Creating depth?

12 years 1 month ago #209182 by Erica
Where most photos of long hallways and high cathedral towers create a sense of depth when photographed right, I was wondering if the same could be accomplished with something much smaller. I tried it with some marbles ( you know the things we used to play with before playstation and x-box).
I hope I succeeded, please feel free to comment and any advice and criticism will be appreciated.:rolleyes

Erica Eaton

"Do what you love..., and love what you do"

Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #209189 by Darrell
I would say you succeeded.... :judge: :judge: :judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #209212 by Dori
Very well done, good use of negative space and DOF! :judge: :judge: :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 1 month ago #209223 by John Landolfi
Well done:thumbsup: Would be more effective if you placed the lead marble on the right so it could be in focus as well.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #209234 by Arkangel7x3
Good attempt I would say to use a higher aperture tho so you can have my focused DOF the normal school taught photography says anything below 5.6 apt is for up close depth of field 5.6 to 8 is about medium and anything over 8 is high depth of field. You have it at the right height and angel just need to try to get the focus tighter.

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 1 month ago #209240 by orion
Honestly I found the photo confusing....to me nothing appears in focus, Im not sure where I am supposed to focus on, i feel there is too much space between the top of the last marble and the top of the photo, and I would have concentrated on one side or the other. Sorry just my opinion.

12 years 1 month ago #209245 by boriqua latina
Photo is way out of focus, my eyes are leading me to nowhere just blank space... Being eye level with the subject is a solution reducing all the extra space of the white space above...marbles are uncoordinated...

12 years 1 month ago #209246 by Rob pix4u2
Focus appears soft throughout the pic. pleasant softness though

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 1 month ago #209257 by John Landolfi
Did you use autofocus for this shot? With no contrast areas or edges, it wouldn't work too well. I'd try manual focus, and get the two leading marbles at the same distance, to create a concsistent receding
softness effect.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #209305 by Erica
Wow thank you all,
Yes I used Auto Focus, I do have difficulty getting my photos to be tack sharp in the areas of focus, and more so when I use manual focus. Any tips on how to improve it will help a great deal.

I left alot of space between the last marble and the top of the photo to create a sence of scale and distance.At that moment I felt like it emphasised the small size of the marbles. Is there a better way to achieve this?

I did think that my focus should have been more forward and onto the closest marble so thank you for confirming that for me. :cheer: :cheer:

Erica Eaton

"Do what you love..., and love what you do"

12 years 1 month ago #209516 by Stealthy Ninja
I agree that the focus shouldn't be where it was, but it's not soft though out the picture. There IS an in-focus area there.
12 years 1 month ago #209560 by Indy 001

orion wrote: Honestly I found the photo confusing....to me nothing appears in focus, Im not sure where I am supposed to focus on, i feel there is too much space between the top of the last marble and the top of the photo, and I would have concentrated on one side or the other. Sorry just my opinion.

:agree: I understand the concept, but the photo looks completely blurry, I don't really see a focus point.

12 years 1 month ago #209576 by Arkangel7x3

Erica wrote: Wow thank you all,
Yes I used Auto Focus, I do have difficulty getting my photos to be tack sharp in the areas of focus, and more so when I use manual focus. Any tips on how to improve it will help a great deal.

I left alot of space between the last marble and the top of the photo to create a sense of scale and distance.At that moment I felt like it emphasized the small size of the marbles. Is there a better way to achieve this?

I did think that my focus should have been more forward and onto the closest marble so thank you for confirming that for me. :cheer: :cheer:

99% of the time its that your using a stock lens like around the 50mm range and you need something that can do more of a Macro shot otherwise neither auto or manual will focus on that point. An this looks like an tempt for a Macro shot with the wrong equipment

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 1 month ago #210302 by baycolor
I think another cool option would be to leave all the marbles where they are and in that empty center place one in the middle... Not in the front of the shot or the back but in the middle front to back with the closest marbles and furthest out of focus.

Add some light from the side or the back to throw some shadows, might be cool too... I may try it...

You planted a great seed there, Keep playing with it

12 years 1 month ago #210303 by John Landolfi

Arkangel7x3 wrote:

Erica wrote: Wow thank you all,

I left alot of space between the last marble and the top of the photo to create a sense of scale and distance.At that moment I felt like it emphasized the small size of the marbles. Is there a better way to achieve this?

99% of the time its that your using a stock lens like around the 50mm range and you need something that can do more of a Macro shot otherwise neither auto or manual will focus on that point. An this looks like an tempt for a Macro shot with the wrong equipment

The information you are giving is a bit confusing. This shot can be taken with any lens, "stock" or not (whatever that means). The issue are focus and depth of field, which can be addressed with any DSLR lens. Point of focus and aperture, I believe.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024