Which lens is better? (BLIND TEST, HELP ME CHOOSE)

10 years 3 months ago #330565 by Tristan R
How do you like that Sony?

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #330577 by Screamin Scott
Now this is weird....I posted on this thread & now I don't see my post anywhere. I had said I thought the first image had a "warmer" color rendition than the 2nd image...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #330843 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote: Perception is a funny thing, don't you think?
Upon further examination, I'll retract my initial answer and go with the f/1.2. Very interesting. Apologies for including the 2nd set in the discussion; I see that they were irrelevant to the initial post.

I accept your apology Gary san.

(in this picture Gary is Obama)

Yeh I like the 1.2 too. When you shoot with it it's fun, everything looks kinda dreamy (When shooting at 1.2)

Tristan R wrote: How do you like that Sony?

I like it a lot. I can't believe how good the EVF is. Sony have mastered that art at least. The AF is kinda cool too (when you turn on face detection, it can even detect eyes and focus on them).

Screamin Scott wrote: Now this is weird....I posted on this thread & now I don't see my post anywhere. I had said I thought the first image had a "warmer" color rendition than the 2nd image...

I know, that's kinda weird. I like it though.

Well, I guess I'll be buying the more expensive lens. LOL
10 years 3 months ago #330945 by garyrhook

Ha-ha! I'm pretty sure you're not a little Asian guy, though. :-)

Yeh I like the 1.2 too. When you shoot with it it's fun, everything looks kinda dreamy (When shooting at 1.2)

I'd like to see both lenses at 1.4 or 1.8 taking the same shot.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #331023 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote:

Ha-ha! I'm pretty sure you're not a little Asian guy, though. :-)

I'd like to see both lenses at 1.4 or 1.8 taking the same shot.

I'm pretty sure you're not black.

I think I took some shots like that (1.4 etc.), but it's hard to tell which is which because they're shot with an adapter and there's no data transferred.
10 years 3 months ago #331227 by Tuscan Muse
"B" sharper, better definition
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #331397 by Stealthy Ninja

Tuscan Muse wrote: "B" sharper, better definition

Actually if you look at the 100% crops A is as sharp or sharper than B (despite it being shot at 1.2 instead of 1.4).  They were both a little bit off so the eyes are slightly out of focus. The problem I think is most people are not used to seeing a more "classic" wide aperture 35mm shot like this.  More modern lenses like the Sigma 35 1.4 are designed to be as sharp as possible and hopefully the bokeh is OK too (Sigma got this right).  The Voigtlander 35 1.4 on the other hand is designed to give a "classic look" which generally means sacrificing sharpness for bokeh and a "dreamy look".  THOUGH the 35 1.2 is actually sharper and has better bokeh (smoother) The "B" lens (35 1.4) is particularly "classic" and even has the name "classic" in it's offical title (Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4).  

Maybe it's better to show the difference in actual sharpness between the two.

This shot is from the 35 1.2 (100% crop):

This one is from the 35 1.4 (lens B ):
You can pretty clearly see here the "classic" look which makes everything a little like it's in soft focus.  Some people like this look.  It's not about perfection, it's about the "feel" apparently.  BTW that's NOT motion blur. 

For added interest, the adapter I used was a helicoid close focus adapter, which allows you to get a lot closer to focus if you want (kind of like engaging macro mode).  Example (35 1.2):
10 years 3 months ago #331443 by KCook
And I didn't realize 35mm could be that shallow DOF, even at 1.4 :woohoo:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 3 months ago #331447 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: And I didn't realize 35mm could be that shallow DOF, even at 1.4 :woohoo:

Kelly

Yeh this:  http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf/id/pa_vm-e_close-focus-adapter.html

It let's you get amazingly close and at 1.2 or 1.4 the DOF is really shallow.
10 years 3 months ago #332413 by Stealthy Ninja
I got the 35 1.2. Doing great so far 
10 years 3 months ago #332445 by Ulrich Brodde
"....the 35 1,2 is actually sharper and has a better bokeh (smoother)......."

But if so, the 1,2 does not have a better bokeh. It may have a better (smoother) background but for me (and for the most explanations I found in the last years reading about photography) "bokeh" is created by the small light circles built by the lens. Maybe with this link it´s better to understand what is a better bokeh for me
121clicks.com/inspirations/15-beautiful-...of-bokeh-photography
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #332457 by Stealthy Ninja

Ulrich Brodde wrote: "....the 35 1,2 is actually sharper and has a better bokeh (smoother)......."

But if so, the 1,2 does not have a better bokeh. It may have a better (smoother) background but for me (and for the most explanations I found in the last years reading about photography) "bokeh" is created by the small light circles built by the lens. Maybe with this link it´s better to understand what is a better bokeh for me
121clicks.com/inspirations/15-beautiful-...of-bokeh-photography

I don't know what you've read but,  bokeh is a Japanese word that means blur or mist.  It refers to the quality of any out of focus area at any aperture (though it's easier to tell at wider apertures) .  It's not just bokeh balls. Though that's part of it. Bokeh is subjective though,  so if what YOU want in Bokeh is to see balls,  then that's cool. 

By the way,  your link says:
Bokeh need not be round or spherical in shape, any blurred out background is also termed as Bokeh.
10 years 3 months ago #332461 by Ulrich Brodde
At least all this is theory.
It´s more important to do photos which are impressive than to discuss how to do them.
10 years 3 months ago #332473 by Stealthy Ninja
Here is the lens on the a7 lends quite a heft to the camera. But I love the look it gives (to the photos). 
10 years 3 months ago #332475 by Shadowfixer1

Ulrich Brodde wrote: At least all this is theory.
It´s more important to do photos which are impressive than to discuss how to do them.

Sorry, I disagree with these statements. The discussion on how to do these things or to explain how it's done is a large part of why many of us participate on these forums. It's a journey to make "photos that are impressive" for most people. There are very few people that pick up a camera and are able make impressive images starting out. Some are better than others, but it usually takes a bit of time. I understand what you are trying to say, but the discussion part is why we are here.

PS. I think your idea of what desired bokeh is completely wrong but that's O.K. Whatever works for you. It's not just the circles that show up, it's the smoothness of how those circles blend into the background. In fact, perfect bokeh would be seeing no circles, just a smooth blur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stealthy Ninja

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024