Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art vs Tamron 35mm f/1.8 vc for Nikon D800

5 years 7 months ago #603861 by Toby J
Good morning PT.  I've been a long time fan of this site and finally signed up today.  I recently just upgraded from a Nikon D7100 to a Nikon D800.  Bought used.  With the D800, all my glass needed to be updated.  I like the 35mm focal length.  In terms of these two lenses, would you happen to know in general which is considered to have a better auto focus and sharper lens?   

I'm grateful for the help!

Toby

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603937 by effron
Not from those two, but the Sigma is faster, I'd do that. You should also look at the Nikon 35 f/2....a great lens!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603952 by garyrhook
+1 on the older Nikon 35mm f/2D lens. Inexpensive, character, sharp.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604409 by fmw
+1 here as well.  It is easy to find pristine used lenses on the internet.  The 35 F2D will save you a bunch of money.  A 35 f1.4D will also save you money if you need faster.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604486 by Toby J

garyrhook wrote: +1 on the older Nikon 35mm f/2D lens. Inexpensive, character, sharp.

Isn't that a manual focus lens? 

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604495 by garyrhook

Toby J wrote:

garyrhook wrote: +1 on the older Nikon 35mm f/2D lens. Inexpensive, character, sharp.

Isn't that a manual focus lens? 

Nope, AF. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toby J
5 years 7 months ago #604544 by effron
Yeah, it was an older creeper af (like my 200 f/4D) , but still a fine lens.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #604588 by Screamin Scott
The 35mm F2 was available in either MF or AF iterations...The AF version is said to be better optically ( Sharp with less ghosting)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #604648 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: The 35mm F2 was available in either MF or AF iterations...The AF version is said to be better optically ( Sharp with less ghosting)

Since I can't now go back and edit my post above, and I wasn't clear, let me add some words:

No, the version I refer to is the AF version. Per Scott's clarification.

Question for those that have been doing this longer than me: does the "D" designation always imply auto-focus?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604664 by effron
I think the D (AF-D) did designate the early AF lenses.....Users just referred to them as "D".

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604665 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #604668 by Nefarious
After watching a view videos I'm going to agree on the Sigma 35mm personally.  

However here is a good comparison video for you

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #604883 by fmw

garyrhook wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: The 35mm F2 was available in either MF or AF iterations...The AF version is said to be better optically ( Sharp with less ghosting)

Since I can't now go back and edit my post above, and I wasn't clear, let me add some words:

No, the version I refer to is the AF version. Per Scott's clarification.

Question for those that have been doing this longer than me: does the "D" designation always imply auto-focus?

Yes the D lenses are AF lenses with internal electronics.  D stands for distance.  The second generation of Nikon AF lenses coupled electronically to the metering system in a manner that improved fill flash exposure metering.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #605076 by Jackman
I was just going to post a question regarding getting a 35mm for my D700.  Now if you don't mind me asking, why not Nikon 35mm?  Is the Sigma and Tamron 35mm a better lens or better priced?  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #605248 by Toby J
WOW, impressed.  Thank you all for the helping hand.  I'll be making up my mind this weekend or possibly tonight over a glass of wine.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024