Exposure compensation question

11 years 11 months ago #226904 by John37
I was just trying to form a thought and, as usual, I came dangerously close to cerebral melt down! Anyway, this is a 2 part question. 1st, if you use exposure compensation to the brightest setting, will it cause more noise to the image? and 2nd, as far as I know I can't use EC when in manual. And if I use it in Av, it will adjust the shutter speed accordingly, which is a wash. But, I can trick the camera by locking the exposure to a higher shutter speed by pointing to a lighter source, with EC all the way up. Would this be worth doing, in trying to keep the noise level down?

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 11 months ago #226917 by mattmoran
As for part one, I'd say no. EC shouldn't affect noise as long as you aren't changing ISO. (My Canon never adjusts ISO as part of EC. I'm not sure about other brands.)

For the second part, I'm not sure what you mean by EC changing the shutter speed being "a wash". Changing the shutter speed is what I would expect EC to do when in Av mode. Remember that EC is a way to compensate for your meter giving you the "wrong" readings due to the scene being brighter or darker than an 18% gray card.

-Matt
11 years 11 months ago #226922 by John37
Welcome to my melt down, Matt! :lol: Perhaps I left out that I would be trying to keep the shutter speed as high as possible. If, let's say, I was shooting a moving subject in low light and I didn't want to increase my ISO all the to 6400 (from 3200), so to minimize noise, and assuming I'm in Av, the meter tells my camera that at f4, I need to be at 30th of a second. My thinking is that I could lock my shutter speed at a 60th, and crank the EC a full stop to make up for the loss of exposure time. Does that sound right? :unsure:

11 years 11 months ago #226925 by mattmoran
Do you have reason to think your meter is wrong? If not, EC isn't really what you want. If the correct exposure is 1/30, f/4, iso1600, changing the EC won't change that. If you need 1/60 or faster and f/4 is as wide as your lens opens, then your choices are upping the iso or underexposing your images. You are better off with higher iso, in my opinion.

Or maybe you could put the camera on a tripod with a pan head? Or maybe flash? If either is feasible, that may help.

-Matt
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #226929 by John37
Gotchya... I was thinking that, by doing this, it would essentially add another stop "of light" to my image in a light challenged environment.
Thanks, Matt! :thumbsup:

11 years 11 months ago #226932 by CWphotos
Hmmmmm...unless I am missing something, the only two ways to 'lock' in your shutter speed is by using manual, or switching to Tv. If your switch to shutter priority, and your lens only opens to f-4, EC will be moot...you will be underexposed. You might try slow sync ( or another setting ) flash?

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 11 months ago #226964 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #226992 by John37
The fact that I'm losing everyone with this tells me I'm the one that's lost!!! :toocrazy:

So here's what I picture in my head. I'm at a concert, the lighting is dim, and I'm using Av mode with no flash. My shutter has to stay at 60, for the sake of argument. But when I point my camera at my subject it says 30. So I adjust my EC to one full stop of over-exposure. I point my camera at something brighter to make it think it needs to be a 60th of a second. Then, I lock that exposure in and take the shot. As my ambient exposure is now 1 stop low, wouldn't the EC being 1 stop up compensate for that? Is that techincally right?
I've got to be missing something obvious... as usual. :lol:

Thanks for the links, Kelly. I'll have a look at those. :thumbsup:

11 years 11 months ago #227009 by KCook
So I just gave this a try on my 50D. And yes, -1 stop EV compensation in Av mode did move the shutter speed from 1/30 sec to 1/60 sec. This was with a fixed ISO. But my technique would have been to have the camera in Tv mode at 1/60 sec and ISO on AutoISO. Then EV compensation should not be needed (unless the subject rips his shirt off).

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #227023 by mattmoran

John37 wrote: The fact that I'm losing everyone with this tells me I'm the one that's lost!!! :toocrazy:

So here's what I picture in my head. I'm at a concert, the lighting is dim, and I'm using Av mode with no flash. My shutter has to stay at 60, for the sake of argument. But when I point my camera at my subject it says 30. So I adjust my EC to one full stop of over-exposure. I point my camera at something brighter to make it think it needs to be a 60th of a second. Then, I lock that exposure in and take the shot. As my ambient exposure is now 1 stop low, wouldn't the EC being 1 stop up compensate for that? Is that techincally right?

