General Critique of photos

10 years 2 months ago #350581 by Wyrick Photography
#3 and #5 are by favorites 

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #354937 by JeremyS
I've added some new photos from a vacation to Jamaica. Hopefully you all can help me out some more as well!

Tried work with, and without off-camera flash to see the difference they can make. 

All critique is appreciated. Thanks!

10 years 2 months ago #354951 by KCook
Of your vacation set I like the first one best (sky from inside ruin).  But the flash is too strong, "flattening" the picture too much.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 2 months ago #354993 by JeremyS
I agree, I like that photo the most as well, but the flash is too strong, i need to familiarize myself a bit better with the usage of the flash to compensate and address that issue. 

Thanks!

10 years 2 months ago #355227 by garyrhook
I don't think the flash is too strong, based on the B&W version, unless you changed your settings. It looks like it's been over-processed to my eye.  You'll find that using your flash compensation to tone down the amount can get you where you need to be, although it may take several shots to find the right balance.

That's why I prefer to get a decent exposure in camera and use PP to tweak it out. But that's just me.

The biggest problem here is the time of day. The light in many of them is just rather harsh, unfortunately.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #355307 by JeremyS

garyrhook wrote: I don't think the flash is too strong, based on the B&W version, unless you changed your settings. It looks like it's been over-processed to my eye.  You'll find that using your flash compensation to tone down the amount can get you where you need to be, although it may take several shots to find the right balance.

That's why I prefer to get a decent exposure in camera and use PP to tweak it out. But that's just me.

The biggest problem here is the time of day. The light in many of them is just rather harsh, unfortunately.

Agreed with the time of day, it was shot around 1-2pm with a lot of light. The B&W version was shot a day earlier and without flash, and then the coloured version was shot later on w/ flash. The coloured shot itself, was barely touched editing wise. the Blues were enhanced slightly, and the image was cropped a bit from where the flash fell off (I need to get familiar with it once again). But that is about it.

All in all, i agree with what you said and its great criticism for later on in my future shots ^^ 

The forums are always a great place to get real, legitimate criticism. Thanks Garyrhook. 

10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #355407 by KCook
Of course tourists don't always get a choice in when they have access to a scene.  When the lighting is harsh, exposure becomes more tricky.  Linkys -

www.photographytipscorner.com/3-tips-for...pictures-in-the-sun/

neilvn.com/tangents/photographing-in-har...h-and-without-flash/

theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_on...ot-fear-the-sun.html

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #355443 by boriqua latina
With regards to critique on photos. The comments given by the people who have commented here are their opinons. You said “Being an untrained, uneducated photographer, I rather enjoy learning what I can do better!”, someone has said that "doing everything mindlessly the way classes/books/other people tell you to is just stupid and defies creativity, I disagree. I am a former teacher of photographic studies at a college in New York. We, the teachers, guide you in a way of teaching you the basics of photographing various different subjects, it is then up to you to put your mind into the creativity side to put across what you can achieve from what you have learned. You will learn a lot of useful information from others, here and in magazines, on photography courses, and by joining your local photography club. You will never stop learning how to photograph subjects, there are ways that work and ways in which you will find better to do. Research and information is always important, which then you can use what you have learned and go out and do it yourself.
Practice, practice and keep practicing is the best way to learn what you have learned from others, books and courses.

10 years 2 months ago #355819 by JeremyS

boriqua latina wrote: With regards to critique on photos. The comments given by the people who have commented here are their opinons. You said “Being an untrained, uneducated photographer, I rather enjoy learning what I can do better!”, someone has said that "doing everything mindlessly the way classes/books/other people tell you to is just stupid and defies creativity, I disagree. I am a former teacher of photographic studies at a college in New York. We, the teachers, guide you in a way of teaching you the basics of photographing various different subjects, it is then up to you to put your mind into the creativity side to put across what you can achieve from what you have learned. You will learn a lot of useful information from others, here and in magazines, on photography courses, and by joining your local photography club. You will never stop learning how to photograph subjects, there are ways that work and ways in which you will find better to do. Research and information is always important, which then you can use what you have learned and go out and do it yourself.
Practice, practice and keep practicing is the best way to learn what you have learned from others, books and courses.

I agree practice is the best way to develop your skills. And photography is a perfect example of it. Learning from the best also helps to develop proper habits to exhibit good technique. 

10 years 2 months ago #358453 by JeremyS
I added a new photo, it was my first "studio" type of photo, I have no real firm idea of how to do it properly, or how to improve, what do you all suggest for lighting styles or use of reflectors etc. Tips and criticism does NOT need to be regarding the photo itself, but rather just tips you've picked up over time spent in the studio.

img\def

Thanks once again everybody, your helping to make my photography more successful and I feel like this forum and your help are greatly improving my photos. :)

10 years 2 months ago #358473 by KCook
A "natural light" studio will use a sunny window plus reflectors.

When it comes to still life this size, any lights can be used (and have been!).  You could try household desk lamps, HomeDepot worklights, cheap "studio" CFLs, video LED lights, quartz Redhead lights, cheap stage lights, speedlights, even studio strobes.  Lately I've been playing with video LEDs.  But studio strobes are tops.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 1 month ago #365595 by Silverbells
Couldn't agree more, there is always heaps to shoot where ever you are once you "get your eye in" you will realise this. With delight.
G.

10 years 1 month ago #367337 by Nathaniel Witmer
the 7th and 8th photos need improvements.

10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #373193 by JeremyS
img\def

img\def

This was my second attempt at the Wheel, I tried to pull in some of the things you all suggested, Its a bit dark but it may give a better view of the mood and overall texture of the exposure. What does everything think about the new photo? 

Personally I found the focusing better done, and I made sure not to cut off the wheel at all. 

As always, I am very grateful for all the help everyone has given me into improving my photography and my shots. 

10 years 1 week ago #373802 by Amelia Wilson
I like it. Nicely done. I hope I could be as skilled as you are one day.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024