Does your spouse support or understand your interest with photography?

9 years 6 months ago #406454 by garyrhook
I don't take my camera everywhere. I can't both enjoy / participate in an event and photograph it. I learned that that hard way, and now I am intentional about my photo outings. For those she is supportive (tolerant?). 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406501 by CanonKid
Gary brings up a very good point.  Those who are constantly plugged into digital have turned their back on humanity and what friendships are out there.  I'm not talking about friendships on Facebook, I'm talking about face to face 'good to meet  you as you look another person in their eyes'.  To many people are just connected to digital vs paying attention to people.  Put the cameras and smart phones down and maintain balance in your lives.  Hey I love technology, but when I first started I was guilty of what I'm speaking about.  My marriage almost failed because of me.  I wasn't controlling the time that I was spending around family and loved ones (I'm speaking of zero digital distractions). My wife and I would be at dinner and I'd be surfing B&H or browsing flickr photo galleries.  OR we would be spending our Saturday on what should be family time, the problem was I was more involved in taking photos.  Yes we were together and there was some dialog going back and forth.  However my mind, my attention wasn't 100% on 'us'.  It's funny, the moment I realized what was happening and decided to take action, life bloomed.  Friday nights is our date night and I don't even take my phone with me.  Saturday is still family day, but no DSLR, smart phone is OK.  It's a simple step too set balance in your life.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406873 by Joves
I am always sociable even while I have my camera. I always have been, even in the film days. Just because I have my camera does not mean I am not paying attention to others, or what is going on around me. There is a difference between being plugged into a device, and merely having it. I will agree that far too many are digitally absorbed to the point of being antisocial. When you have a group of people that are with each other texting to each other instead of talking there is a problem. It is a matter of degrees, and knowing where the balance is. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024