16 bit printing on Canon PIXMA Pro 10

4 years 3 months ago #672116 by Tim Wiener
I just picked up this printed and while getting ready to print a shot as I normally do in Lightroom, I noticed on the right it now says "16 bit output", I can't remember if that was there before.  Honestly I can't recall.  

How is this different?  Will I get more detail in my print?

Thanks guys.

Tim

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672141 by Shadowfixer1
It's more about color than detail. More colors and smoother gradations between tones and colors.
4 years 3 months ago #672183 by Farestad

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672208 by garyrhook

Farestad wrote: Check this out  www.diyphotography.net/8-bit-vs-16-bit-color-depth-use-matters/

That's about editing, not printing.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672209 by garyrhook

Tim Wiener wrote: I just picked up this printed and while getting ready to print a shot as I normally do in Lightroom, I noticed on the right it now says "16 bit output", I can't remember if that was there before.  Honestly I can't recall.

Um, where? I just checked the print module (Lightroom Classic in Adobe Photoshop CC, up to date) and there's nothing about 16 bit output that I see. And the print module doesn't change based on printer; it's pretty generic and relies upon the driver.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673162 by Tim Wiener
Just noticed my grammar a bit off in my original post, however it looks like you all got the gist.  This is what I'm talking about, lower right side in Lightroom under print module:

OK, my computer won't upload my screen shot.  I'm running short on time, however I can assure you if you look in the lower right of the 'print' module in LR, you'll see the box with "16 bit output".  When I get back, I'll try to upload that screen shot.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673164 by Tim Wiener
Here you go:

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 3 months ago #673440 by Ian Stone
increase in pixel density which will give deeper colors, darker darks, and brighter whites.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673453 by garyrhook
No, your question was perfectly clear. It was only a matter of specifics. And a screen shot was exactly what was needed.

That option is specific to your printer, not LR. I don't have it for my Epson 3880, nor have I ever seen it. So you'll want to read up for your printer to find out the value of that option.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024