Question about safety vs being rude?

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389777 by IzzieK
Does anybody here ever read all the responses in this post or do they respond only to the post before theirs? Please read carefully -- I did not say "open carry". I said "conceal carry". Safety is first and foremost as far as I am concerned about this situation. It is far better to be safe than sorry...if this sentence is not already a cliche...'nuf said.

9 years 9 months ago #389790 by icepics
I think laws vary depending on where you live but if you're going onto someone's private property, bringing in a weapon into their home without their knowledge or permission doesn't seem like an appropriate thing to do for a photo session. What if you're carrying it and happen to move in a way that they're able to see you have a gun? or one of their kids sees it? That seems to create a situation that could be problematic at the very least. Seems like there are alternatives for a photographer to be safe while working.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389891 by Stacy Craig
I didn't want to leave you all hanging, but thank you for the tips.  It's good to get other opinion on things when in doubt.  ;) 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics, IzzieK
9 years 9 months ago #389962 by IzzieK

icepics wrote: I think laws vary depending on where you live but if you're going onto someone's private property, bringing in a weapon into their home without their knowledge or permission doesn't seem like an appropriate thing to do for a photo session. What if you're carrying it and happen to move in a way that they're able to see you have a gun? or one of their kids sees it? That seems to create a situation that could be problematic at the very least. Seems like there are alternatives for a photographer to be safe while working.

Yes, if you are used to carrying you know where to put your gun without it being seen by anyone. So put your question the other way too and look at it this way: what if something bad happens to you -- will it be easier to pick up your cell and call 911? I am only 5' tall and 115 lbs. I will not put myself in any situation wherein I will be alone and two men -- in their own house? Safety is paramount to my case... 

9 years 9 months ago #389984 by effron
I have a CC permit, but if I were asked to do a shoot and didn't feel safe to the point where I feel the need to pack my weapon, I would simply decline. I mainly carry when alone on a trail somewhere, carrying thousands of gear on my person or all night shoots in questionable areas. I wouldn't pack in this situation. It must be tough being a female.........:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390112 by Joves

IzzieK wrote: Does anybody here ever read all the responses in this post or do they respond only to the post before theirs? Please read carefully -- I did not say "open carry". I said "conceal carry". Safety is first and foremost as far as I am concerned about this situation. It is far better to be safe than sorry...if this sentence is not already a cliche...'nuf said.

:rofl:
I saw that you said a concealed. But if I had booked a session with someone I felt I needed to be armed, then I would have never booked it. I am used to living in Arizona, and carrying in the open, and most people are used to seeing people carry. So me showing up to a session with a sidearm would be sort of unusual, but not totally out of place in the area. I have gone to weddings with my sidearm on. The only place I was never allowed to carry was is in my work truck, and on job sites. The first is because of Federal Regs regarding commercial trucks, ans that I used to work on the native reservations. On job sites it is the general rule, though about 90% of us had firearms in our personal vehicles on site. But I digress.
So I am with everyone in that bringing an assistant is not unusual to people. So they will not be offended, as long as that is all they see them as. You do not want your assistant having that guard dog mentality.

9 years 9 months ago #390120 by icepics
Well we seem to be getting off topic here (nah, not on a message board!) but I've done visits with just the dad (or grandpa) and the kid(s) only armed with a bag of toys! lol if I knew the family and had no concerns about being there alone. But it would depend on the situation and we had information when we got referrals so we would know if safety might be more of a concern than usual.

Probably most anyone carrying a gun knows how to do so properly but I don't think you can assume that there's no possibility of it being noticed (and sometimes people can be irresponsible or careless) - and I don't think it seems appropriate to bring it into someone's home without asking first.

You're probably right Dennis it depends on where you live, I'm way out on the outskirts but worked in a major city and the people there with the guns are mostly the friendly (<---sarcasm) neighborhood drug dealers. Of course we got to know people in the neighborhood and they knew us and why we were there so it's different than going into the unknown I think.

But depending on the circumstances it could probably be a good idea to not go by yourself. For a photo session most likely you wouldn't know the family so it probably wouldn't hurt to take someone to act as an assistant and then decide whether or not to do this type session again in the future.  

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024