Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #206108 by Stealthy Ninja
:D You know my answer already. :D

Fantastic job!

I knew I'd get to you. :P
12 years 2 months ago #206110 by Flash Steven
#1 by far. Love the drama in the clouds

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #206133 by McBeth Photography
I gotta go with #1 too John, nicely done! :)

It is what it is.
12 years 2 months ago #206140 by Darrell
Number 1. Adds life. Great job! :judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #206144 by Arkangel7x3
number 1 its just a common rule you always want sky definition in your pics when its their. When I do B&W Film its required to have the skyline show up which is why I try not to shoot on gloomy days other wise I have to expose the negative more on the enlarger and it gets the sky finally but then the rest of the pic is to dark. A Problem DSLR doesn't usually have to deal with

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 2 months ago #206166 by chasrich
Now that is good editing. WTG on number 1... :thumbsup: :agree: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #206256 by rmeyer7
#1 for sure. What a difference a good sky makes.

:judge:

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #206267 by icepics
The reason shots edited like this don't look right to me is that the sky doesn't really match the shadows on the ground. Even though you were shooting fog, enough light was coming thru to make some shadows - you can tell where in the sky the sun was even though it was obscured by the fog.

I'd go with what the conditions were, if it was foggy then you captured the scene as it was, that's what you saw. And looking at it again, you can see the side of the building that's darker where the sun isn't hitting it.

Arkangel are you taking a class on B&W film/darkroom work?

Sharon

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #206288 by John Landolfi

Stealthy Ninja wrote: :D You know my answer already. :D

Fantastic job!

I knew I'd get to you. :P

When you have a point, well, you have a point,,,,

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #206293 by John Landolfi
I always shoot as if I were using film, Sharon, and I generally agree with to your position. That's why the first image was posted as captured, with no cosmetic surgery. Had circumstances allowed , I would have tried to shoot again for a better sky. But for three days, the sky was clear only at night. So, on to Rome. But the comments from Stealthy and others provided the opportunity to do something I don't usually do, and learn some new techniques. So, I gave it a shot. But I can't help but feel there must be something at least inappropriate in putting San Francisco sky over the Baptistry in Florence...:rofl: :rofl: Thanks for commenting!:)

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #206407 by Karl Wertanen
I think it looks good John but I agree with Icepics and your statement that followed her comment. What you did to the sky looks awesome and i totaly understand why you did it but it contradicts the light on the building. I admire the amount of work that must go into that type of editing though. That type of work is way over my head and skill level. :beerbang:
12 years 2 months ago #206446 by Shanna-Marie
Not to sound redundant....but, # 1 for sure! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 2 months ago #206449 by John Landolfi
Thanks all for commenting. The majority seems to favor surgery, so I'll sit on the side with Sharon and Karl, and post no1 in the album. Vox populi...

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #206503 by icepics
John are you quoting Latin at us?? I cheated, I looked it up, although I figured populi had to do with populus or people.

Maybe the reason people think the edit looks better is that the sky and building are basically complementary colors, so the sky sets the building off more. Which can be a good technique in a photo, to look for complementary colors in a scene. But in this case the edited sky makes no sense for this photo, not because you put San Francisco in Florence, but because this sky wouldn't make the shadows that exist.

You did say this picture was just to get a shot of the building while you were there, as from your other photos those are what you were really there to photograph. There are times like travelling when you can't go back and reshoot and you've just gotta do what you can with what you have to work with.

Sharon
Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024