Why did you choose the brand of camera that you have?

9 years 11 months ago #374897 by One Creative Girl
Do you remember why you selected the brand?  I honestly can't think of why I went with Canon.  I want to say brand recognition from point and shoot days.  Other than that, I have no sound reason.  I got asked this today and it made me reflect on what was the reason, and do others have an actual technical or more thought out reason for going with what ever brand that they did.  Do you? 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374906 by Don Fischer
First camera I had was a very old Nikon. Every upgrade was another Nikon, lens all fit. Got into digital and had a lot of Nikon lens, why waste the lens? At this point Nikon bodies I've had are easy, relatively, to get around. If I went the another brand I'd have to learn that all over and get new lens. I don't believe one brand takes better photo's than another in one experienced shooter's hands nor that the overwhelming number of people that see them can tell them apart or even really care. Some people see some photo's they really love by a very good photographer and they want to know what kind of camera they were done with. In the hands of a very good photographer the camera brand really doesn't matter! Not to say the shooter wouldn't have his own preference, he would.

9 years 11 months ago #374920 by sgluck1
For me, it started in my sophomore year in college when I got a job as a salesman in the camera department of a new defunct department store. I got a Ricoh 519 rangefinder at a ridiculously cheap price. The camera was fine except it had no interchangeable lens. After college I got drafted and wound up going to Vietnam. While waiting for my ride to my station. I explored the PX at Ton Sen ut. Airbase. A Minolta SR-1b with a 1.7 Rokkor 55mm lens was calling me and I went for it. Somehow, over the next 50 or so  years I managed to collect every Minolta lens from  21mm to 500mm. Digitals SLR's came in and I still stayed analog until Minolta went out of the Camera business. I finally entered the digital age and bought a Sony a850. All of my Maxxum lenses fit and with a very simple adapted my manual focus Minolta lens work as well. Albeit, I rarely if ever use the manual focus  lenses on the Sony. It took me 5 years to feel proficient in Photoshop and I use Perfect Photo Suite 8 to do what I used to do in the darkroom.

9 years 11 months ago #374922 by KCook
Mostly by process of elimination.  Back then I thought the consumer grade Canon lenses would fit my style better than the other brands.  But now I find that I use Sigma and Tamron lenses as much as Canon, so that old reasoning was moot!  From the PT crypt -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-you-buy-your-camera

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #374925 by Ottis
For me, I knew more about the Canon brand, but I didn't like how the camera felt in my hands. After using a friends Nikon, I knew this was the brand for me and I bought my first Nikon.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374949 by effron
When I bought my first SLR, (Nikkormat FTN) I was working for/with a pro that owned some nice gear, and his 35mm cameras were all Nikon. I wanted to be able to use his lenses as I only got a 50mm and a 135mm with my new camera. Going digital, I didn't see changing manufacturers was the way to go, so I stuck with the best.....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374959 by Scott Klubeck
Most the people I know own a Canon, so it seemed like a good choice.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375027 by Luca
I just like the brand (Nikon)

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375032 by Oahu Photo
My Grandma bought me a weird Nikon camera in the 90's It was crazy multicolor so I always thought Nikon's were more for the younger crowd then Canons. That really isn't the case anymore but I still go with the Nikon. 

When I take tours I always hear the guests ask another guest what camera they have and when they hear different from their own I can almost always pick up a little defense about their choice. I simply say it's whatever your parents gave you, the salesman sold you or which camera had the better deal at the time is how we all ended up with what we got. 

Imaging asking the question in twenty years ... I bet the answer will still be the same but weather or not they were given a camera phone, mirror-less or Gopro.  
9 years 11 months ago #375265 by MYoung
I've always liked the brand and I know people who own Nikons.  Seemed like a good fit.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375310 by Stealthy Ninja
Video.

Plus Nikon fans are weird.
9 years 11 months ago #375311 by JeremyS
I knew nikon before owning my first DSLR, however I was open to using a canon, because I had no real preferences. I did some research and Nikon just seemed to call for me, canon however didn't as much. That is why I chose Nikon.

9 years 11 months ago #375316 by Rudy Sosa
Because Canon is the best!  :evil:

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375413 by Alan Nunez
Most of the time the gear I have used has been governed by the company that I work for and I have maintained a small kit on the side. About 15 years ago I worked at a company that I had to supply my our gear and all the Photog's where using nikon so it made sense to have the same. I have stuck with Nikon ever since and the total investment to change would be huge. Just for fun I compiles a short list of some of the gear I have either owned or had as my work kit over the years. These days my personal kit is Nikon and I do love the D3 (I am looking forwards to getting a D4 soon) but I am happy behind just about any camera:

My list of cameras that I remember anyway....A few I still have some I regret not keeping!
Pentax p30n  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pentax_products#P_series
Minolta 7xi & Minolta 9xi  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_9xi
Minolta 7000i  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_7000i
Bronica SQ 6x6 & Bronica ETRSi 645  camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zenza_Bronica_ETR
5x4inch large format studio camara (At college)  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sinar_F_-_vis%C3%A9e.jpg
Canon EOS 5  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5
Mamyia rz67  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamiya_RZ67
Nikon F4s  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F4
Nikon FM2  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_FM2
Nikon F5  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F5
Nikonos  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikonos
Nikon D1 & D1x  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D1
Nikon D2x  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIKON_D2X
Nikon D3  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D3
Fuji s2  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuji_S2  

9 years 11 months ago #375421 by MajorMagee
Initially Yashica, and later Olympus were the brands they carried in the Post Exchange where we shopped. After that it was a matter of maintaining compatibility with my previous lens investments.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024