What kind of lens bends an image without distortion?

3 years 2 months ago #711074 by johnywhy
Is there a lens which can allow the observer to view something that's off at an angle? Ie, a lens which deviates the image by an angle, without magnification. Would it be a simple trapezoid, with flat faces? Is that available off the shelf?

3 years 2 months ago #711188 by db3348
Johny ,

Not sure if I'm interpreting your question properly ,  but the very notion of bending an image ,  and "deviating the image by an angle "  to me  implies  distortion .
And all lenses  will distort a subject to some degree  (without some optical correction)  if  subject is viewed and  taken from an angle  to the surface planes of the subject .
For example ,  if  you  view or photograph  a square or rectangular shape  from an angle ,  by default  that shape will be rendered as a trapezoid shape in the resulting photo ,  which basically constitutes  distortion of the subject .

Perhaps  you  have seen an image  which you could post a link to or a copy of  to the forum so we can see what you are suggesting .

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #711189 by johnywhy
I think i misled by the word "lens". I don't care if reflective, refractive, inductive, or hyperactive 

To be more specific about my use-case:

If my camera position is fixed and unchangeable, but it's not pointing directly at my subject, then i want a simple adjustable optical piece that i can manually tilt in order to redirect the off-access image into the camera. It would likely be less than 45 degrees, with a relatively small adjustable range, say +-20 degrees.

i'm thinking something like a pentaprism would be the simplest solution. But, the image might be reverse or upside-down, so it's a matter of figuring out the correct polygon of the prism to ensure that the camera sees a correctly-oriented image. i'm wondering if a simple trapezoid would do. It might need to be a double trap, to correct the inversion.

img\def

Or, why not just a rectangular prism? Just a simple rectangular block of glass?

img\def

Or a short length of straight light pipe?

3 years 2 months ago #711200 by Nikon Shooter

db3348 wrote: … the very notion of bending an image ,  and "deviating the image by an angle "  to me  implies  distortion.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #711319 by db3348

Johnywhy wrote :  ... a simple adjustable optical piece that i can manually tilt in order to redirect...

OK got it .   Your suggestion does have some merit .  Have  you considered gutting  the inside of an old SLR camera  and salvaging the pentaprism and mirror assemblies ?   Could need  a bit of fiddling ,  with construction , positioning and angles etc .
Just a suggestion .

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #713545 by johnywhy
i wonder if a Ludor lens could do this. People are usually interested in Ludor's as "invisibility shield", but doesn't it simply bend light?

3 years 1 month ago #713556 by db3348
Sorry,  not familiar with the Ludor

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #713573 by johnywhy
oops, Lubor

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024