Need Canon lens advice

12 years 4 months ago #179814 by Rob pix4u2
My son just bought a Canon T3i (GASP!!!) and I'm a Nikon shooter so I need some advice on used lenses for him . He will primarily be doing Video (Gasp again ) with the camera for a class that he will be taking spring semester.. any help from the Canon community here would be much appreciated. He currently has the 18-55mm kit lens.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 4 months ago #179818 by butterflygirl921
-i would get him a 75-300 mm lens or the 55-250 mm lens i have the t1i and i have a 18-55 mm and 75-300mm although the gap is a pain that i cant fill the void but it works and i like having both lenses.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Trent photography
12 years 4 months ago #179820 by Rob pix4u2
What lens generation does the 3ti take I am not familiar with Canon nomenclature- is the EF series the only lenses that will match the camera ?

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 4 months ago #179825 by Gary Trent photography
Thanx butterflygirl921

For the student the 55-250 mm is more than ideal, although
the 18-55 mm is even more ideal.
If I were the tutor I would insist that he learn this lens first.

May I ask why you are "gasping" at the T3i ???
It's an awesome camera (esp) for a beginner !

www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Cano...-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 4 months ago #179830 by Rob pix4u2
Tongue in cheek Gary as I have been a Nikon shooter for over twenty years and am very familiar with the Nikon product line and nomenclature. I am a complete noob with Canon gear and so now I will have to become familiar with the newer Canon line if I am to help him with his camera/lenses/gear. It's a fine camera but as I said I am unfamiliar with Canon

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 4 months ago #179841 by mj~shutterbugg
Rob, I do believe he has to stick with the EF mounts. It's an EOS camera. Here, direct from the B&H site:

EF Lenses
The EOS Rebel T3i is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, including compact and lightweight EF-S lenses, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver outstanding performance and deliver beautiful results. Special technologies like the Canon Image Stabilizer technology in select lenses helps to minimize the effect of camera shake, effectively adding up to four stops of light. With a dizzying array of lenses perfect for travel, sports, still life and everything in between, photographers can truly maximize the quality and performance of their EOS Rebel T3i with superlative Canon optics.

I recommend he or you call B&H and ask them which lens specifically will work for Video, as I think certain ones are better than others. I don't use the video function too much so my reg. lenses are fine for my purposes.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 4 months ago #179846 by rmeyer7
The 55-250mm that Amanda mentioned is a fantastic option for Canon's crop-sensor cameras. It's much sharper than you'd expect for the price point, partly because the image stabilization on that lens is top-notch.

Also just to make sure it's clear, EF lenses are compatible with all Canon's DSLRs, while EF-S lenses are only compatible with their crop bodies.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg
12 years 4 months ago #179848 by Rob pix4u2
Thanks Y'all for the advice- now I know what to start looking for

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 4 months ago #179851 by Baydream
Thought I would look around for comments on this (I may consider a Canon with video soon). Some of the comments are interesting but a lot is non-video related. One comment I liked was that go non-IS for video and use a tripod. Save weight and money. Guess if I get one, my 70-300 IS will have to do but it is weighty. The 55-250 was mentioned several times.

forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-eos-dsl...deo-lens-choice.html

photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00YQ1x

www.hv20.com/showthread.php?41704-Best-I...t-%28Suggestions-%29

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #179871 by KCook
I don't shoot video, but lurking on forums, there seems to be a preference for fast primes for this. Anyhoo, more linkys -

photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1085420

www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=163734

www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1057987

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 months ago #179874 by Rob pix4u2
Thanks for the links John and Kelly- very informative

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 4 months ago #180000 by icepics
Rob the main difference is basically that the EF lenses are bigger round (circumference) so they don't fit the older Canon bodies with FD or FL mounts (and vice versa). The EOS bodies with EF mounts are newer film and digital; the FD/FL are older manual cameras.

If your son would be interested in used, I've always done well with KEH; I feel like I can trust their condition ratings. I just glanced at their latest catalog and they have a lot of Canon autofocus lenses; they don't have as many that are just for digital. I think that many of the autofocus lenses will work with both film and digital bodies; the ones made just for digital cameras supposedly won't work with film cameras. They do have non-manufacturer lenses like Sigma etc.

I'd suggest too finding out specifically what he will need for class (unless he know already) or what type assignments he'll have - might help to know what he'd be shooting. Some schools teach film, darkroom, digital - the whole gamut. Sounds like with the camera he'd be using that his class is digital (and video - which I'm not familar with).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #180048 by Rob pix4u2
Thanks Sharon - It's mainly video and digital for the class so I was leaning toward the 55-250mm lens and a wide angle -possibly a prime for his video because he works with a heavy metal band when he has the time and shoots them .

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #180147 by KCook
Actually, for WA stage shots I'd be more inclined to go with a WA zoom than a prime. I think the prime prime zone (sorry, I'm weak and could not resist) is the mild telephotos.

Examples of closeups with a WA zoom -

kellycook.zenfolio.com/p1062712290

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 months ago #180182 by Rob pix4u2
Thanks Kelly

Rob Huelsman Sr.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024