What kind of nd filter for timelapse

4 years 2 months ago #674471 by Tim Giertz
I want to try doing a timelapse, but was reading a blog post on FB and someone was mentioning you need a nd filter.  I then Googled ND filters and saw there are so many of these.  Sold ones, graduated ones and so forth.  

I went on reading more about doing time lapses and noticed not everyone talks about needing a ND filter.  

So do you?  If so, which one?

:thx2:

4 years 2 months ago #674482 by Brachenland
I'm sure you're going to get several sides to this topics. But INO, a graduated ND filter could be used for just this instance because it would accentuate the background or skyline leaving the foreground unannounced, allowing the water etc to have a flowing or flaunt motions as well as the sky. But the full or solid ND filter would accentuate all of the above. Often this means thoroughly testing all brands in order to locate the filter best suited for your images.  So to say one filter is better than another.. I can't comment on this other than, I would use a drop in/square filter where I personally would have more control.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674491 by Shadowfixer1
You don't need an ND filter for timelapse unless you are going for a special effect. I'm not sure where that thought came from. Exposure is exposure and a timelapse is just many single exposures linked together in a movie format. Think of how you want one single exposure to look, then that will determine if you need an ND filter or not. 
4 years 2 months ago #674494 by garyrhook
You don't need a filter to get started. You have to figure, for your subject, the frequency of exposures, and then decide if you need anything to reach your goal.

For example, if you were shooting clouds on a bright day (appr. 3 seconds between exposures) you might find that after stopping down to f/8, and using ISO 100, that you have to have a shutter time of 1/400 s (Sunny 16 rule). But clouds need movement, so you want to blur them. To get that, what you need is a shutter speed of 1 s. or longer. But that's too bright!

What to do? This is where an ND filter would be handy.

It's all about balancing aperture, ISO and shutter speed. An ND filter shifts those choices.

All that said, go out earlier/later in the day and start experimenting. Until you do it, you don't know what you want.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024