Telescopes and Camera lenses?

12 years 6 months ago #166273 by Homer
So I went into the telescope store on Tuesday and have to say the rep was at first rude and wasn't to helpful in educating me on the differences between the telescopes they had and which would be good for astrophotography. I started to leave and the manager stepped in and started to point out the differences between the telescopes. I think he wasn't to happy with working with the store and mentioned that if I wasn't in a rush to shop around online that there was better prices. I thought that was nice of him.

From what he mentioned there are a few brands that are very good and he goes if you purchase other brands, they might be less expensive, you just don't get the same optical qualities. This he said will make a big difference when you are going to be taking photos of objects that are hundreds of thousands of miles away from you.

3 brands to look for as he said are "Meade, Celestron and Vixen"

Now what I didn't ask him and I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me, is if the telescope optical system is manufacture the same as a normal camera lens, just larger? Do the optics work the same?

Back to my search.

Homer

12 years 6 months ago #166310 by KCook
In addition to lenses, telescopes use a big mirror. This mirror is also glass, but the details of its fabrication are different from a lens, especially for the big mirrors for telescopes for research. More thoughts on this thread -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...pe-with-camera-mount

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #166315 by Homer

KCook wrote: In addition to lenses, telescopes use a big mirror. This mirror is also glass, but the details of its fabrication are different from a lens, especially for the big mirrors for telescopes for research. More thoughts on this thread -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...pe-with-camera-mount

Kelly Cook

Thank you Kelly, I missed that thread during my search here. :thumbsup:

12 years 6 months ago #166317 by Monti Leehsu
How does a camera mount to one of these? Can't be the same as the existing eye piece or would it? If that being the case do you look though the telescope though your camera's viewfinder?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #166353 by KCook

Monti Leehsu wrote: How does a camera mount to one of these? Can't be the same as the existing eye piece or would it? If that being the case do you look though the telescope though your camera's viewfinder?

There are 3 flavors: Prime focus places the DSLR sensor at the focus for the telescope itself (without any eyepiece). Some telescopes cannot do this because the focus location is inside the telescope hardware, inaccessible to the DSLR. There is also the projection type, where either an eyepiece or a Barlow lens is used to project the focus further back, this usually magnifies the image, requires some extra hardware obviously. Finally there is the option of putting the DSLR, with a camera lens in place, up to the eyepiece. That last technique is the only one that will work with any telescope, even one with a fixed eyepiece, such as a simple spotter scope. See more info on this site -

Connecting Camera to Telescope

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #166715 by I shoot RAW

KCook wrote:

Monti Leehsu wrote: How does a camera mount to one of these? Can't be the same as the existing eye piece or would it? If that being the case do you look though the telescope though your camera's viewfinder?

There are 3 flavors: Prime focus places the DSLR sensor at the focus for the telescope itself (without any eyepiece). Some telescopes cannot do this because the focus location is inside the telescope hardware, inaccessible to the DSLR. There is also the projection type, where either an eyepiece or a Barlow lens is used to project the focus further back, this usually magnifies the image, requires some extra hardware obviously. Finally there is the option of putting the DSLR, with a camera lens in place, up to the eyepiece. That last technique is the only one that will work with any telescope, even one with a fixed eyepiece, such as a simple spotter scope. See more info on this site -

Connecting Camera to Telescope

Kelly

Good post Kelly

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #166724 by KCook
Thank you. It's been a half century since I was involved in amateur astronomy. But I manage to remember some of it. :whistle:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #166741 by Homer
Big thanks on the 411 Kelly, this will be very helpful to me soon. :banana:

12 years 6 months ago #166742 by chasrich
:goodpost:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #166749 by Homer

chasrich wrote: :goodpost:

Do you have interest in astrophotography also?

12 years 6 months ago #167014 by Nunya

Here's a good video that shows that:

Don't look at me, I didn't do it :)
12 years 5 months ago #171032 by Overread

Homer wrote: So I went into the telescope store on Tuesday and have to say the rep was at first rude and wasn't to helpful in educating me on the differences between the telescopes they had and which would be good for astrophotography. I started to leave and the manager stepped in and started to point out the differences between the telescopes. I think he wasn't to happy with working with the store and mentioned that if I wasn't in a rush to shop around online that there was better prices. I thought that was nice of him.

From what he mentioned there are a few brands that are very good and he goes if you purchase other brands, they might be less expensive, you just don't get the same optical qualities. This he said will make a big difference when you are going to be taking photos of objects that are hundreds of thousands of miles away from you.

3 brands to look for as he said are "Meade, Celestron and Vixen"

Now what I didn't ask him and I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me, is if the telescope optical system is manufacture the same as a normal camera lens, just larger? Do the optics work the same?

Back to my search.

Homer

Vixen telescopes are one of the best you can get, but you will pay a little extra :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024