E400 Pixel Mapping

12 years 6 months ago #162337 by Turbogirlie
In RAW, I am now getting a hot pixel showing up in my shots...........:pinch:

Pants!

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 6 months ago #162578 by WillF
That sucks. I heard it happens and sometimes you can continue to shoot and most photos you won't see that hot pixel. If you do, just clone it out. But if I were you, start saving up for a new camera.

12 years 6 months ago #162799 by Turbogirlie
Looked at the menu on the camera after posting & found the pixel mapping function, then took a few shots & they seem to be clean - the following text was taken from the Lets Go Digital website...

Olympus E-400 Pixel Mapping

We have already seen the pixel mapping function in several generations of cameras. This function enables the Olympus E-400 to check the image sensor and image editing functions, and adjust them where necessary. Generally, the pixel mapping function will not have to be used often, Olympus recommend using the pixel mapping once a year. Before the function is activated, the camera requires a one minute wait if the monitor has been used, or if you have captured images continuously.

Will monitor how my camera performs - this is the first time in 4 and a half years that I've encountered any issues with my E400 - I have fired off a few shots with it too.....:toocrazy:

Been an expensive few months, so lets hope that this cures the problem, or I'm on the hunt for an E3.....:nunu:

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 6 months ago #162949 by photobod

Turbogirlie wrote: Looked at the menu on the camera after posting & found the pixel mapping function, then took a few shots & they seem to be clean - the following text was taken from the Lets Go Digital website...

We have already seen the pixel mapping function in several generations of cameras. This function enables the Olympus E-400 to check the image sensor and image editing functions, and adjust them where necessary. Generally, the pixel mapping function will not have to be used often, Olympus recommend using the pixel mapping once a year. Before the function is activated, the camera requires a one minute wait if the monitor has been used, or if you have captured images continuously.

Will monitor how my camera performs - this is the first time in 4 and a half years that I've encountered any issues with my E400 - I have fired off a few shots with it too.....:toocrazy:

Been an expensive few months, so lets hope that this cures the problem, or I'm on the hunt for an E3.....:nunu:

Hope you have it sorted but I would buy a new camera anyway it will be fun :banana: :banana: :banana:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: Turbogirlie
12 years 6 months ago #162955 by Turbogirlie
Got a Scirocco to repair,:angry: can't afford a new camera ATM!:pinch:

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 6 months ago #162956 by Turbogirlie

photobod wrote:

Turbogirlie wrote: Looked at the menu on the camera after posting & found the pixel mapping function, then took a few shots & they seem to be clean - the following text was taken from the Lets Go Digital website...

Hope you have it sorted but I would buy a new camera anyway it will be fun :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hang on, posted my reply a bit quick..........Christmas is coming............hmmm, I never know what to ask for when prompted - could request donations to the camera fund eh? Lol!

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #243392 by Turbogirlie
Well, the pixel mapping worked - no more reappearance of the hot pixel! Yay! Even found out how to see how many times the shutter's been actuated - over 19,000 in 5+yrs! Not bad!

Came across a good bargain on Ebay - E-3 body, used, with all accessories that you'd get as new, under the £400 mark. It's 4yrs old, has done 16,000 shutter actuations but worth the gamble. And I don't need a whole new set of lenses either! :) :banana: :cheers:

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

11 years 4 months ago #268171 by Turbogirlie
5 months on & several images later, still no hot pixel! :banana:

Still happy with the E-3 too.... :)

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

11 years 4 months ago #268189 by Baydream

Turbogirlie wrote: 5 months on & several images later, still no hot pixel! :banana:

Excellent news. I believe the pixel mapping reads the sensor many times. When it finds the same "flaw" in every shot, the software eliminates that pixel and interpolates its replacement.

Good to here you are happy with your gear,

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turbogirlie
11 years 4 months ago #268364 by Turbogirlie

Baydream wrote:

Turbogirlie wrote: 5 months on & several images later, still no hot pixel! :banana:

Excellent news. I believe the pixel mapping reads the sensor many times. When it finds the same "flaw" in every shot, the software eliminates that pixel and interpolates its replacement.

Good to here you are happy with your gear,

:goodpost: I'm happy that I found an easy home fix, without extortionate dealer prices & being without my camera for weeks on end whilst it gets sent around the world for repairs........ :woohoo: :woohoo:

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

8 years 7 months ago #457319 by Turbogirlie
4 years later, the E400 is still going strong, the pixel mapping really did work a treat!

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024