What do you look for when buying a used lens?

12 years 5 months ago #177208 by Archie
I've been shopping around for some used lenses on Craigslist and meeting a guy this weekend to look at a few lenses that he is selling. What are some things you are looking at when looking at used lenses that won't have any warranty?

12 years 5 months ago #177229 by Stealthy Ninja
Clean on the inside. No loose parts on the inside. All the switches work. IS/VR works (take some test shots to check this out).

Images are sharp.

No fungus or mould or whatever inside then lens.

Contacts are clean etc.

They have the original receipt, box, warranty card (helps determine it's not stolen)

If it seems OK in all these areas and the price isn't so crazy cheap that it could be hot. Then it should be OK to buy.
12 years 4 months ago #179447 by bhowdy

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Clean on the inside. No loose parts on the inside. All the switches work. IS/VR works (take some test shots to check this out).

Images are sharp.

No fungus or mold or whatever inside then lens.

Contacts are clean etc.

They have the original receipt, box, warranty card (helps determine it's not stolen)

If it seems OK in all these areas and the price isn't so crazy cheap that it could be hot. Then it should be OK to buy.

Ninja hit the nail on the head with his response .... Good luck on your purchase

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 4 months ago #179456 by Stealthy Ninja
Forgot to mention, you should check the serial on the warranty card matches the one on the lens. :)
12 years 4 months ago #179457 by Screamin Scott

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Forgot to mention, you should check the serial on the warranty card matches the one on the lens. :)

If it's still within the warranty time frame of course...

Also check to make sure the focus &/or zoom rings don't bind or hang up. Look also for signs of being dropped (bent or cracked filter threads). Look for fingerprints on the glass as well (hard to remove even though you would be hard pressed to see an effect from them on a shot)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #179584 by Stealthy Ninja

Screamin Scott wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Forgot to mention, you should check the serial on the warranty card matches the one on the lens. :)

If it's still within the warranty time frame of course...

Also check to make sure the focus &/or zoom rings don't bind or hang up. Look also for signs of being dropped (bent or cracked filter threads). Look for fingerprints on the glass as well (hard to remove even though you would be hard pressed to see an effect from them on a shot)

Irrelevant if it's within the time frame of the warranty or not. Having a warranty card that doesn't match the lens is a sign it could well be stolen.

Fingerprints are easy to remove. Lens pen'll fix that right up.
12 years 4 months ago #179594 by john_m
Make sure pice is in line also. I use KEH to get an idea of where the pride should be at.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #179608 by Screamin Scott
If the fingerprints have been on the lens for any period of time, the acid in the oils from your body will etch the lens coatings of certain lenses. If they are promptly removed when they happen, then yes, they are easy to remove.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #180646 by Meskill
A warranty :whistle:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200569 by Patty Ganahl
I have some budget cuts this year and won't be able to buy the new gear that I want, so resorting to buying used. Would you mind sharing with me, what you personally look for when buying used lenses?

Thank you in advance!

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200588 by Logic 7
Make sure that there are no scratchs or internal dust that shows on a picture. Make sure there is no fungus in side. If it has a f stop ring make sure that there isnt oil on the bladesand that it opens and closes properly.Take some shots with it if possible.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200590 by john_m

Logic 7 wrote: Make sure that there are no scratchs or internal dust that shows on a picture. Make sure there is no fungus in side. If it has a f stop ring make sure that there isnt oil on the bladesand that it opens and closes properly.Take some shots with it if possible.

:agree:

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 2 months ago #200595 by Darrell
:agree:

Yes big thing is try it on your camera and make sure everything works......

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #200617 by icepics
If I buy online I buy from a reputable dealer that gives reliable condition ratings, like KEH. There are a few dealers who list on their eBay store, otherwise I find on eBay that often either the seller knows nothing about the item, posts pictures that may not be of the actual item or are not good enough to see the condition, etc. It helps to research it before buying I think.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200695 by Kitzmiller
Can you get warranties on used gear you buy from private parties?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024