First wedding photos

12 years 5 months ago #172001 by Stealthy Ninja
12 years 5 months ago #172012 by proverbs3photos
I agree that some of your cropping is a bit too close b/c you are cutting out some people and the vignetting is a bit strong, but the subject matter is good. I like the pictures but it looks like they are holding their hands too high so that it almost looks like their hands end. Next time have their hands lower so that you get a better view of them. Great idea to soften them. I would suggest increasing the temperature of the photo a bit to bring out the skin tones more. Don't listen to the people being cruel. You have to start somewhere. Check out different wedding photographer's sites to get some ideas on some poses and views they pick. You can also youtube and go to adorama tv to see some videos that can help you learn how to make your equipment work better for you as well :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: itsmerenee
12 years 5 months ago #172351 by photobod

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I think the tilt ruins those for me and a couple of the others are too ordinary for wedding albums, the group shot works but a more formal shot would be better. Did you do any formal portraits? or was your intent only casual shots? I agree with Butterflygirl that these are not stunning or extraordinary in any way.

Sorry have to agree with Rob as a pro wedding photographer these are more like snap shots.
:( :( :(

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #172847 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I think the tilt ruins those for me and a couple of the others are too ordinary for wedding albums, the group shot works but a more formal shot would be better. Did you do any formal portraits? or was your intent only casual shots? I agree with Butterflygirl that these are not stunning or extraordinary in any way.

Sorry have to agree with Rob as a pro wedding photographer these are more like snap shots.
:( :( :(

Go on David, post your first wedding photos here. :whistle:

Actually there are some there that I'd classify as "Snapshots" but there's some good ones. Not bad for a first try. When I shoot an event or something there's bound to be a few crappy 'snapshot' style pics. I'd not show them online myself. :pinch:
12 years 5 months ago #172871 by susiefox10
These are alot better than my first wedding also. Working as a second shooter isn't an option in my area. Photographers are not willing to help out what they consider competition (at least in my area). I think U did great.

12 years 5 months ago #172873 by Stealthy Ninja

susiefox10 wrote: These are alot better than my first wedding also. Working as a second shooter isn't an option in my area. Photographers are not willing to help out what they consider competition (at least in my area). I think U did great.

:agree:
12 years 3 months ago #185596 by mklinejr

Stealthy Ninja wrote: OK onto some comments.

Pretty good for a 1st wedding to be honest. I've see WAY worse from people with more "experience".

The following is some tips/opinions from me:
1. Don't add that harsh vignetting (black border thing) it look unprofessional.
2. Never use direct flash (unless you really need to) at least bounce the flash off the ceiling (walls are even better).

Not bad overall. :D

:agree: With some tweeking and some tutorials and more shooting your techniques will improve greatly.Keep shooting no matter what!!

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
12 years 3 months ago #191696 by hotmama_029
I think you did good for your first wedding!

12 years 3 months ago #191731 by mj~shutterbugg
I want to first say- I see great potential. This was your first go at it and well the first one is always rocky. My first wedding (and my last) my bride was so disappointed she didn't pay me the rest of my agreed upon fee. Hence why it was my last. I JUST started photographing people again. I am not highly skilled at people photography, macro and studio flowers- I can do. I have much to learn.

Personally I am not a fan of vignettes, I think they take away from the subjects instead of highlighting them. I also think you cropped way too close- you need more room on the edges- people were cut off. What about when they frame an image they will loose some of the edge as well. I also found the tilt distracting. That may be your personal style, it may not. Like I said in the beginning- great potential. I agree about researching what you want ahead of time, you will get ideas and be able to move more creatively in the field. Good Luck!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 2 months ago #201475 by We Design Albums.com
I would like to make a simple posing suggestion for your ring photo. I think it is more "finished" or "formal" looking if you have both subjects bring their fingers together. When their fingers are wide open, it looks odd. (to me.)

The traditional ring shot can be done in so many ways now. Some older couples don't even want the rings on their hands when they are photographed. They would prefer them on the invitation or in a flower of the boquet or in the icing of the cake.

Again, this is just something to consider.

We Design Albums.com
1-800-932-5286

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #201485 by Darrell
Even if you can't be a second shooter, next time you go to a wedding watch the photographer like a hawk.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #210353 by KenStephens
When my wife and I got married, 40 years ago, we had a very skilled professional photographer. My brother-in-law was an amateur photographer. He got a picture of the flower girl that was underexposed, framed poorly, etc. However, he captured the essence of that little girl in the expression on her face--sheer joy that characterized the mood at the wedding. We still cherish that photo, and needless to say, that little girl is a mom herself and really loves that picture.

Ken

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024