If you had to start all over again, what would you buy?

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #646719 by tesnve
Hi everyone, 

I am in need of some good recommendations for artificial lighting. Long story short, I've never shot with artificial lighting and have a restaurant food photoshoot coming up this weekend. (There's no sunlight inside of this restaurant) - So I have been doing research on what type of artificial lights to buy - but with any new hobby, you never really buy the right equipment to start. So, I'm hoping for some good recommendations!

I will only be shooting food and cocktail photography. I am shooting with a 90mm Sony G macro lens on an A6000. I plan to use mostly stone colored marble or refinished wood backgrounds. I'm hoping to shoot with a style similar to Kayley Mccabe. And lastly, I am looking to make an Amazon order no later than tomorrow night, and hope to be able to use this equipment for at least a couple years as I pick up more freelance work for restaurants and bars. I have a budget of about $1500 though I don't need or want to spend it all for a tripod, softbox, honeycomb grid, dish reflectors, diffuser, fill cards, tethering cables, and anything else I will need to stage an artificially lit photoshoot. (I will want to shoot mostly chiaroscuro style so maybe a versatile softbox?)

They have lighting sets on Amazon for under $200, but I want to do it "right" the first time around, so I'm looking for the opinion of the experienced.

If you were to start photography again, what setup would you go with? Thanks everyone ahead of time. 

4 years 11 months ago #646800 by garyrhook
I'll just say this right out: you're in trouble.

Using artificial light takes work (start with strobist.com now). Large, diffuse lighting sources. Those $200 kits won't do it.

You can do this with strobes (Yongnuo 968s would be just fine, and add a trigger), but you need things that will diffuse and reflect the light. People with experience could jury-rig whatever they need (Dan Winters does this) but that demands knowledge of managing artificial light.

I own 2 DigiBees, 2 large umbrellas, a large softbox, two small octoboxes, and stands. You might consider Godox if you want strobes instead of speedlights, but I'm a Paul C Buff fan.

Good luck.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #646830 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: I'll just say this right out: you're in trouble.

In the days, I got myself a Speedotron Black line. Used it until
it died seven years ago. Then, I reequipped with Profoto. :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #646831 by tesnve
Garyrhook, 

You are a lifesaver. I was less than 30 minutes away from ordering a $200 kit on amazon. Instead went with the Yongnuo 968 EX-RT with a 622 Controller. I think they will work on a Sony A6000, please let me know if they do not! I also picked up a stand and softbox. 

And strobist...yessssssssss 

Thanks human!!!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024