How is exposure compensation even needed?

12 years 1 month ago #216224 by Number 7
I knew there was something I wanted to check! So I was messing around with exposure compensation over the weekend and realized: what's the purpose of this? When I'm shooting in RAW and in manual mode, there is next to no need for having this? I'm just not getting the purpose of this when you have all the adjustability you need from RAW and manual mode already?

Thoughts?

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #216232 by Joves
Well it is needed when you are using program modes or Auto WB I suppose when the camera is missing the white mark. I mostly agree with you in that I shoot manual and learned a longtime ago when my camera screws the pooch on the whites. I know we may get flamed for our views, so let the flames begin.

12 years 1 month ago #216234 by mattmoran
Exposure compensation has nothing to do with white balance, and it is not an option in manual mode. It is very useful in P, Av, or Tv mode.

It's true you can make some exposure correction in post if you shoot RAW, but it's better to get exposure right when you take the picture.

-Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hussain Al Mousa
12 years 1 month ago #216241 by Joves

mattmoran wrote: Exposure compensation has nothing to do with white balance, and it is not an option in manual mode. It is very useful in P, Av, or Tv mode.

It's true you can make some exposure correction in post if you shoot RAW, but it's better to get exposure right when you take the picture.

Actually yes it does when it comes to exposing white itself, you use EC to compensate for it either showing too gray or blowing out. To get true whites in programmed modes you need the EC so it is partially a WB compensation.

12 years 1 month ago #216267 by John Landolfi
Exposure compensation affects the image globally, not locally. What can it usefully do in, say, Aperture Priority mode, that simply spot metering the area of interest and changing to Manual mode to shoot wouldn't equally, or better accomplish? It seems mostly useful when trying to avoid Manual mode at all costs...:)

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #216301 by mattmoran

John Landolfi wrote: Exposure compensation affects the image globally, not locally. What can it usefully do in, say, Aperture Priority mode, that simply spot metering the area of interest and changing to Manual mode to shoot wouldn't equally, or better accomplish? It seems mostly useful when trying to avoid Manual mode at all costs...:)

I've found it useful when shooting in Av (or Tv or P) mode in snow or at the beach (where there is a lot of white sand) to use exposure compensation to tell the camera to "overexpose" by a stop or so to prevent the camera from underexposing the images. In theory I would do the opposite on a black sand beach, but the occasion doesn't arise that much :)

And if someone wants to explain how exposure compensation ties into white balance, I'm willing to be convinced. But for now I'm sticking with my original statement: exposure compensation has nothing to do with white balance.

-Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hussain Al Mousa
12 years 1 month ago #216326 by Henry Peach

Number 7 wrote: I'm just not getting the purpose of this when you have all the adjustability you need from RAW and manual mode already?

Changing exposure in raw processing is not the same as setting it in camera.

Exposure comp is for the auto modes. It allows you to adjust what tone the meter is going for.

mattmoran wrote: But for now I'm sticking with my original statement: exposure compensation has nothing to do with white balance.

:agree:
12 years 1 month ago #216346 by KCook
EV compensation can be problematic when the aperture or shutter are already at the end of their range. I tried shooting with my lens already set wide open, dialed in +1 for the EV comp, and nuthin happened, as my lens could not open another stop. My expectation was that the camera's programming would have enuf smarts to adjust the shutter or Auto ISO by 1 stop, but that didn't happen.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #216352 by Scotty

Joves wrote:

mattmoran wrote: Exposure compensation has nothing to do with white balance, and it is not an option in manual mode. It is very useful in P, Av, or Tv mode.

Actually yes it does when it comes to exposing white itself, you use EC to compensate for it either showing too gray or blowing out. To get true whites in programmed modes you need the EC so it is partially a WB compensation.

This is so wrong on many levels I'm not going to touch it.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #216381 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Joves wrote:

This is so wrong on many levels I'm not going to touch it.

he's just confusing white balance with white levels.
12 years 1 month ago #216480 by Henry Peach
Whatever exposure mode the dial on the camera is set to, if the photographer is using a light meter they should assess the scene/subject tonality, and understand that centering the meter will result in an exposure setting that averages the metered tonality to middle gray tone. Centering the meter all the time in M is no different than operating on auto. Adjusting exposure comp to change exposure settings for a desired subject tone in P/Av/Tv/auto modes is pretty much the same as setting exposure manually.
12 years 1 month ago #216766 by Frost Photography

True, but I think the OP was questioning the purpose of exposure compensation in manual mode when all you need to do is adjust the shutter or aperture value to impact the same as exposure compensation. Technically doing this would be the same as exposure compensation feature built into camera.

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #216777 by KCook

Frost Photography wrote:

True, but I think the OP was questioning the purpose of exposure compensation in manual mode when all you need to do is adjust the shutter or aperture value to impact the same as exposure compensation. Technically doing this would be the same as exposure compensation feature built into camera.

The difficulty with doing that in Manual mode instead of using EV compensation is that the correction will be good for only 1 scene / setup. If the light changes you have to go through the Manual mode offset drill all over again. With EV compensation in one of the PAS modes the auto metering tracks light changes and continues to apply the same EV offset.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #216873 by John Landolfi

KCook wrote:

Frost Photography wrote:

The difficulty with doing that in Manual mode instead of using EV compensation is that the correction will be good for only 1 scene / setup. If the light changes you have to go through the Manual mode offset drill all over again. With EV compensation in one of the PAS modes the auto metering tracks light changes and continues to apply the same EV offset.

Kelly

If the light changes, why would the same EV offset be appropriate?:huh:

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #216878 by KCook

John Landolfi wrote:

KCook wrote:

Frost Photography wrote:

Kelly

If the light changes, why would the same EV offset be appropriate?:huh:

When the EV offset was needed for the subject, not the lighting. A beach example has already been given. So if a cloud comes along, putting the beach in its shadow, it's still a beach, the EV offset is still needed.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024