How do you know a photo will print well?

2 months 4 days ago #679848 by Tsoto
Now a days I have a ton of extra time at home, but my funds are kind of lean, and I need to make things stretch.  Which means when I print photos, I want to make sure I don't waist ink and paper.  I printed a couple yesterday and honestly they didn't turn out a nice as they looked on the computer screen. 

Any tips you can share?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 4 days ago #679888 by garyrhook
1) You need to acquire and use a colorimeter to ensure that what you see (on the monitor) is accurate. A modest ColorMunki or iDisplay, or Spyder, is perfectly suitable.

Next, you make the effort to figure out how to print properly with your printer. That's going to include having the appropriate ICC profiles on your system, turning off anything in the printer driver that will muck with the image (including color management) and using soft proofing in Lightroom (or whatever) to find out if you're in gamut, and if your print has any hope of turning out.

IOW, it's a process, and takes time and effort to learn. But a calibrated display is pretty much non-negotiable.

Photo Comments

2 months 4 days ago #679897 by Stefan-Olsson
I dont know anything about printing, but I did print about 4 images 20x30 a few months ago. I quickly learned that they did not look neccesarily the same printed as on screen. My screen is not calibrated, im sure that would help a lot. The people at fine art gallery here in town also mentioned that you tend to edit differently for print. Just something i vary lately try to get in to. Furthermore...How will it be viewed? up close? 10 feet away? What color wall is it hangin on? Lighting? like I said I know nothing, but I quickly learned one thing, it's a whole different art to printing.....An art that probably takes time effort and money to perfect im sure:)

Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #679907 by Shadowfixer1
The biggest issue I have seen with printing isn't color calibration, it has been image brightness. Most people without experience printing, edit on a monitor that is way too bright. When they print the image it will come out too dark. I do calibrate my monitor but I'm not religious about it. Take note that the cheaper calibration tools do not calibrate monitor brightness. They have tests that help you set the brightness but that's all. The more expensive calibration tools will calibrate the brightness and if you get the really expensive pro grade stuff, it will include calibration tools for your printer. It creates an ICC profile for each paper you calibrate.
The best way is to print a small snippet of the image if printing at home to see how it looks. 

2 months 3 days ago #679915 by Tsoto
WOW, turns out there is a lot to this.  So what if you use two computers?  Would both have to have their displays matching each other?  Would that program you mentioned to calibrate work (Spyder)?

Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago - 2 months 3 days ago #679922 by Shadowfixer1
All computers used should be calibrated. That is one of the purposes of doing it. Everything matches no matter which one you use. I personally use a Spyder. 

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

There are more ways to carry camera gear than the strap that came with your camera. Give one of these beautiful, well-made, comfortable options a try.

May 20, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020