Move from DSLR to Mirrorless camera?

11 years 5 months ago #262932 by Flash Steven
I'm curious with the camera manufactures pushing their mirrorless technology if any DSLR owners have considered or have moved to mirrorless?

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #262941 by KCook
I would very much like to have a Micro4/3 rangefinder as a casual sidekick to my DSLR. But not to replace the DSLR.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 5 months ago #262978 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: I would very much like to have a Micro4/3 rangefinder as a casual sidekick to my DSLR. But not to replace the DSLR.

Kelly

LOL it's not a rangefinder, it's a point and shoot with exchangeable lenses. The sensor is a x2 crop, so it's bigger than a normal P&S though.

A rangefinder is a device that allows you to focus accurately and is found in cameras like the Leica M series. Even the Fuji Xpro-1 isn't a rangefinder, it just looks like one.
11 years 5 months ago #262988 by KCook
Gawd! I am perfectly aware of that. I started out shooting with my father's 35mm Leica. And still have an old 35mm Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII, with rangefinder. Clearly the Oly and Panny stylists were shooting for the old rangefinder style in their non-viewfinder models. Even if they did leave out the actual rangefinder optics.

My pet peeve is that I can remember when "video" was considered a part of "photography". Now "photography" seems to be limited to still photography.

Oh well :P

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 5 months ago #262989 by Lightpuller
Just a question. Why are they called "mirrorless"? I assume because the mirror isn't inside. But aren't point and shoot cameras mirrorless too? Why call these ones mirrorless at all? Why not just changeable lens cameras?

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #262990 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: Gawd! I am perfectly aware of that. I started out shooting with my father's 35mm Leica. And still have an old 35mm Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII, with rangefinder. Clearly the Oly and Panny stylists were shooting for the old rangefinder style in their non-viewfinder models. Even if they did leave out the actual rangefinder optics.

My pet peeve is that I can remember when "video" was considered a part of "photography". Now "photography" seems to be limited to still photography.

Oh well :P

Still doesn't make it a rangefinder ;)

Videography, cinematography and photography : All worthy pursuits.

Lightpuller wrote: Just a question. Why are they called "mirrorless"? I assume because the mirror isn't inside. But aren't point and shoot cameras mirrorless too? Why call these ones mirrorless at all? Why not just changeable lens cameras?

Just a name. I suspect for marketing purposes.
11 years 5 months ago #262992 by KCook
The are labeled "mirrorless" mostly to distinguish them from DSLR cameras, which have a mirror box.

"Mirrorless" is not the only label for these. You may also find MILC "mirrorless interchangeable lens camera", "bridge" camera (which is very easy to confuse with SLR-like ultrazooms), and CSC "compact system camera", plus a few more that did not last very long. Pick your own poison.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 5 months ago #262993 by Lightpuller

KCook wrote: The are labeled "mirrorless" mostly to distinguish them from DSLR cameras, which have a mirror box.

"Mirrorless" is not the only label for these. You may also find MILC "mirrorless interchangeable lens camera", "bridge" camera (which is very easy to confuse with SLR-like ultrazooms), and CSC "compact system camera", plus a few more that did not last very long. Pick your own poison.

Kelly

Well that cleared up nothing. :rofl:

I was thinking to get a smaller camera. These days a large camera is a bit tough for me to carry around a lot of the time. I have to get used to digital though. Quite different to film. I love the way you can see the photo on the back of the camera, but I have a bit of trouble working out computers. My kids are a great help though. They taught me how to use the internets and now I just have to work out how to get my new photos onto the computer. Still it's a lot of fun trying things out.

11 years 5 months ago #262995 by MajorMagee
Don't forget EVIL, Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens cameras.

By the way, they're already quite capable and still getting better every year.

Here's an example

11 years 5 months ago #263008 by Jim Photo
I was after the Nikon 1, but I found the feeling of the camera odd

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #263013 by Stealthy Ninja

MajorMagee wrote: Don't forget EVIL, Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens cameras.

By the way, they're already quite capable and still getting better every year.

Here's an example

EVIL cameras are an offshoot of Mirrorless cameras.
11 years 5 months ago #263018 by hghlndr6
Seems silly to name a category of cameras for what it doesn't have. :lol:
11 years 5 months ago #263020 by Stealthy Ninja
Anyway. Back on topic.

I have debated in my mind if I should get a Fuji X-pro1 or what. I have tried that camera and I really like it. I think it's the perfect size for an everyday camera (for me) but I'm not sure if I should wait for the Xpro2 or what.

Of course I have the luxury of time, but it would be nice to have a good. smallish every day camera to bring about in my bag.

I like the Olympus OM-D style, but it's just a tiny bit too small for my tastes.
11 years 5 months ago #263077 by Joves
Well for me the answer is no. That includes the EVIL cameras as well. I like the sound of the mirror hitting the body. There is something soothing about it.

11 years 4 months ago #263167 by Tim Kelley
Isn't Sony leading the market with mirrorless cameras?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024