Hadrian's Oculus

5 years 2 months ago #631784 by traveling-scooter-pics19

5 years 2 months ago #632073 by Breanna Ellington
Nice perspective! 

The following user(s) said Thank You: traveling-scooter-pics19
5 years 2 months ago #632076 by GaryA
I love this!  The hole in the dome is lightly distorted ... I don't know if making the hole circular would improve the image any as, most likely, you'd have to crop in from the edges.  Lately, people have been speculating if the ancient dome holes were used as sundials. Really nice tonal range.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #632120 by traveling-scooter-pics19
The “eye” or oculus is the only source of lighting within this Roman structure. The oculus is an important architectural feature for many reasons; the light it provides is important as no direct sunlight can enter from the door during the course of the whole year given the northward orientation of the entrance doorway.

The symbol of the "oculus" within the structure is significant for another reason- it symbolizes the union of earth and sky that allows human prayer to ascend to the heavens unimpeded.

5 years 2 months ago #632940 by Kelly Emery
Good perspective! 

5 years 2 months ago #633681 by Hannah Williams
The pattern and the angle made the dome more attractive. Not to mention the circular light at the top part. Visually stunning shot. 

5 years 2 months ago #634046 by traveling-scooter-pics19
Hi Hannah,

Thank you for the kind words!

5 years 2 months ago #635643 by Rohan Tushar
it is a good shot overall. The only thing I noticed is that the top crop in the circle; it's a bit too tight I think. 

5 years 1 month ago #635994 by Sara Miles
The pattern is interesting. It needs light though to emphasize the details. 

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #636404 by Kira Minori
The beautiful architecture is well-depicted in this shot. Good job! 

5 years 1 month ago #638876 by Steve Rodriguez
Nice strong shaped in bold patterns. It creates a good movement in the shot. 

5 years 1 week ago #642589 by Sarit Kevesh
What's in the light above? Glass for the light?

4 years 11 months ago #646065 by Jack Mason
Good pattern but the highlights are a bit blown. The details are fine. 

4 years 11 months ago #646068 by Nikon Shooter

Jack Mason wrote: the highlights are a bit blown.

Naaah… not at all as I see it. The details are there and,
most importantly, the light ratio with the blacks show
a well captured and expressed DR over all… just me.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #646211 by Sarit Kevesh
I agree with NS. I think this is a fine shot. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024