If you did as you described you would be underexposing your picture by one stop.

-Matt
11 years 11 months ago #227024 by CWphotos

John37 wrote: The fact that I'm losing everyone with this tells me I'm the one that's lost!!! :toocrazy:

:rofl: I've read this 10 times...closed my eyes, and tried to place myself at the concert. I wish I was more experienced, and certain of myself...I can see why you are boggled about it! However... No matter how I calculate, the answer is no...you will still have your subject underexposed.

If I am wrong, I appologize ahead of time! :rofl:

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #227099 by Henry Peach

John37 wrote: 1st, if you use exposure compensation to the brightest setting, will it cause more noise to the image?

EC adjusts what tone the meter is going for. It should tend to over expose, but it depends entirely on what you are metering. If EC is set to +3, and you meter middle gray, it's going to give you the settings to make middle gray 3 stops brighter. If EC is set to +3, and you meter something 3 stops brighter than middle gray it's going to give you the settings to make middle gray middle gray. If you meter something 1 stop brighter than middle gray it will make middle gray 2 stops brighter. If you meter something 1 stop darker than middle gray it will make middle gray 4 stops brighter.

John37 wrote: But, I can trick the camera by locking the exposure to a higher shutter speed by pointing to a lighter source, with EC all the way up. Would this be worth doing, in trying to keep the noise level down?

Noise is going to have to be assessed individually. At what point noise caused by under exposure becomes an issue is part opinion, but also will vary depending on the camera and processing.

Meter lock allows you to meter an area and then recompose without the meter re-adjusting. It's handy when the tone you'd like to make middle gray (or whatever the meter is going for via exposure comp) isn't in the center of your viewfinder.

You are succumbing to the idea that gizmos will make your job easier, but as your meltdown demonstrates they often make things more difficult. Here's how I would go about shooting the concert situation described above. Leave EC to zero. Take a test shot. I'd probably pick an exposure based on experience, but I could just zero the meter or put the camera on an auto mode such as Av. Check the histogram to assess the exposure. Adjust from there. Unless the lighting varies or is uneven across the stage I can just shoot away. If the lighting does change then I might take several test shots, and figure out the settings for those conditions. For instance maybe the edges of the stage are 1.3 stops dimmer than the center, and reduce exposure by 2 stops when the main spotlight is on, etc.... Or I could set the meter mode to spot, and adjust exposure so that the performers faces meter at +1 stop for light skin and middle gray for dark skin. Unless the scene is very even tonally operating in manual exposure is probably going to require less effort and concentration than babysitting the meter. With a little practice you will become very fast at adjusting settings manually.
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #227102 by Henry Peach

John37 wrote: As my ambient exposure is now 1 stop low, wouldn't the EC being 1 stop up compensate for that?

Exposure compensation adjusts what tone the meter goes for in any auto exposure mode.

When you say "ambient exposure is now 1 stop low" do you mean 1 stop less than middle gray? Or 1 stop less than middle gray +1?

Is the ambient light background middle gray? If it is dim it should meter less than middle gray.

Proper exposure is an opinion. The meter helps you determine how much light you have to work with, but what exposure and processing results in the "right" tones is up to you.
11 years 11 months ago #227149 by John37
Thank you all for the input. To clarify, I'm only trying wrap my brain around the concept. I know that, in the event it actally worked, the practicality would be limited, specific and minimal in terms of positive results. I think what got my meltdown started was trying to shoot with my F4 at an indoor basketball game. At f4 I couldn't get any decent shutter speeds and my ISO had to be tapped hard. So I started wondering about the EC feature and if there was any possible way of exploiting it and using it for something other than what it was designed for. It's been cleared up thanks to you all!!
:cheers:

11 years 11 months ago #227166 by KCook

ISO had to be tapped hard

A common occurrence indoors. Instead of sweating buckets of blood trying to keep the ISO down, I focus on NR techniques in post. Of course in the perfect world I would just run out and buy the latest, greatest body.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024