What do you think, lavender and a wasp/bee

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #684495 by suzievt
Lavender and a bee. 
I need to improve on the sharpness I think. 
What do you think?
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 1200D
Lens: 70-300mm
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Fri, 8 May 2020 17:11pm
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 1200D
Lens: 70-300mm
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Fri, 8 May 2020 17:08pm

Attachments:
3 years 11 months ago #684511 by garyrhook
That's a bee.

Unfortunately, the focus is off on both of them. On the first, the leaves on the left are sharp; the flower and bee are not.

On the second, great composition, but the trick is (IMHO) getting the bee in focus. And it's hard; I've yet to accomplish that.

Check your lens for focus accuracy. It may need adjusting (if that's possible on your camera body).

PP wise, color is good, but could be brighter, and the shadows opened up.

I'll bet you had fun capturing these.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684515 by suzievt
Thanks! Im really struggling with the focus..
Im going to ask some help to see if my camera needs adjusting.

3 years 11 months ago #684516 by suzievt
Is the focus on the second photo on the lavender flower? Because I can't get it sharper then that I think..

3 years 11 months ago #684529 by garyrhook

suzievt wrote: Is the focus on the second photo on the lavender flower? Because I can't get it sharper then that I think..

Not visible anywhere, as far as I can tell. So I think the plane of focus is farther away than the camera thinks it is.

Your first step is to figure out whether your camera body provides for focus adjustments (micro-adjustment, micro-focus adjustment, something like that). If not, the lens may have to be tuned to the body. Or you have a bad copy of the lens. So, a few things to look into.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #684593 by Shadowfixer1
First question. Did the camera actually give you focus confirmation before you pressed the shutter? Second question. Do you have the camera set to focus priority release? Third question. What focal length was used? The shutter speed may need to be faster if you were at 300mm. When I get out of focus images like this, it's not the camera that needs adjusting, it's me and my settings/technique that need adjusting. 
3 years 11 months ago #684596 by Steve Rodriguez
They said it all. Keep trying. 

3 years 11 months ago #684604 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: First question. Did the camera actually give you focus confirmation before you pressed the shutter? Second question. Do you have the camera set to focus priority release? Third question. What focal length was used? The shutter speed may need to be faster if you were at 300mm. When I get out of focus images like this, it's not the camera that needs adjusting, it's me and my settings/technique that need adjusting. 

Right. The EXIF says a 70-300 at 1/250s. And these were likely shot at the minimum focus distance, guessing 5 feet-ish. So the DoF would be less than one inch, but that would encompass a significant portion of that bud. While one might guess camera movement, the first photo shows the stem almost in focus, and the nearby leaves in reasonable focus. There's no indication of movement in either image, so I ruled out motion.

She keeps going back to technique, which is a good thing. But we also want to rule out / address equipment problems.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #684620 by Screamin Scott
If the intent was to shoot macro, then she should be focusing manually anyway as the camera's AF doesn't know where to put the focus as you get closer in. The shot with the bee flying in would be pretty much impossible to get both the bee and the flower in focus due to the narrow DOF in the scene...Oh, and it's a bee, not a wasp...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684624 by Shadowfixer1
Scott, I agree with you and Gary, I was trying to get some information so we would know where to begin with providing answers. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024