Sigma 150-500 or Tamron 200-500mm for Nikon D80?

13 years 2 months ago #25870 by RajShaktiKaur
Oh Crystal, Absolutely!!! I thought it WAS me. I tried everything I could think of to get those photos to be sharp like my 70-300's... I had great doubt about my abilities at that point, and it really caused me some undue depression and stress, as I was working on a museum showing and NEEDED those photos to be not just good but GREAT!!!... Until I let my friend who has been a pro photographer for over 20 years, and is also a teacher, use two of them... and he had the very same result on my Canon 7d... AND on his canon 5d Mark III....I called Canon, thinking there must be SOMETHING I was doing wrong, even sent the CAMERA(brand new) back to be "recalibrated"... but when it came back? Still same issue... :shrug: And also, as I said, I was shooting the eagle photos I posted, on a tripod (because it is just too heavy for me) with the sigma and they came out totally soft at 100% magnification, which I cannot afford... However, my aquaintence, who was shooting with the same lens but if I remember correctly, she had a nikon - we used all the same settings, I remember specifically asking her if I could mimick everything she did... and hers came out great - mine? not so, as you can see in my portfolio... :shrug: However the ones I shot with the canon 70-300mm came out just fine... and they were handheld... (They made the grade and made the show, thank GOD!!!!) I'm not putting the lens nor sigma down, at all...As I said, Sigma was more than willing to work with me on it and try to calibrate the lens, until they heard it was brand new, and then they told me I needed to return it... which was only fair, they were right... I just think for my camera, it does not work... and I can't afford that. I've heard from a few 7D owners that that particular lens does NOT work well with the camera at the higher magnifications... and believe me, I wish it did,. as I had to spend an additional $500.00 to get the 400mm... (Wish I could've afforded even longer, but its not in the cards at the moment!) From what I've heard, I think it works just fine with Nikons cameras, Canon is just flukey...

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #25934 by crystal

Hamtastic wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote: This was shot with my Nikon D80 using the 50-500mm at 500mm hand held.

Nice shoot, what did you have your ISO set at?

Thank you. ISO- 400
13 years 2 months ago #25936 by crystal

dragonflies8888 wrote: Oh Crystal, Absolutely!!! I thought it WAS me. I tried everything I could think of to get those photos to be sharp like my 70-300's... I had great doubt about my abilities at that point, and it really caused me some undue depression and stress, as I was working on a museum showing and NEEDED those photos to be not just good but GREAT!!!... Until I let my friend who has been a pro photographer for over 20 years, and is also a teacher, use two of them... and he had the very same result on my Canon 7d... AND on his canon 5d Mark III....I called Canon, thinking there must be SOMETHING I was doing wrong, even sent the CAMERA(brand new) back to be "recalibrated"... but when it came back? Still same issue... :shrug: And also, as I said, I was shooting the eagle photos I posted, on a tripod (because it is just too heavy for me) with the sigma and they came out totally soft at 100% magnification, which I cannot afford... However, my aquaintence, who was shooting with the same lens but if I remember correctly, she had a nikon - we used all the same settings, I remember specifically asking her if I could mimick everything she did... and hers came out great - mine? not so, as you can see in my portfolio... :shrug: However the ones I shot with the canon 70-300mm came out just fine... and they were handheld... (They made the grade and made the show, thank GOD!!!!) I'm not putting the lens nor sigma down, at all...As I said, Sigma was more than willing to work with me on it and try to calibrate the lens, until they heard it was brand new, and then they told me I needed to return it... which was only fair, they were right... I just think for my camera, it does not work... and I can't afford that. I've heard from a few 7D owners that that particular lens does NOT work well with the camera at the higher magnifications... and believe me, I wish it did,. as I had to spend an additional $500.00 to get the 400mm... (Wish I could've afforded even longer, but its not in the cards at the moment!) From what I've heard, I think it works just fine with Nikons cameras, Canon is just flukey...

Damn, maybe Sigma doesn't like Canon and only like to work with Nikon. God only knows with these companies and photography. lol
13 years 2 months ago #26125 by Stealthy Ninja

cwightmanphotos wrote: Damn, maybe Sigma doesn't like Canon and only like to work with Nikon. God only knows with these companies and photography. lol

It does seem that Sigma works better on Nikon from scattered online opinions.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024