Need some advice with some baby photos - 1 month old

11 years 8 months ago #245425 by Alex
One of the reasons why I rushed to get my camera's sensor cleaned today was my brother in law ask if I would take some photos of their 1 month old daughter this weekend. I warned him that I'm more on the landscape side of things with very little portrait experience and zero baby photo experienced. He was OK with that.

So... moving forward: I could use some advice or some tips from you that have done baby photos. What are some good poses or any helpful tips you could suggest to me?

Big thanks in advance!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245439 by Darrell
I enjoy taking baby pics and a few things I have learned:
Let the Mom do the posing
Having several posing ideas and suggestions but also try the parents ideas
If using studio lights or off camera flash make sure they are at the babies level
Sleeping babies are the easiest especially at a month old
I use props, laundry basket, a pea pod my wife made, suit case, toys etc.
Check on line for ideas and make a list so your mind does not go blank after you take a few pics.
Oh yeah, you work on the baby's schedule !!
Have fun...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 8 months ago #245509 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago #245551 by Alex
Good stuff. I'm excited about this, my camera is back and all cleaned up. I'm just putting aside what gear I'm going to bring up with me.

LOL Not sure what gear I'll need so I'm going to dust off the big 'ol Think Tank roller loaded, and I think I'm going to bring a softbox and stand.

I'm wondering if I should bring a black and white back drop? Have the baby laying on them with pillow under backdrop?

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245618 by KCook
Hey, I would need that pillow for my creaky knees :pinch:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #245633 by McBeth Photography
Use the shutterbuddies. Baby blue and pink backdrops are handy too.

It is what it is.
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #245634 by icepics
If a baby is too young to hold their head up they'd be better on a surface where they won't have their face down in something too soft (the 'back to sleep' movement is part of SIDS prevention related to this type thing, although in this situation you wouldn't be leaving the baby in a position for very long). An infant's head and neck needs to be supported too until they're able to hold their head up.

Maybe try the backdrop behind them as a background or have them on a blanket that's pretty or bright colors/B&W. Using their infant seat w/a blanket might work too. If the baby's in a comfortable secure position it might be more likely you'd get pleasant facial expressions.

I've mentioned in other threads that I worked as an EI Spec with infants and toddlers w/delays, but I haven't done photos w/babies. I'd go with Darrell's suggestions and use the parents as a guideline as to what position(s) would be best. Babies are all different and the parents would know best what/how much their baby would tolerate or be sensitive to or if they might just sleep thru the whole thing.

(edit - Yeah, give Kelly the pillow and take along Barry and his hula hoop and a Shutter Buddy! - well maybe when the baby's a little older.)

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245824 by kraj8995
I have the opposite problem. Have you tried the wet flushable wipes? They may help.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024