Mirror lock up and tripod use

10 years 3 months ago #333391 by Oscar Cohen
I've never paid much attention to using mirror lock up and recently started using.  After Googling for more on this subject I found one photographer who was saying mirror lock up is a must have when using a tripod.  Oddly enough I found another photographer saying that you shouldn't use mirror lock up on a tripod that you were supposed too.  Somehow, I think that photographer was confusing mirror lock up with vibration reduction. 

Just quickly, when are you using mirror lock up and when are you not? 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #333407 by effron
Whenever I shoot a tripod mounted static landscape or macro, I use MLU. Simply one of the best features available on a DSLR....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #333419 by Shadowfixer1
I use mirror lock up mostly on macro shots and landscapes. It needs to be used anytime the shutter speed is around 1/15 sec. That's the speed that mirror slap shows up the most. Mirror lock up will give the best detail on your macro images. This subject has been discussed on the board before and there is some disagreement on when it's necessary. Some think it's necessary on long shutter times while I disagree. I personally don't think mirror slap will effect a long exposure because the percentage of time related to the total exposure is so small, it's negligible. Some on the board think it's absolutely necessary for long exposures. I don't know why, but they think so. I think it's similar to using a 10 stop ND filter. You can take an image of a freeway with a 10 stop ND and the moving traffic will disappear because they are not exposed long enough to show up as they move through the frame. I think the percentage of the exposure is key. If the vibration from the mirror slap is such a small percentage of the exposure, the effects from it will not show up in my opinion. Let the debate begin.     Again.  
10 years 3 months ago #333423 by garyrhook
:agree:  Potential vibration relative to total exposure time is what matters.

As for using it/not using it on a tripod, the issue is the vibration caused by the mirror movement. Unless you have a tripod that is bedrock steady and can obviate even the slightest movement caused by the actuation, then you have to take it into account. I've learned that it can be useful (as stated) for macro work, even at fast shutter speeds.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #333655 by Jennifer Krueger
I'm not as hardcore as you all, but I have used mirror lock up just a few times and that was just to see what it did on landscape photos.  Honestly I did see any difference. 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #333725 by EOS Man
When I'm shooting landscapes, anything I can do to reduce any vibrations that might mess up the shot are a must do.  This includes weighting down your tripod and using mirror lock up.  The obvious first on the list is a cable release too. 

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #333885 by Jessa Layton
Frankly just when I remember when doing landscapes

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #334021 by Rudy Sosa
As mentioned already, just for landscapes and macro photos is pretty much the only time I would use it

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #334215 by Frisco
+Mirror lock up is a must if you want to increase sharpness in photos.  

p.s. - doesn't work as well when  you hand holding. :rofl:   Seriously, I met someone who was using mirror lock up and was hand holding his camera.  Seemed like a :pinch:  move to me!  ha ha ha

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #334547 by Happy Snapper

Frisco wrote: +Mirror lock up is a must if you want to increase sharpness in photos.  

p.s. - doesn't work as well when  you hand holding. :rofl:   Seriously, I met someone who was using mirror lock up and was hand holding his camera.  Seemed like a :pinch:  move to me!  ha ha ha

No comment :rofl:

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #335001 by Joves
Well I can agree with when the others are using it. As stated with long exposure shots there is no need for it. For those you are better off using the timer set to one second so you can trip the shutter, and then take your finger away. People leaving their finger on the shutter button causes more blurring than the mirror slapping. Whether you realize it or not having that weight on there does matter. MLU is just a good tool for some situations, and useless for others.

10 years 3 months ago #335253 by effron

Joves wrote: Whether you realize it or not having that weight on there does matter.

Yes, and that's why when my camera is on a tripod, there is always a remote shutter trip attached as well.......:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #335351 by Joves

effron wrote:

Joves wrote: Whether you realize it or not having that weight on there does matter.

Yes, and that's why when my camera is on a tripod, there is always a remote shutter trip attached as well.......:whistle:

:rofl:
Well I have not has a remote release for any of my digitals, and unfortunately cable releases will not work on them. I have a ton of those laying around.

10 years 3 months ago #335391 by Don Fischer
I use mirror lock up on my D70 to clean the sensor! On my RB 67 I use it all the time!

10 years 3 months ago #335449 by Stanly
Cleaning sensor, landscapes or macro, mirror lock up is a must use

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024