The calm before the storm

12 years 7 months ago #149762 by M.A. Russell Images
Thought I would share a photo I took recently in Northern Arizona just outside of Wupatki National Monument....Hope you all like it ! I am vey green and a novice but I do love B & W photography...Thank you for looking and commetning...Good or bad is appreciated so I can learn and get half as good as you guys and gals......Mikey

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #149781 by rob vorderman
Mikey I love it. I'm a great B&W fan myself.

Rob.

12 years 7 months ago #149786 by M.A. Russell Images

rob vorderman wrote: Mikey I love it. I'm a great B&W fan myself.

Rob.

Thank you kindly Rob :)

12 years 7 months ago #149957 by KCook
Contrast is high enough that it's starting to look like IR. I would be tempted to lift the dark areas a bit. Of course there are a number of ways to do this with an editor.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #149967 by M.A. Russell Images

KCook wrote: Contrast is high enough that it's starting to look like IR. I would be tempted to lift the dark areas a bit. Of course there are a number of ways to do this with an editor.

Kelly

I don't want to sound stupid but how do I do that ? I do not have photoshop or any computer programs. Well except for the disk that came with my camera but I wouldn't begin to know how to use the darn thing. This is all very complicated for me I apologize. I am new to photography and even newer to the world of computers if you can believe that lol...What do you mean by contrast and what does that do to the photo ? I mostly use the dummy settings on the camera....because I don't know any other way....I used the P setting and to take the B & W I set the camera to take photos in B & W there I figured that out by playing with it a bit.

I have a Canon Rebel EOS XS and I know it's a entry level camera...I really wish to learn but I am not a person that learns by reading only. I have to actually do it a few times. Damn I feel so inadequate....I have been looking for someone to help teach me but I live in the dang boonies and thus far haven't found anyone near me willing to go out so I can learn....Thank you very much for your input....Apparently I need all the help I can get lol

12 years 7 months ago #150014 by KCook
That disk that came with your camera should include an editing program. Here is a link to Canon's online tutorial for how to use their editor -

www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galler.../dpp_tutorials.shtml

I've found the Canon editor to be useful. I have that plus several free editors. But my main editor is Adobe's Elements. If you want to consider the different editors, try this thread -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/editing-an...programs-do-you-use-

Web sites for editing are not as common as for camera technique. But they can be useful. Most insist on talking about Photoshop. But those same principles apply to all editors.

www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digi...editing-workflow.htm

www.elementsvillage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?&f=7

www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/

Photo editing can be a big hill to climb. I've been at this for over 5 years, still spend more time slaving over editors than going click with my camera. But the results can make a big difference. The following links contain examples -

kellycook.zenfolio.com/p167916449

www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1004890

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #150022 by chasrich
I like it. I'm not a big fan of B/W but that might be because I'm not as good at it as you. :judge: :thumbsup: WTG Mickey.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #150024 by M.A. Russell Images

KCook wrote: That disk that came with your camera should include an editing program. Here is a link to Canon's online tutorial for how to use their editor -

www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galler.../dpp_tutorials.shtml

I've found the Canon editor to be useful. I have that plus several free editors. But my main editor is Adobe's Elements. If you want to consider the different editors, try this thread -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/editing-an...programs-do-you-use-

Web sites for editing are not as common as for camera technique. But they can be useful. Most insist on talking about Photoshop. But those same principles apply to all editors.

www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digi...editing-workflow.htm

www.elementsvillage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?&f=7

www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/

Photo editing can be a big hill to climb. I've been at this for over 5 years, still spend more time slaving over editors than going click with my camera. But the results can make a big difference. The following links contain examples -

kellycook.zenfolio.com/p167916449

www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1004890

Kelly

WoW thank you that took some time to compile lol...I will read and hopefully understand what they're talking about

12 years 7 months ago #150028 by M.A. Russell Images

chasrich wrote: I like it. I'm not a big fan of B/W but that might be because I'm not as good at it as you. :judge: :thumbsup: WTG Mickey.

Not so sure I deserve that kind of praise but thank you very much....after seeing your work I consider that a huge compliment :banana:

12 years 7 months ago #150033 by Shanna-Marie
Excellent shot Mikey, I like this alot! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 7 months ago #150063 by M.A. Russell Images

Shanna-Marie wrote: Excellent shot Mikey, I like this alot! :)

Thank you....You have a beautiful name btw :)

12 years 7 months ago #150215 by Shanna-Marie
Awww....thank you, that's sweet. :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 7 months ago #150227 by Shadowfixer1
Horizon in the center of the frame is usually frowned upon. There is not interest in the foreground so you could crop it out and move the horizon down ti the lower third of the image. The horizon line is tilted, but it may be that way in real life but it still looks odd. Since there is nothing to show us whether its tilted or not, I would straighten the horizon. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more.
12 years 7 months ago #150275 by M.A. Russell Images

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Horizon in the center of the frame is usually frowned upon. There is not interest in the foreground so you could crop it out and move the horizon down ti the lower third of the image. The horizon line is tilted, but it may be that way in real life but it still looks odd. Since there is nothing to show us whether its tilted or not, I would straighten the horizon. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more.

What I was trying to do is show the striking difference between the color of the sky and the grassland...Yes the groung itself is angled that way and only get worse lol thank you for viewing.:banana:

12 years 7 months ago #150283 by icepics
I've done B&W film and darkroom work and I'm newer at digital too. It does look almost infrared but others can help you w/camera settings. You have some potential w/this, but as someone else said, that much foreground doesn't help the image much; less of the grass might be better. Just cropping it some could help and adjusting the light and dark to get a more realistic balance - the trees look too solid black I think.

It takes time to learn photography and I think practice helps too to develop your skills. Even though you're in the boonies you might find online options (distance learning) to learn from/take a course.

Sharon
Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024