Sunrise Pano...

12 years 6 months ago #153068 by chasrich
Since I was alternating between 18mm then zooming in to over 200mm I was apparently running the ISO a big hotter than normal. I'll be more careful to use the lower ISO especially when in wide angle modes. Since I jump around with the ISO settings anyway I might have to try some experiments then pixel peep the results. Thanks Mathew.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #153072 by MLKstudios
No prob.

Really, I am trying to help everyone here (whether they want me to, or not). And since you are a student, I will of course dig a little deeper with my CC.

I was disappointed that you went on an "event" but didn't apply week 3 -- turning the event into a journalistic style story. Week 3 was added to the online course as it contains some very important skills. It frees you from shooting what many think is photo worthy, and lets you find the things that PULL your lens to them. Many have gotten their week 3 work published. It's serious work.

Mostly it's about the sideways glance, that makes us more aware of our surroundings. And also makes you act fast with composition and the camera settings. It pushes hard.

Many have done it over a few times as they see where they wanted to go but missed the first (or second) time. But once they get what they wanted, it opens a whole new style to their work. Even good fashion work is based on "lifestyle" photography, that is well planned to look unplanned.

Like I always say, photography isn't hard, but that doesn't mean it's all so easy either. Sometimes you have to push yourself past the barriers we ALL have created in our minds.

Stick to the program and get your "chips". Not everything has to be perfect (and shouldn't be) on the first attempt. Art is a process and not a goal. We are always trying to go further.

:)

eta Although this isn't the best editorial work, the author/photographer talks about his thinking during the process of shooting, which makes it a bit more interesting:

www.thephoblographer.com/2011/10/08/shoo...e-documentary-style/

Like most beginners in journalism, he tries to cover all of it. Instead you need to find the personal (a small piece of it) and cover that in more depth. That will communicate the whole story better than bits and pieces scattered everywhere.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #153087 by McBeth Photography
Beautiful shot Charles! :judge:

It is what it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
12 years 6 months ago #153103 by rob vorderman
They are both very good, but if I had to pick a winner it will be #2.
I like the moody look and the sun rays.

Rob.

12 years 6 months ago #153649 by Joiemagic
Chas, in the pano, is that the end of a land mass just to the left of center on the horizon line... just curious... either way... nice job. How many originals used?

Love the Rays on the second shot... Really sharp...

Great Job:judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 6 months ago #153669 by chasrich

Joiemagic wrote: Chas, in the pano, is that the end of a land mass just to the left of center on the horizon line... just curious... either way... nice job. How many originals used?

Love the Rays on the second shot... Really sharp...

Great Job:judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

Thanks Joie... Yes, that land mass is called Johnson Point. Beyond it lies the Dead River and the rest of the lakes in the Lake Harris Chain. I think I had five panels total but 80% of the shot is from three.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #153776 by LauraD
Beautiful ! :) Were these taken in between all those storms passing through over the past several days ? I was tempted to head out to the beach, but the weather kept me indoors all weekend.

:judge:

I am a serious hobbyist and I am constantly trying to challenge myself with new and interesting shots. My photography can also be viewed here:
lauradphotography.zenfolio.com/
laura-daddona.artistwebsites.com/
LauraD.imagekind.com

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024