Having a Blog vs Website

10 years 6 months ago #302981 by MYoung
I have been talking about having a website for some time and with out getting into boring details has been a long road. I have been reading about websites and I have been also reading up on setting up blogs. All is new, and honestly all is a little hazy for me right now. Specifically when I try to rationalize which would be most suitable for my growing wedding and portrait photography business. There seems to be good pro's and con's to having each.

I would like your opinion, if you could only have one. A blog site or more traditional informational website. Which would you rather have for your photography business?

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #303039 by Tuscan Muse
A website that contains a blog is the best option for SEO.
10 years 6 months ago #303061 by garyrhook
I believe it is recommended to have both.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #303077 by KCook
A blog is less work to start than a DIY web site. And a blog is easier to work with if you expect the content to be mostly writeups and feature pictures. Of course it's not that hard to find people / companies to launch an initial web site for you. And changing out the content of a web site (replacing instead of expanding content) is not that hard if the site is very simple and you are comfy with an HTML editor.

If your budget is too low to pay for an initial web site, then consider one of the subscription photo hosts like Zenfolio. For an expanding portfolio it is a lot easier to manage a large body of photos on a host than on your own web site or a blog.

All of these can be blended. You can have a simple web site that hosts your own DIY blog, and links seamlessly to a separate photo host. Or the more sophisticated photo hosts will let you link in a separate blog. There are blogs that include photo galleries, but the gallery plug-ins I have found so far have a lot of limitations, compared to a photo host.

Sites come in different flavors. If you can give a link to a particular site that you want yours to be like, then we can give better suggestions.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 6 months ago #303303 by StephanieW
All this advice so far is fabulous. I just want to add that if you aren't that good at html or website creation, WordPress is an easy to use starter tool. I recommend buying your own domain, though, then just using WordPress.org tools to create your blog. The cool thing is that with WordPress you can have "pages" as well as a blog so you can have a less bloggy feel to a large portion of your website.

Buying your own domain is pretty crucial for looking professional, though. You can get a year for $50 at some places. Cheaper if you buy multiple years out. I started with a (my name).wordpress.com domain and it was fine for a little while, but it's not something you want to put on business cards and such.

10 years 6 months ago #303359 by Jim Photo
Why not have both? Website that has a blog part of it?

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #303409 by StephanieW

Jim Photo wrote: Why not have both? Website that has a blog part of it?

This is definitely the answer. The blog portion is good to show what you're currently up to. The website portion is good for showing off your work in general and posting more information about who you are and what you do.

10 years 6 months ago #303427 by KCook

Jim Photo wrote: Why not have both? Website that has a blog part of it?

A DIY web site will not have a "pro" or polished look. This is why I mentioned getting someone skilled in HTML to come up with a web site. A blog (alone) or a photo host "site" (such as Zenfolio) will have a fairly polished look, even when the author has little skill at this stuff. Depends on what you are shooting for.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 6 months ago #303587 by ThatNikonGuy
All good advise. Just make sure the content is yours and well written

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #303671 by hghlndr6

ThatNikonGuy wrote: All good advise. Just make sure the content is yours and well written

And worth reading. So much stuff I see on blogs isn't.
10 years 6 months ago #303923 by icepics
So many people seem to be doing blogs and it seems they vary. If someone is looking for a photographer they may want to know something about the photographer but may not want to spend a lot of time reading, especially if they are looking at a lot of sites to find a photographer for a particular purpose. I think a site looking professional and displaying excellent quality photographs is what would let people know if you're a good photographer and if you'd be dealing with them in a professional way. I don't know if following your blog would mean they would use your services or not.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #303943 by KCook
Tis perfectly true that the traditional blogs are narrative heavy. However, a blog using the "magazine" layout can be a lot more visual -

www.aboutrc.com/

www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/

www.jaypatelphotography.com/

www.kentyuphotography.com/blog/

laurencekim.com/

blog.snapfactory.com/

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 6 months ago #303959 by StephanieW
If you go with WordPress, you can get a very professional looking theme without much effort. There are literally hundreds of free themes and thousands of paid themes. It's great for a beginner and you don't have to hire someone else (unless you count buying a theme as "hiring").

10 years 6 months ago #303971 by Number 7

StephanieW wrote: If you go with WordPress, you can get a very professional looking theme without much effort. There are literally hundreds of free themes and thousands of paid themes. It's great for a beginner and you don't have to hire someone else (unless you count buying a theme as "hiring").

Wordpress sites pretty SEO friendly?

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #304223 by StephanieW

Number 7 wrote:

StephanieW wrote: If you go with WordPress, you can get a very professional looking theme without much effort. There are literally hundreds of free themes and thousands of paid themes. It's great for a beginner and you don't have to hire someone else (unless you count buying a theme as "hiring").

Wordpress sites pretty SEO friendly?

Yes absolutely. There are even some plug ins where you can see how SEO friendly individual articles are. I don't have that on my site (I probably should) because I mainly use tagging systems on other social networks to drive traffic back to my blog. I tag things on Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook and link back and it works pretty well. But SEO tools are available with WordPress. You can also see what search terms people are using to find your site, which is pretty nifty. I'm the top result on some really popular search terms right now and get about 50 hits a day from those alone.

One other thing I want to tell you is that there is a difference between WordPress.com and WordPress,org. The .org is better. You buy a domain and then use their tools to build your website. That is when you can include plug ins such as tools to monitor SEO friendly articles or search terms, but .com is very basic. You don't get many themes and you don't get plug ins. Buy a domain name, then install WordPress.org software, then have fun building your website. If you want your website to do something just search for the thing you need and add "wordpress plug in" and you'll probably find it. For example, I had a troll on my website so I googled "IP Ban wordpress plug in" and banned their IP address and they can no longer post on my website. Pretty nifty.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024