabilisation, even when it's on newer lenses.
but I have two monopods.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #694129 by David Norris

Nikon Shooter wrote: I don't use any stabilisation, even when it's on newer lenses.
but I have two monopods.

Even at 300mm?

Generally my shutter speed is pretty fast given that I shoot sports, so I don't really experience any issues with the subject not being sharp, but just being able to get the camera to stop bouncing around so I can concentrate on what I'm shooting is a big plus.
I presume the monopod will suffice here?

3 years 9 months ago #694131 by Nikon Shooter
The main problem for me is not focus acquisition
but the sacrosanct time of reaction slowed down
by IS — may it be in lens, body, or worse in both!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #714699 by fmw
The sharpest images occur with the use of a tripod.  The monopod would be in second place, the IS in third and hand held in fourth place.  The key to an effective monopod setup is a sturdy head that doesn't buckle under the weight of a long lens.  The head will cost many times the price of the monopod.  I have some IS lenses but I never use the feature. 

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #714704 by Ozzie_Traveller

David Norris wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: I don't use any stabilisation, even when it's on newer lenses.  But I have two monopods.

Even at 300mm? Generally my shutter speed is pretty fast given that I shoot sports, so I don't really experience any issues with the subject not being sharp, but just being able to get the camera to stop bouncing around so I can concentrate on what I'm shooting is a big plus. I presume the monopod will suffice here?

G'day David

As a newbie here - WELCOME to the PT foto forum ... you'll find planty of expertise in the mob here

As to the 2 lenses - I can't comment as I am not a dSLR user - but I do shoot heaps of long-lens stuff -and- use a monopod for much of the time

My Panasonic cameras all have OIS which is active 100% of the time - monopod or tripod use, the OIS remains 'on' - and I have never experienced 'focus-hunting' due to the OIS trying to over-ride things.  I like using the monopod -because- it gives me extra support while I'm shooting in the 300 to 600mm range plus with shutter speeds well under 1/100s and also with lens use from 100mm to 600mm

ps- my monopods are DIY jobs starting with a painters telescopic handle - inexpensive but very strong. I'll try to attach a PDF (below) showing how it all goes together

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

File Attachment:

File Name: DIYProject...opod.pdf
File Size:169 KB

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024