Pls suggest a lens

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #208093 by suraneniaditya
Got my first DSLR Cannon 550D, last Oct. The kit lens 18-55, worked fine for me until now. want to move on. Pls suggest the next best for a beginner.

Adi

12 years 1 month ago #208094 by mklinejr
what do you want to take photos of?

Portraits try a 50mm f1.4 or a 80-200 f2.8

it really depends on the subject matter though, need a bit more info

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #208096 by Baydream
:agree: Depends on what you want to shoot. For Wildlife a longer zoom, low light a faster prime. I have both and a lot depends on your subject and your budget. Prices can range from about $100 (50mm f/1.8) to tens of thousands.
Until this year I was using an XT (300D from about 2004) and an XSi (450D). I have the kit lens, the 50mm and a 70-300IS that I bought with my EOS Rebel film unit.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #208102 by rmeyer7
First of all:
:welcomeclan

As for your question, like everyone else said, it definitely depends what you want to shoot. It will also depend somewhat on your budget. If you're looking for an upgrade in image quality, there are a lot of suggestions we could make but they're going to be more expensive.

If you're looking for a longer lens so you can shoot farther away, there are lenses ranging from very affordable to very expensive. Within that group, there are certain ones you'd want to look at if you're shooting sports and action (faster lenses, which are on the expensive end of the spectrum) and then others that are good if you just need the extra zoom range without the speed (on the more affordable end).

If you want to shoot portraits, you'd probably want to look at a prime lens. A 50mm is a great length for portraits on a 550D, but again there are several and all have different price points.

If you want to shoot macro, then that's a whole other group of lenses. I think that kind of gives you an idea of just how diverse the variety of lenses is, and what type of information we would need in order to give you the best possible suggestions.

12 years 1 month ago #208104 by KCook
I'm a landscape guy, so my 2nd lens was a wide angle zoom, 10-20. Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #208120 by suraneniaditya
Many thanks Meyer, Klinjer. Now, am more sure about what to ask. Mostly I shoot portraits and land scapes etc. when out for a weekend. Im not a frequent user. I guess it will take a while before i venture into using expensive equipment. Started experimenting with what I have and felt like need some more to experiment. Looking at 50mm and stuck between 55-250 and 70-300 zooms.

12 years 1 month ago #208162 by TheNissanMan
The 50mm 1.8 is a cracking lens an cheap for what you get so defiantely recommended. from the two zooms it is a hard call. The 55-250 is stunning again for the price but the 70-300 is another superb lens for the money and gives you the extra reach.

Only downside I had with the 70-300 is the reach , I didn't have mine long before trading up to the 100-400. If you are not 100% sure why you need a specific lens I would hold off as you'll end up losing money when you realise it isnt the right lens for the job...

12 years 1 month ago #208258 by mattmoran
If you shoot mostly portraits and landscapes, your kit lens might be in the right focal length range. Do you often find yourself wishing it is either longer or shorter? If not, maybe you just want something higher quality.

For landscapes you are probably shooting at f/8 or f/11 a lot and your kit lens should perform well. For portraits, you may find your kit lens to be too slow to get good DOF. A 50mm prime would be a good choice. (f/1.8, f/1.4 or f/1.2 depending on your budget.)

Another option (depending on your budget) is a higher quality zoom such as the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.

-Matt
12 years 1 month ago #208311 by rmeyer7
Great suggestions. For me, when I had my Rebel camera, the lenses I used most were the kit lens (until I replaced it with a higher quality zoom), 50mm f/1.8, and the 55-250. That was a perfect trio for most uses until I was ready to invest in a high end lens.

As far as the telephotos you're looking at, that's definitely a tough choice. I don't have Canon's 70-300, but I can definitely tell you the 55-250's sharpness and outstanding IS are impressive. You'd expect a lens that performs so well to cost more than it does for sure.

This is just my two cents -- so take it for what it's worth -- but for me a good deciding factor would be whether or not you're interested in learning to shoot wildlife. If so, get the 70-300 and you'll make use of the little bit of extra focal length. If not, get the 55-250 and I bet you'll be happy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: suraneniaditya

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024