Converting in RAW vs Exposure compensation

9 years 10 months ago #380752 by Remy Hedrick
If you were looking to make a 1 stop under or 1 stop over exposure, is there any difference when doing that with exposure compensation vs ACR? 

Photo Comments
The topic has been locked.
9 years 10 months ago #380761 by Stealthy Ninja
Umm.. if you overexpose with EC you risk forever blowing the highlights I suppose.
9 years 10 months ago #380783 by garyrhook
Shoot in RAW and adjust in post. You don't need EC.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380799 by KCook
I don't bother with 1/3 stop EC.  But I will make a 1/2 stop EC, or greater if the scene needs it.  Then fine tune the exposure in Lightroom.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 10 months ago #380890 by Adam Nagle
A  good reason to shoot in RAW

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381098 by Tim Dordeck
If I need to change or adjust the exposure, I'll just do it in ACR or Lightroom

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #381110 by william_cpa
I recommend using EC to increase exposure if you are sure you are not going to blow out background highlights. If there is a lot of white in the main subject causing the meter to under expose, then use EC and get it right in the camera. If you leave it to post you are risking noise in the shadows because raising the exposure levels in post has the same effect as increasing the ISO in the camera.

If the subject is predominantly dark with contrasting lighting causing over exposure, then, of course, dial down the EC and get it right in the camera.
9 years 10 months ago #381205 by Alan Nunez
Are you talking about bracketing? If so then bracket in camera. I don't use EC as it is easy to accidentally leave it on the wrong setting. I simply use my manual exposure and dial in the over & under shot. If I was shooting interiors and needed to do a bunch of bracketed shots I would use the built in bracketing function in the body,

9 years 10 months ago #381243 by william_cpa

Alan Nunez wrote: Are you talking about bracketing? If so then bracket in camera. I don't use EC as it is easy to accidentally leave it on the wrong setting. I simply use my manual exposure and dial in the over & under shot. If I was shooting interiors and needed to do a bunch of bracketed shots I would use the built in bracketing function in the body,

And what if you accidentally leave on the built in bracketing function on the body? ;)
9 years 10 months ago #381256 by KCook

william_cpa wrote:

Alan Nunez wrote: Are you talking about bracketing? If so then bracket in camera. I don't use EC as it is easy to accidentally leave it on the wrong setting. I simply use my manual exposure and dial in the over & under shot. If I was shooting interiors and needed to do a bunch of bracketed shots I would use the built in bracketing function in the body,

And what if you accidentally leave on the built in bracketing function on the body? ;)

I do a fair amount of AE bracketing (lazy photographer).  If the "drive" on my Canon is in Continuous mode, no problem, I will hear the shutter fire off the second shot.  But if the drive is in single frame mode, that can be a real gotcha when you forget the bracketing is turned on.  I wish Canon did not even allow bracketing in single frame mode, but then there are lots of things I wish for.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 10 months ago #381335 by Stealthy Ninja
Someone has to say they only shoot manual all the time... who will be first?
9 years 10 months ago #381361 by garyrhook
Ooh, ooh, me!!

I only shoot manual, all the time.

There, happy?

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381370 by william_cpa
Somebody called me a couple of years ago wanting to take a class at the school. She asked if we teach how to shoot in manual mode. I guessed that either somebody told her or she read online somewhere that real photographers only shoot in manual. So I asked her what had prompted her to want to learn to shoot in manual. I was very curious to learn where she had picked up this idea. She unleashed a tirade of abuse and hung up the phone so I never found out.

Since then I have had a couple of people walk out of the beginner class at lunch time after them telling me that they 'only shoot in manual' and me asking them why. When people tell me this I am genuinely interested in finding out why they do it but they never seem to have an answer to give me other than getting pissed.

These days, if anyone mentions that they 'always shoot in manual' I change the subject rather hastily.
9 years 10 months ago #381372 by KCook
Well, we see this on message boards a lot, and the answer is almost always "to be in complete control".

But I only use manual mode for technical projects myself.  Anybody who wants to walk out on me is welcome to do so.

PASkelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #381395 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: Well, we see this on message boards a lot, and the answer is almost always "to be in complete control".

But I only use manual mode for technical projects myself.  Anybody who wants to walk out on me is welcome to do so.

PASkelly

Yeh that's the reason.  Nothing wrong with auto modes, but once you work out manual it can be addictive.  I even mainly use manual focus now, not because AF is bad, I just like to manually focus.

I shoot in manual a lot because I like the control.  I don't want my SS to go below a certain amount just because my camera has decided 1 second is an appropriate shutter speed (maybe I should look into my camera's auto iso mode...)

However, in certain situations I'll shoot Av or Tv mode.  All depends on what I'm doing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024