Time to Talk About It...

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #135745 by MLKstudios
I say both:

panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/view/10645

What do YOU think? And please feel free to include your OWN opinions on post-modernism.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #135799 by MLKstudios
C'mon guys. Is chas the only one who can think past what lens they want to buy, or how to rate a photo?

I know your brains are connected, or you couldn't log on. Speak! Your words and ideas matter.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #135862 by KCook
They are speaking in some new tongue. I don't even know what an "Instagram" is. But I do expect photography to survive.

well, you did ask for it . . . :S

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #135868 by MLKstudios
Instagram lets you upload phone pics, quickly with an added effect. It took off like a rocket.

Some examples:

instagr.am/p/KyyMH/ instagr.am/p/MFCPr/ (a grad of mine posted of her kids)

instagrid.me/johnpaulcaponigro/ (John Paul Caponigro's work)

I too think there are new photogs that do great work. And others who can't speak well with a camera yet.

No opinion on post-modernism?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #135880 by ADMerrick
I think there are merits to apps like instagram. I am someone who believes in "documenting" the little things. However, I don't feel they are great art. I most likely would never have them hanging on my wall. In an album? Maybe. There is still the element of good composition, if nothing else, that makes up good photography.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #135882 by MLKstudios
Do you think in our modern world, where everyone has a camera (or phone cam) and the results can be posted so quickly make for more interesting photos, or does it have a detrimental affect on the art of photography?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #135891 by ADMerrick
I do find them interesting but only so far as peering into someone's daily life. I don't see them as art so much. Does that mean that there CAN'T be artistic photos taken through these mediums? Certainly not. Isn't that the whole premise about photography: It isn't the camera it's the photographer that makes the art?

12 years 8 months ago #135893 by KCook

MLKstudios wrote: Do you think in our modern world, where everyone has a camera (or phone cam) and the results can be posted so quickly make for more interesting photos, or does it have a detrimental affect on the art of photography?

My guess would be the opposite. Wide spread photo sharing will open up access for those who might have a "knack" for photography, but would not otherwise have given it much thought. So the stream of new photographers, with some real potential, will grow.

Glass half empty, likely there will also be growth in the belief that photography is only about technology and gadgets. But I expect those folks would never have contributed to serious photography in any event. Just means more gear is sold, and gear prices stay stable.

What was the question?

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #135894 by Shadowfixer1

MLKstudios wrote: Do you think in our modern world, where everyone has a camera (or phone cam) and the results can be posted so quickly make for more interesting photos, or does it have a detrimental affect on the art of photography?

I see it as just creating more snapshots. Lots of folks call a lot of things art that I wouldn't give you a dime for. The images of William Eggleston come to mind. I also don't get the whole Jackson Pollock thing. I see images in photo magazines and in art exhibits that I am told are great and the photographer is great and all I see is a snapshot that anybody could have done. A lot of the art world has an attitude of, if you don't get it, you are just not smart enough to appreciate it. I've deleted crap that was better than some stuff I'm told is great work. The snapshot I posted in the black and white forum titled "Catching Some Z'sss" is an example. You let some big name photographer put it in a gallery and everyone would drool over it. If it's from me, ehh, another snapshot. So back on point, I guess I'm saying all these new cameras are just creating more images. Nothing more or nothing less.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #135901 by MLKstudios
Good point, Shadow. Isn't the common view of us in the "art world" a bunch of snobs?

It's very different in Europe. Art is everywhere all the time and artists are praised. You see actors doing plays in the squares, with old and modern art work all around you. It doesn't have that "snob" label like it does here.

This is the most important "sculpture" of modern art, currently on display in San Francisco. Called Fountain by Marcel Duchamp:

yfrog.com/z/hwh3retj

Out of context, it would appear almost obscene. The story goes, Duchamp felt the "fountains" of America were its urinals, that allowed us to build high rise architecture (NYC was booming then). In Europe people met at the fountain in the middle of town. It was the center of social life. In American skyscrapers we sometimes only meet one another when visiting one of these.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, like all dada art, but also serious. R. Mutt was the porcelain company that made it. Its importance is in what we now call "found art". Art without the artist's hand. All new art includes a bit of found work and an homage to any of Duchamp's pieces will easily get you recognized.

