Help - D7500 mirror 'flutter'

3 years 2 months ago #712266 by deneb
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie and wish to ask for help from more experienced users.  I bought a D7500 just over a year ago and started to learn how to use all those controls :-)
During the various lockdowns the camera got little use.  Now it looks as though we may be able to get out and about I have started to familiarize myself with the camera again.  However, something strange has started to happen and I hope it is my doing through ignorance and would welcome advice or comments. When starting to press the shutter release I get the usual beep sound as focus is established but now often there is a sort of 'fluttering' movement coming from the mirror as though it is deciding whether to lock up to see straight through the lens.  The photo is still taken ok but I wonder if I have done something to start this situation or if it means there is something wrong with the camera.  Luckily, I have a two year warranty and so I can take it to the dealer if necessary.  Any help will be appreciated.
Den.

3 years 2 months ago #712328 by Shadowfixer1
Is this a visible flutter or an audible flutter. If it's a sound you hear it may be the VR of the lens you're using if it has VR. Take the lens off and trip the shutter to see if it goes away and also visually observe the mirror action looking into the camera when the shutter is tripped and the lens is off. Does it happen at all shutter speeds?
The following user(s) said Thank You: deneb
3 years 2 months ago #712398 by deneb
Hi Shadowfixer1,
Thanks for your quick reply and advice.  You are right - this movement of the mirror only happens with VR set to 'on'.  Usually immediately after switching on when it seems to be seeking its best position.  It mostly then works normally.  Does this mean something wrong with the lens? 

I couldn't figure out how to operate the mirror via shutter release with the lens off. The lens is an 18-300mm that came with the body as a package.  Do you think I could have made some bad adjustment to cause this or has  the lens developed a fault?  I suppose the best thing is to talk to the dealer. 

Thanks again for your help.

Den.

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #712426 by Shadowfixer1
No. The slight movement is normal. It's just the lens stabilizing the image. It will give a little jump or flutter when you press the shutter button. Most cameras have 2 settings. One will stabilize the image at a half press of the shutter. The other choice will only stabilize the image at full press of the shutter. It's up to you which to use. I use it at half press. 

PS. There is a menu setting that allows for shutter release without lens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deneb
3 years 2 months ago #712438 by Nikon Shooter
Brilliant, Randy, I had no clue!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #712544 by deneb
Thanks yet again.  You have helped a lot. 

I wonder if when using the camera before I had the VR turned off on the lens.  I'll be able to carry on learning with this camera now  (It still seems quite complicated :)  )

Den.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Some bird photography gear is obvious. You need a camera, a lens, and a tripod. But what are the best options in these and other categories of gear? Let’s find out!

May 29, 2024

Having a zoom lens in your bag is like having a jack of all trades. These lenses cover broad focal ranges so you can use one lens for multiple photographic pursuits.

May 28, 2024

Capturing beautiful portraits requires an understanding of compositional techniques (and a lot of other things). In this guide, learn how to master low-angle portrait composition for beautiful results!

May 28, 2024

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024