So it makes me wonder....

12 years 9 months ago #105746 by Codbra
I saw the poll of who uses more Nikon or Canon. I didn't want to take over that thread, so I thought I start a new thread.

For those who have used both Nikon and Canon DSLR and Nikon to Canon point and shoots. Which one is more user friendly?

I've only used Nikon, so I don't know how Canon is.

12 years 9 months ago #105748 by Baydream
I think this is a leap-frog issue with both brands improving their "user controls". The leap from my XT to my XSi was amazing. My friends new Nikon has some really nice controls but so do the new Canons. I think this is like the old "Ford vs. Chevy" arguments that is based on personal bias and ownership.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #105774 by Codbra
I read in a consumer reports that Canon is more user friendly. I figure I ask since I do not have a Canon. Does anyone know how these reports are done? Is it purely a survey of 100 people or do 5 people who are on staff based their opinion on which is better?

12 years 9 months ago #105778 by bexi58
It's just like Baydream said, it's really all based on personal bias, an opinion. Even out of the survey of 100 people. All those people are answering the survery based on their own opinion, to which camera is more user friendly.

Which is why you can only believe those surverys....and sales people (when they try to direct you to a specific brand) so much. In the end, you are the only one who can decide which camera is best for you.

12 years 9 months ago #105794 by Johnnie
As with any piece of equipment including lenses, a manual is provided. Once one reads the manual to understand the functions, knobs etc. the camera either a Nikon, Canon or any brand, the user is now framiliar with their camera, and hence the user can now find the camera to be user friendly.

12 years 9 months ago #105861 by The Time Capturer
I also believe it is opinion based. I use a Canon XSi. I am on a disability pension and can only buy what I can afford. Therefore, this is the best camera I have. I haerd an advertisement on the radio a while back stating 96% of Canadians agree that ... (whatever it was). I was never asked, therefore that's not an accurate assessment. More accurate would be 96% of Canadians polled agree ...

Likewise, Canon has never asked me about my camera, therefore my opinion is not part of their statement. I don't own a Nikon so I don't have an opinion on which is better. To say Canon is more user friendly than Nikon just because I own a Canon would be a highly inaccurate assessment and no one would take me seriously.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #105933 by chasrich
Just remember 98.456% of ALL statistics are made up. Make that 98.457% :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #106648 by The Time Capturer
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #106669 by Baydream
I have read that C & N run neck in neck on DSLR but Canon puts more effort into P&S and entry DSLRs. There is so much competition in P&S that there are other good brands. Remember, Canon is a multi-product company that has many fine lines. Nikon is a single focus company that focuses (bad pun) on high end models while tailoring their entry-level DLSRs as "lock-ins". Panasonic uses Leica lenses and makes excellent P&S models.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #107152 by KCook
I've never owned a Nikon, just played with them in the store. DSLRs I have owed are Canon and Sony. In Auto mode, no brand differences, camera makes all the decisions with no choices left to the user. Moving just beyond Auto, Canon expands things a bit with their unique Creative Auto and A-DEP modes. Which can be viewed as alternatives to Program mode. That can be seen as glass half full, or glass half empty. The half full view would be that these modes are easier to learn than Program mode. The half empty view would be that these modes are blind alleys, don't really help you move toward aperture / shutter priority or Manual mode. Program modes for all 3 brands accomplishes the same things, but the button / menu drill is significantly different. Canon mixes up the button moves more than Nikon or Sony, so could be viewed as harder to learn. Most irritating is that Canon does not have a dedicated button for EV compensation. You have to go menu diving for that. Both Nikon and Sony handle that better. But I'm still not giving up my Canon.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #107153 by Scotty
I've owned both and shot hardcore with both. I prefer Nikon, but canon is a lot more user friendly.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #107154 by Scotty

KCook wrote: I've never owned a Nikon, just played with them in the store. DSLRs I have owed are Canon and Sony. In Auto mode, no brand differences, camera makes all the decisions with no choices left to the user. Moving just beyond Auto, Canon expands things a bit with their unique Creative Auto and A-DEP modes. Which can be viewed as alternatives to Program mode. That can be seen as glass half full, or glass half empty. The half full view would be that these modes are easier to learn than Program mode. The half empty view would be that these modes are blind alleys, don't really help you move toward aperture / shutter priority or Manual mode. Program modes for all 3 brands accomplishes the same things, but the button / menu drill is significantly different. Canon mixes up the button moves more than Nikon or Sony, so could be viewed as harder to learn. Most irritating is that Canon does not have a dedicated button for EV compensation. You have to go menu diving for that. Both Nikon and Sony handle that better. But I'm still not giving up my Canon.

Kelly Cook

The 1d and 5d series both have dedicated exp comp buttons i believe.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #107155 by KCook

Scotty wrote: The 1d and 5d series both have dedicated exp comp buttons i believe.

In my dreams! My Canon is a 50D.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #107156 by Scotty

KCook wrote:

Scotty wrote: The 1d and 5d series both have dedicated exp comp buttons i believe.

In my dreams! My Canon is a 50D.

Kelly

lol np, just figured i'd pass down the info.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024