New to Studio Lighting - C&C welcome and wanted

12 years 3 months ago #188923 by MWAC
I just recently got a starter lighting kit and even thou I'm still pretty scared of it I've actually open the box and given it a go. Please let me know what you think and how I can improve.

Canon 40D
SS 1/50
f/3.5
ISO 160

Canon 40D
SS 1/40
F/3.5
ISO 160

Canon 40D
SS 1/50
F/3.5
ISO 160

First light is in the left front corner, pointed 45 degrees down toward subject. Second light is in back right corner pointed at about 35 degree angle down skimming back drop paper, also it's powered down a little compaired to the first. Both umbrella lights, shot into umbrellas and bounced back toward subject.

12 years 3 months ago #188927 by Gary Trent photography
Your on your way to "stardom" . . . . . Mom with a Camera !
Your models are very cooperative too !

(could you please retouch the little red marks out around
the mouth of portrait #1) ?

GT . . . . . :cheers:

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 3 months ago #188938 by PNMBritt
Don't you just love the white seamless backdrops. What system did you go with?

In life there have always been those who make fire; but most just sit around the fire and enjoy the warmth. A great mind absent of action is waste.
12 years 3 months ago #188946 by John37
Wow! These are really great! nice and sharp.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
12 years 3 months ago #188952 by MWAC

Gary Trent photography wrote: Your on your way to "stardom" . . . . . Mom with a Camera !
Your models are very cooperative too !

(could you please retouch the little red marks out around
the mouth of portrait #1) ?

GT . . . . . :cheers:

Thanks, ya I missed the candy cane stain. I was all excited about them actually posing for me, lol.

PNMBritt wrote: Don't you just love the white seamless backdrops. What system did you go with?

It's a continuous lighting kit from Cowboy Studios, it came with a muslin backdrop but purchased a smoke grey paper backdrop instead, I like the look of the paper a lot more.

12 years 3 months ago #189259 by D3pr355
I think you did an excellent job!
BTW, I love your signature..just a mom with a camera. :thumbsup:

12 years 3 months ago #189446 by MWAC

D3pr355 wrote: I think you did an excellent job!
BTW, I love your signature..just a mom with a camera. :thumbsup:

Thank you!

Ya I figured I'd embrace it and run: with it. :P

12 years 3 months ago #189710 by Bobby
You did a really good job. How long have you been shooting portraits?

The following user(s) said Thank You: MWAC
12 years 3 months ago #189805 by JAGriff
Beautiful work!!! Keep shooting and experimenting with different setups.

A photo is more than just a picture. It is a moment captured in time.

www.wix.com/jagriff/jeffreyagriffinphotography

12 years 3 months ago #189808 by photobod
This is actually my speciality, I think you have done yourself proud, clean background, good posing, good lighting although I would turn down that main light just a touch as its burning out the skin too much, the smoke grey is the best background ever as you can get a black, grey or white background with it and if you purchase some colored gels then you could have any color B/G you wanted.
The name I am not to keen on, a lot of people will think you are not professional enough for them if you are clearly advertising that you are just a mom with a camera, although your photography says otherwise.
Post more please I enjoyed these, by the way keep the lipstick smears as they are that is how most young girls end up anyway and it shows their fun side. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 3 months ago #189823 by MWAC

Bobby wrote: You did a really good job. How long have you been shooting portraits?

Thank you.

I got my 40D 16 months ago, really started to take learning seriously about a year ago and switched off auto and turned to manual. I haven't tried anything with lights until my husband got me this 2 light starter kit for christams. These where from my 3rd try with them.

Please forgive any typos, I'm on my phone.

12 years 3 months ago #189825 by MWAC

photobod wrote: This is actually my speciality, I think you have done yourself proud, clean background, good posing, good lighting although I would turn down that main light just a touch as its burning out the skin too much, the smoke grey is the best background ever as you can get a black, grey or white background with it and if you purchase some colored gels then you could have any color B/G you wanted.
The name I am not to keen on, a lot of people will think you are not professional enough for them if you are clearly advertising that you are just a mom with a camera, although your photography says otherwise.
Post more please I enjoyed these, by the way keep the lipstick smears as they are that is how most young girls end up anyway and it shows their fun side. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge:

Thank you. I'l turn down the main light next time and see how it looks.

I'm not a professional, never had a client. I truley am Just A Mom With A Camera. I am no where ready to hang a shingle and call myself a business, and I at this time I have no desire to take on clients, the scare me more than studio lighting. :)

12 years 3 months ago #189826 by photobod

MWAC wrote:

photobod wrote: This is actually my speciality, I think you have done yourself proud, clean background, good posing, good lighting although I would turn down that main light just a touch as its burning out the skin too much, the smoke grey is the best background ever as you can get a black, grey or white background with it and if you purchase some colored gels then you could have any color B/G you wanted.

Thank you. I'l turn down the main light next time and see how it looks.

I'm not a professional, never had a client. I truley am Just A Mom With A Camera. I am no where ready to hang a shingle and call myself a business, and I at this time I have no desire to take on clients, the scare me more than studio lighting. :)

I can honestly say that you appear to be very competent with your camera and lighting, why not try a few friends kids out first or some relatives kids and advance yourself along that way, I see no reason why you couldnt make a living out of photographing children, just my opinion of course.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: MWAC
12 years 3 months ago #194241 by missi_x_3
If you dont mind me asking....Which setup did you purchase from Cowboy Studios? I am also new at lighting and am trying to find something affordable and worth the money.

12 years 2 months ago #202846 by mconnell09
Great job!
I am interested in knowing where you got your backdrop from? Maybe you can tell me also specifically "what it is.?"
I mean I know it is grey paper, but more specifically.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024