Why don't people like shooting in program mode?

12 years 10 months ago #99847 by Dave Burburry
Everyone that I know frowns on shooting in program mode. Personally I have not ventured into program mode, now it's pretty close to being full auto mode isn't it?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #99849 by mj~shutterbugg
As far as I know it's auto with some tweaks. I never head there myself, DH on the other hand...

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #99869 by Nikonjan
Program isn't much different than Auto, it selects everything for you. Although you can decide if you want to pop up the flash or not, where auto will do it automatically. I prefer to shoot on Apeture so I can control depth of field but it will select the shutter speed or if I need to make sure I have a fast shutter speed I will go with Shutter. If I'm using flash I will go with manual.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago #99871 by The Time Capturer
The problem with program mode is lack of creativity. If you want to freeze the action or blur the background, you are relying on the camera to make that decision for you and it tends to disappoint.

I use it on occasion with the kids when they are engaged in an activity that is constantly changing at a rapid pace. I would miss a lot of captured moments if I had to keep changing the camera settings.

Generally, I use shutter priority or, for nature closeups, aperture priority for blurry backgrounds.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #99931 by Dave Burburry
So it's a glorified auto mode after all :whistle:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #99945 by The Time Capturer
I have never really looked at the differences, but the big one for me is I can shoot RAW images in "priority" but not "auto."

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #99967 by Graflex 4x5
Using Program or Auto for me is like trying to tie your shoe laces with your thumbs tied together .... Rather restricted.

As with the other posters, I need to have control of how I take an image, which AF zone is active, metering mode even which white balance I use. In auto or Prog. mode, I can't even control the camera's pop up flash or ISO setting ... the camera does all the thinking.

So for me, it's a lack of creative control that keeps me away from those modes.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 10 months ago #99979 by Vespista
I tend to stick with Manual rather than Program, but mainly because I'm trying to learn all I can.
A friend laughs at me and says "P for Pro and M for Moron"!
How rude.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #99995 by The Time Capturer
Definitely nothing moronic about knowing how to set the camera to capture the images the way you intend them to be captured.

12 years 10 months ago #100001 by Stealthy Ninja

Vespista wrote: I tend to stick with Manual rather than Program, but mainly because I'm trying to learn all I can.
A friend laughs at me and says "P for Pro and M for Moron"!
How rude.

Tell him he got it wrong, it's P for Probational and M for Master.

We all know a "Pro" is an amateur with good marketing anyway.
12 years 10 months ago #100037 by Chilli
P=Problem for me. I like to have control over what the camera does.

12 years 10 months ago #100039 by Stealthy Ninja

Chilli wrote: P=Problem for me. I like to have control over what the camera does.

Personally I like to let mine roam free in the mountains. :thumbsup:
12 years 10 months ago #100047 by Rob pix4u2
For me manual is the way to go, that what light meters are for and I like to set the camera up for the image that I want. Shooting in program doesn't work real well in sports

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #100055 by KCook
I sometimes do use Program mode. The difference from Auto mode is that Program gives you access to all of the camera's settings. Auto is usually very restricted. The difference from Manual is that Program makes the initial settings for you. Quicker than fussing with the EV error scale and pointer. If you already have a firm idea of what the aperture or shutter speed needs to be, then no point in using Program mode. If you see aperture and shutter speeds as rubber bands, then Program mode may get you to an acceptable setup quicker. Depends on the situation and just how fussy you are.

But calling Program mode as the same as Auto mode is really lame. The differences are pretty serious.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #100103 by MLKstudios
I use P along with the EV setting, sometimes. Depends what I am shooting.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024