HDR----- I think I may have one that finally works.......

12 years 7 months ago #140495 by chasrich
First attempt? A+ if that's the case. My HDR folder is still empty so I appreciate the leap you've made. I give you high marks on getting there. :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #140536 by photobod
brave brave lady for setting yourself up for intense critique, if this is your first attempt at proper HDR then I applaud you for the effort, it isnt perfect as has been pointed out but hey at least you are in there and learning.
My pennies worth of critique is the sky and as you admit you knew it wasnt right, for one the clouds need to look as though they go behind the wheel and not as in this case around it, but I am sure your next attempt will be far better.
I hate to agree that Scotty's method is right :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: joke Scotty I love you really.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #140647 by DonD2

John37 wrote: I can appreciate what everyone else is saying. But from a pure "I finally did an HDR shot that looks HDR", it looks cool. The elements of the photo that were pointed out in need of editing will come in time. I think for what you were trying to do (from my understanding of what you were trying to accomplish anyways) you nailed it.
Nice job!

Thanks for the encouraging word John. I really appreciate it! :cheers:
12 years 7 months ago #140649 by DonD2

chasrich wrote: First attempt? A+ if that's the case. My HDR folder is still empty so I appreciate the leap you've made. I give you high marks on getting there. :judge:

Thanks Charles, that means a lot. :cheers:

As far as a 1st attempt, no, but it is close, 4th or 5th I think. But the 1st one that came out looking like an HDR..... :rofl: Thanks again!
12 years 7 months ago #140654 by DonD2

photobod wrote: brave brave lady for setting yourself up for intense critique, if this is your first attempt at proper HDR then I applaud you for the effort, it isnt perfect as has been pointed out but hey at least you are in there and learning.
My pennies worth of critique is the sky and as you admit you knew it wasnt right, for one the clouds need to look as though they go behind the wheel and not as in this case around it, but I am sure your next attempt will be far better.
I hate to agree that Scotty's method is right :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: joke Scotty I love you really.

Brave, brave LADY? WTH man. I didn't realize that I had had GRS (Gender Re-assignment Surgery), Dude, I must have been had one heck of a "Mickey", I don't even remember the hang-over...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh and I just did a check and ALL of the right parts are still in ALL of the right places......LOL..... bummer, I was really lookin' forward to having some fun with myself........ :banana: :banana: :rofl: :rofl:

Any how, thanks for the rest of the critique........ hahaha! But I will be :watching: you from here on out..... :beerbang:
12 years 7 months ago #140655 by Towcestermark
I love HDR shots, and although I think that Scotty had the right idea, I'm not sure if it would work with your shot. The whole image is excellent apart from the halo around the trees and the windmill. This is a pretty impossible shot to get (as a HDR production) in a wind, in fact it's pretty didficult to get unless there's not a even a sense of a breeze.

HDR with sky (clouds) always produces 'halo' in post prod because they move. Even when there's no breeze on the ground, you can bet there's breeze up there in the clouds.

The image is a tiny bit over exposed too, which could have been got round by not using the last image in the braket (depending on how many shots you used).

It's a shame about the sky, because the image overall has great composition, and the 'still' stuff is a great HDR

12 years 7 months ago #140656 by Towcestermark
I've just realised that this is only a 4th attempt at an HDR picture, I take my last post back, it's bloody brilliant

12 years 7 months ago #140657 by DonD2
Thanks Mark. I appreciate the detailed feedback / critique. It's given me a couple of things to work with and see what happens. Thanks! :cheers:
12 years 7 months ago #140659 by DonD2

Towcestermark wrote: I've just realised that this is only a 4th attempt at an HDR picture, I take my last post back, it's bloody brilliant

I still mean what I said in my previous post..... :rofl: BUT I really thank you for the updated appraisal.
12 years 7 months ago #140675 by icepics
Well Don you did change your photo/avatar, you're a cup of pencils now. LOL I think these threads sometimes go the direction of the old telephone game. I did a double take, thought maybe I'd read it wrong and it was Dori that started this one!

Have to say like someone else mentioned it's the clouds that I liked least about the HDR with this photo, but w/most things you get better at it as you go. It reminds me of a painting, so if that's the look people want w/it then it gets more into a special effect I guess. Not sure why I'm not a fan of it, just doesn't do much for me. I think it would be a good photo w/out it since it's well composed etc.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #140704 by DonD2

icepics wrote: Well Don you did change your photo/avatar, you're a cup of pencils now. LOL I think these threads sometimes go the direction of the old telephone game. I did a double take, thought maybe I'd read it wrong and it was Dori that started this one!

Have to say like someone else mentioned it's the clouds that I liked least about the HDR with this photo, but w/most things you get better at it as you go. It reminds me of a painting, so if that's the look people want w/it then it gets more into a special effect I guess. Not sure why I'm not a fan of it, just doesn't do much for me. I think it would be a good photo w/out it since it's well composed etc.

LOL, I know, I guess all of those "Bright" colors confused ol' David......haha!

Well, I about to post an edited version and let's see what you and the others think about it. Hopefully it addresses that issue. I guess we'll see..... B)
12 years 7 months ago #140710 by DonD2
OK, here is the 1st edit attempt. Let's see what y'all think about it. Right direction, wrong direction, almost, etc. etc. I'll post the Original HDR and the Edited on for easier comparison.

Original HDR

Edit #1

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #140722 by fotozone
I like the edit. I have never tried HDR (Charles is ahead of me he at least has a folder :P ) so I can not offer in helpful input.
12 years 7 months ago #140729 by DonD2

fotozone wrote: I like the edit. I have never tried HDR (Charles is ahead of me he at least has a folder :P ) so I can not offer in helpful input.

:lol: good one Lila.... haha! and thank you for your kind comment :cheers:
12 years 7 months ago #140756 by Stealthy Ninja
The trucks a bit distracting. Next time (and I mean this nicely) try and get different angles and see which one is the best. :) There's a lot of distracting stuff in this particular shot.

Keep it up dude.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024