Are we nuts?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #135904 by JAGriff

I, personally do not own a camera phone and if I did, I wouldn't be using it for the art of photography.
However, I do feel that it can be a useful tool to capture a spontaneous moment [think of how many photos were shot via camera phone on 9/11]

Unless you are one to carry your gear with you at all times, you might miss a photo op when it's least suspected. I also feel that it has affected the "art of photography" but not detrimentally.

There still exists a common misconception amongst traditional photographers [who for most of their experience have worked with film], that digital photography is not as relevant in the world of
photography but, it has had a detrimental affect on photography in that there are so few people who still shoot with film [unless you're Pro].

I also feel that, in this modern age of photography, some snap shots can give a photographer new ideas on creativity.
Those are just my thoughts.

A photo is more than just a picture. It is a moment captured in time.

www.wix.com/jagriff/jeffreyagriffinphotography

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #135907 by MLKstudios

ADMerrick wrote: I do find them interesting but only so far as peering into someone's daily life. I don't see them as art so much. Does that mean that there CAN'T be artistic photos taken through these mediums? Certainly not. Isn't that the whole premise about photography: It isn't the camera it's the photographer that makes the art?

Yes, the camera is but a tool. A medium to an artist. It needs guidance to have any value.

Dewitt Jones, who shot for National Geographic, is also using the iPhone camera. He uses a lot of post in his recent work:

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=17601248...36.1801978453&type=1

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=17584607...36.1801978453&type=1

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #135910 by MLKstudios

KCook wrote: My guess would be the opposite. Wide spread photo sharing will open up access for those who might have a "knack" for photography, but would not otherwise have given it much thought. So the stream of new photographers, with some real potential, will grow.

What was the question?

Your answer was fine, KC. With the international connections we now have with the internet, the camera has replaced language. We communicate in instant images. All cultures can relate to pictures.

Note how many jumped into the flower thread, from all parts of the world. A pretty flower is universal. No one sees one and goes, "ick!" We share this as human beings.

What did you think of Saul Leiter's work? Is it just snapshots, or something more?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #135912 by Shadowfixer1
If I can recreate a painting or any art work in 10 minutes myself. I don't consider it as art, no matter who tells me it's great. I've been astonished at some juried shows when the so called "expert" picked the winners. It's almost like the most simplistic and child like creations were swooned over when beautiful pieces with great detail weren't even considered. The last one I was involved in, the overall winner was a pencil and chalk drawing, including erasures on a piece of hardboard. The drew the outline of a dress on a stand. I cold have done it in five minutes. The jurist lavished long praises on it. If that is art, then my neighbor's six year old is a friggin' genius. I've had gallery curators smirk at some of my work that people were having framed at their gallery, when they had a series of pictures of a nude guy in different poses, from standing on his head on a stump to other such things, but it was art I guess. Take a picture of some dude with his junk hanging in the breeze while he stands on his head on a stump and you are an "artist". I don't get it.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #135916 by MLKstudios
Ah-haa. Are those "experts" really qualified to judge art? What training do you think they had?

My guess is they were pretentious snobs, as you saw them.

That's one of the reasons I'm pressing this here. Modern art has made a lot of bad art that un-educated critics find interesting (for whatever reason, like maybe a friend made it). Good artwork is part of the train that Duchamp started even before 1917.

I feel your pain when I meet those people too. They probably donated lots of $$$ to some museum or gallery, and got themselves "qualified" as judges.

Don't judge the rest of the art world on them. Our world is full of pretenders. I'm sure your POV was much more valid than theirs.

And I've seen plenty of work by you I would consider to be art worthy. It has lots of your personality in it.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024