**How to take street Portraits!

13 years 1 month ago #37841 by wedding 2015
I once had a job, to where I had to hand out samples of a new kind of poptart. Very few people were interested. Which is interesting in itself, because it's food. So after having this job, I have decided, I will not ask the public for anything, that includes taking their portrait.

13 years 1 month ago #39369 by Cool_G5
Nice video but I feel its application will vary from region to region. For e.g a particular region has people more outgoing & cool with being photographed whereas in subcontinent countries like India people are sceptical of being shot by a stranger photographer. Even if they manage to pose for the shot, they would be conscious & would act like somebody has hold them at a gunpoint. Somebody from subcontinent country needs to come up with such a video so that one can learn how to deal with those type of people.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #39376 by chasrich
I get a great deal of enjoyment from street shooting. Yesterday I was at a flea market... Here are a few of the shots I collected... Talk about a target rich environment.

[attachment:10]C:\fakepath\IMG_6910_resize.JPG[/attachment]

I admit looking a bit like Santa helps me get away with some stuff. But for the most part you can spot the ones that are wanting to show off a bit and any passer by that comments becomes fair game. A few people ask me what I'm doing with the photos... I tell them it will all become clear when the blackmail note comes in the mail. :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: colinemill
13 years 1 month ago #41152 by Dan Dangerfield
This guy is a champ! :judge: I would like to see more of the how he stopped people in the video.

13 years 1 month ago #41364 by enhenyero
this is one thing I can not do! Since I am too shy to approach stranger...:toetap:
12 years 9 months ago #117772 by Chuck Alaimo Photography
Neat idea! I've been working events now for about a year, at first it was mostly bands and candid until I landed a regular gig which requires lots of "smile for the camera" shots. I had to get over my shyness real quick to do my job. The more you get used to asking, would you mind if I... the easier it gets
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #117893 by colinemill
Hi Chasrich, if you read the title of this article again you'll notice it's called how to take street PORTRAITS!
Street photography is, mostly, about being candid & stealthy but this little film is about grabbing people on the street, placing them in front of a background and taking their portrait, on the spur of the moment.
Also this guy isn't from England. He's a native New Yorker! (if Wikipedia is to be believed)

12 years 9 months ago #117895 by colinemill
Nice set of images, especially the guy sleeping in among the bird boxes!

12 years 9 months ago #117896 by chasrich

colinemill wrote: Nice set of images, especially the guy sleeping in among the bird boxes!

Thank you. I understand your point about being candid and stealthy. Is this more like what you meant?

Welcome to our forums BTW... I'm glad to see you start off posting right away. :welcomeclan

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #117899 by MLKstudios
How's this for a hybrid:

Patrons of Bar Sinister, Hollywood Blvd, Hasselblad 503cx, 3AM

;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #117901 by MLKstudios
I shot some color too.

X-processed:

Normal (type C Print):

Copyright 2011© MLKstudios

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #117905 by chasrich
Hollywood at night seems like a scary place. A little like year round Halloween. :woohoo:

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #117906 by MLKstudios
They were mostly upper middle class kids, and were very polite -- one I spoke to worked in a bank.

Not everyone is at 3AM though. Had to punch a few drag queens that grabbed my R6.

;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago #118004 by Number 7

MLKstudios wrote: They were mostly upper middle class kids, and were very polite -- one I spoke to worked in a bank.

Not everyone is at 3AM though. Had to punch a few drag queens that grabbed my R6.

;)

:rofl: :rofl:

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #235336 by Vespista
Very inspiring, but too 'out there' for me. I was interested in how the shots had little or no shadows on the faces. Great results from a D3 with no flash, but I'm sure there would be a reflector involved somewhere!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024