how do you take a picture in the car when the car is moving?

13 years 3 months ago #12387 by luckywish1
how do you take a picture in the cat when the car is moving. yesterday i went downtown to go to my class and on my way to class i saw a eagle downtown in moseslake across the bridge and we couldnt stop the car to take the picture because we were going across the bridge and they dont let you stop the car to take a picture on a bridge gigggles

13 years 3 months ago #12429 by Rob pix4u2
I use the highest shutter speed I can get with the aperture set at f 11 to f 22 depending on the lighting conditions. Your foreground will be blurry but the distance will be fairly sharp to sharp enough to make a decent print of 8 x10 size.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #12443 by Stealthy Ninja
Rob's advice is fine for wide landscapes. But not so great for an eagle.

Honestly, photographing an eagle flying by while moving in you car is pretty demanding and probably pointless. You see, you'll need to zoom in as much as you can, which causes instability and moving in the car isn't gonna help that much.

If I had to try, I'd try and get as much shutter speed as possible and keep the f-stop at about f/8 to have a reasonable chance to keep the eagle within the DOF. I guess if you can put it at f/8 and get your shutter speed to be about 1/500... it might be possible (depending on the focal length you're using).

Basically, try and keep your shutterspeed as high as possible.

I've taken photographs at 200mm from a boat moving in fairly rough (about 2 metre swell) waters.

I kept my SS as high as possible and honestly can't remember the f-stop I used... but here's one of the photos:
img\def

Zig Zag, wave good bye fish by adrianevans , on Flickr
13 years 3 months ago #12457 by scarman1313
another laptopanother SLR and the rest with a macro lens.

13 years 3 months ago #12496 by scarman1313
hmmm somehow the post above ended up here and it should have been under the 5000 to buy what you want topic. Well anyway You dont want to hang your head out the window or it might tear your head off when a truck or car goes buy and you dont want to take photos while driving as this might be as bad or worst then driving while texting.

13 years 3 months ago #12632 by crystal
As Rob said use a fast shutter speed. It works on landscapes and it can work on wildlife but depending on the location of the wildlife (far away or close up).

I understand you were on a bridge, but if that was me. If no one was behind me, I would stop and take the picture. Matter of fact, my husband and I have already done such things like that. We can be in an area where you can't stop on the road or don't park along side the road. If no one is around, we do to get that shot.

This past summer, we were driving down interstate 80. My husband was driving. I saw a hawk sitting on a wooden fence pole along side the interstate. I had my husband stop on the shoulder and he back up to where the hawk was. I got 1 shot as it took off, this was from inside the car with the 50-500mm

Sometimes you need to just stop and get that shot. It could just be the money maker. (even if you don't plan on making money from your work, it could be the best shot). And sometimes, you just need to enjoy what you see and realize you won't get the shot. So just sit back and enjoy wildlife while you drive on by. (which should have been my case for the hawk on the highway) :unsure:
13 years 3 months ago #12714 by luckywish1
and you know i feel like the eagle was a blessing the other day too. because i thought that they didnt have eagles in moseslake boy was i wrong for sure i saw the eagle fly right over the top of us and perfect view from my window in the car when we were across the bridge. so for now on i willl take the camera with me in the car just in case i find something that catch my eyes again. and alway have the camera ready to shot. it sure hs been a big lesson to me too. last year in july i also saw a eagle at wannacut lake in loomis. we drove the boat 50 feet away from the eagle and i thought my camera would get it. well i got it but it not that clear. so my husband is buying me a better camera and better lens and i will try it again when i see a eagle again. the camera that i have right now is kodak easyshare and it doesnt do eagles that good at all. but it does do great landscapes and ducks and geese, and sunrise and sunset. and i have a lot to learn still too. the camera that my husband is going to get me is a nikon d3100 or nikon d5000

13 years 3 months ago #12975 by Pops
The bridge is down town, about 1/4 mile long and no shoulder. Heavy traffic at any time of day. Absolutely no way to stop. To get to a parking area you have to circle a 1/2 mile block and come back to the end of the bridge, so there is no way you are going to get there before the bird is gone.

there is no way to get a good shot from the moving car in this particular situation. Just keep in mind that, if the eagle is working this area, he will be back, sometime. I have gone back to the Landing and waited for hours at a time, several days in a row, to get one of those shots. Sometimes it works. Shooting from a moving car almost never works.

Pops

13 years 3 months ago #12992 by photobod
Good advice so far, sometimes its just nice to enjoy the view, especially if you have the chance to watch an eagle in flight, having chatted to you before Penny I doubt your existing camera would have gotten the shot you wanted, when you upgrade as you are planning to do soon then the chance may come again, but bridges are not all that safe to stop on in my opinion, depends on the road of course.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #13013 by luckywish1
the bridge in moseslake doesnt allow people to stop on it gigggles but next time i will have my camera ready to do it gigggles

13 years 3 months ago #13023 by luckywish1
that is so true teacher gigggles

13 years 3 months ago #13047 by Rob pix4u2

Pops wrote: The bridge is down town, about 1/4 mile long and no shoulder. Heavy traffic at any time of day. Absolutely no way to stop. To get to a parking area you have to circle a 1/2 mile block and come back to the end of the bridge, so there is no way you are going to get there before the bird is gone.

there is no way to get a good shot from the moving car in this particular situation. Just keep in mind that, if the eagle is working this area, he will be back, sometime. I have gone back to the Landing and waited for hours at a time, several days in a row, to get one of those shots. Sometimes it works. Shooting from a moving car almost never works.

Pops

I have shot many pix from a moving vehicle with good results - landscapes mostly but some wildlife. it comes from shooting action in fast moving sports like hockey where you have to follow the action and be ready at a moments notice to get your shot. As I said earlier the foreground will be a blur but the distant area will be sharp if you use enough shutter speed and steady your camera well (not on the window ledge). There are situations as Crystal said where you can stop and situations where you cannot. A good camera body and a good lens make up for a lot of sub-optimal shooting conditions. This shot was taken from a moving ferry in Prince William Sound in Alaska of Columbia Glacier as an example (4 foot seas )

Next is a shot of the Blue Angels at Mach 1 while panning

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #13154 by Pops
Rob, what you say is very true, but keep in mind that Penny is only a couple of months into learning how to talk to her cameras. :D This is a beginner's forum, after all.

There are ways that experienced photographers get good shots when the subject and the camera are moving in different directions, at different speeds. That comes with experience.

Pops

13 years 3 months ago #13166 by luckywish1
thank you guys for helping me understand things too. and i am just a beginner too

13 years 3 months ago #13295 by luckywish1
here is the bridge we were talking about the other day wshere i saw the eagle fly but i couldnt stop to take the picture of it

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024