Just moved to Hawaii. Completely new subject matter!

10 years 4 months ago #324033 by Stealthy Ninja
Is it just me or do these look soft?
10 years 4 months ago #324089 by KCook
Humm. Now that you mention it, everything beyond the surf appears slightly soft. As if the DOF does not quite make it to infinity.

blinky

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 4 months ago #324107 by Stealthy Ninja
Nah, I'm talking about the foreground too... look at this:

The barrel etc. looks a bit soft.
10 years 4 months ago #324165 by KCook
Or . . . vee are expecting a lot from an uploaded JPG? If the original looked like that I would just give the ACR clarity slider a nudge. But my experience is that most JPG uploaders are the work of the devil.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 4 months ago #324757 by StephanieW
I didn't know what an ACR clarity slider is so I googled it and it's a Photoshop tool? I'm still really lost with Photoshop and don't know how to use it really. I've tried watching tutorials and I'm still bumbling around.

10 years 4 months ago #324791 by garyrhook

StephanieW wrote: I didn't know what an ACR clarity slider is so I googled it and it's a Photoshop tool? I'm still really lost with Photoshop and don't know how to use it really. I've tried watching tutorials and I'm still bumbling around.

I want to start teaching people how to use LR and/or ACR (same engine). I have a couple of friends I'm going to use as guinea pigs to develop a curriculum.

Unless you're in central Texas, unfortunately I can't help you.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #324795 by KCook

StephanieW wrote: I didn't know what an ACR clarity slider is so I googled it and it's a Photoshop tool? I'm still really lost with Photoshop and don't know how to use it really. I've tried watching tutorials and I'm still bumbling around.

"Bumbling" pretty well describes my life! :silly:

Anyways, if you really want some homework, here ya go -

digital-photography-school.com/lightroom...ider-what-does-it-do

www.ronbigelow.com/articles/localized-co...ized-contrast-4.html

photographylife.com/mastering-lightroom-...nce-landscape-photos

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 4 months ago #325133 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: Or . . . vee are expecting a lot from an uploaded JPG? If the original looked like that I would just give the ACR clarity slider a nudge. But my experience is that most JPG uploaders are the work of the devil.

Kelly

Or... it could be a bit soft.

:kmonst:
10 years 4 months ago #325363 by StephanieW

KCook wrote:

"Bumbling" pretty well describes my life! :silly:

Anyways, if you really want some homework, here ya go -

digital-photography-school.com/lightroom...ider-what-does-it-do

www.ronbigelow.com/articles/localized-co...ized-contrast-4.html

photographylife.com/mastering-lightroom-...nce-landscape-photos

Kelly

Thanks so much for the link!

10 years 4 months ago #325861 by julieg2323
You are one lucky girl! Hawaii is on my bucket list.

I like the contrast of the rusty barrel amongst such beauty. I too like old, dilapidated stuff and shoot as much as possible.

If you have the $$, invest in a good polarizer. It will make your clouds more defined and will make all the other colors pop. I use a B+W polarizer and love it. In a pinch you can use it kinda like a Neutral Density filter (ND). You won't be able to use it for rainbows tho..

O, and as far as Photoshop...try Lightroom. I hear it's easier and geared for photographers. I will be trying it soon.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024