Too blurry for use?

12 years 3 days ago #224173 by mj~shutterbugg
I know this shot is soft. That isn't up for debate. What is up for debate is whether or not it is useable to give a bride? I am asking because this particular bride would print something less than stellar so I want to avoid giving her something I wouldn't want displayed and I am torn on this image. This was from a family wedding freebie, please keep in mind this is not my forte, but also give me honest feedback. Thanks.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

Attachments:
12 years 3 days ago #224179 by Rob pix4u2
I would use it because it is a tender moment. yes it is a bit soft but personally I think it works for this image

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 3 days ago #224180 by mklinejr
:agree: But if you are not comfortable with the image being seen then I would not put it out. Its all about you at this point she hasnt seen it.

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
12 years 3 days ago #224185 by icepics
Looks too gray/monotone, I don't really see B&W there. Would it work better in sepia maybe?? - might make for a softer look.

If it would be a moment that was significant to the family, I don't know - it may not represent you at your best as a photographer, but it was a favor for family, so if it's a photo they'd value, maybe...

Or could you do this one as a small sized print, maybe that would make the lack of sharpness less noticeable. Since it was done gratis, even if they want it in digital format, it's not like they're customers that you are committed to providing a specific package of prints, CD etc. So maybe this wouldn't be one to include on a CD but give them a couple of 4x6s or something.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 days ago - 12 years 3 days ago #224245 by Shadowfixer1
Since it's soft, make it work for you. First I would bump up the contrast a hair, then duplicate the layer and run the "Diffuse Glow" filter on it and adjust opacity to taste. Make it dreamy. I would finish with a slight vignette to center the viewers attention. I would also consider a square crop.
12 years 3 days ago #224246 by john_m
I agree with Sharon.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 days ago #224303 by photobod

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Since it's soft, make it work for you. First I would bump up the contrast a hair, then duplicate the layer and run the "Diffuse Glow" filter on it and adjust opacity to taste. Make it dreamy. I would finish with a slight vignette to center the viewers attention. I would also consider a square crop.

Not sure about this exact technique but it does need bumping up with a dreamy look :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 3 days ago #224304 by John Landolfi
Both Sharon and Shadowfixer have good suggestions. But you are publishing (even though to a small circle) an image which you say is not to the standards you place on your work. Can you live with that? I recently had a similar situation. in which I expended a lot (too much) of time making a substandard image from The Met "more" presentable. I was justly criticized for it on PT, and I reshot it and reposted it. That seems to me the best solution.:cheers: :)

Photo Comments
12 years 3 days ago - 12 years 3 days ago #224320 by mj~shutterbugg

John Landolfi wrote: Both Sharon and Shadowfixer have good suggestions. But you are publishing (even though to a small circle) an image which you say is not to the standards you place on your work. Can you live with that? I recently had a similar situation. in which I expended a lot (too much) of time making a substandard image from The Met "more" presentable. I was justly criticized for it on PT, and I reshot it and reposted it. That seems to me the best solution.:cheers: :)

John- why do you have to hit the nail on the head? I am not sure I could re-shoot as it's from a wedding.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone- I am off to make it super dreamy so it looks like I meant for it to happen :) And if that fails, well it was an exercise in processing and my recycle bin will appreciate it.

OK here it is...

So now I must ask, have I over cooked it?

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

Attachments:
12 years 2 days ago #224322 by John Landolfi
Doesn't come up to the standard of your work, in my opinion.:)

Photo Comments
12 years 2 days ago - 12 years 2 days ago #224326 by Shadowfixer1

mj~shutterbugg wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: Both Sharon and Shadowfixer have good suggestions. But you are publishing (even though to a small circle) an image which you say is not to the standards you place on your work. Can you live with that? I recently had a similar situation. in which I expended a lot (too much) of time making a substandard image from The Met "more" presentable. I was justly criticized for it on PT, and I reshot it and reposted it. That seems to me the best solution.:cheers: :)

John- why do you have to hit the nail on the head? I am not sure I could re-shoot as it's from a wedding.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone- I am off to make it super dreamy so it looks like I meant for it to happen :) And if that fails, well it was an exercise in processing and my recycle bin will appreciate it.

OK here it is...

So now I must ask, have I over cooked it?

Sorry. That doesn't work at all. I don't want to be harsh, but that's my opinion on the second image. I think the image would be nice with a dreamy high-key look and not really just trying to make something presentable. It should only take 5 or 10 minutes at the most to do it. Now that I think about it, try the "Orton Technique" on it. That should get you something nice.
12 years 2 days ago #224341 by gjtoth
Generally speaking, if you think there's a problem, there's a problem. :)

~ Gary ~
The best camera is the one you have with you.
My gallery ===> toths.us/GJT
Feel free to comment & critique.

12 years 2 days ago #224356 by mj~shutterbugg

John Landolfi wrote: Doesn't come up to the standard of your work, in my opinion.:)

gjtoth wrote: Generally speaking, if you think there's a problem, there's a problem. :)

I think you gentleman are right. I did try one final edit, but honestly don't feel that it saves it, I think I just puttered in photoshop. If you can't tell I am not super talented at Photoshop :rofl: Here it is for CC,

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

Attachments:
12 years 2 days ago #224358 by John Landolfi
Don't be so hard on yourself. Some images are just too compromised to justify the effort

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg
12 years 2 days ago #224364 by Shadowfixer1
Well, it was a good effort but sometimes lemons are just lemons. Everyone has those. Some of us more than others. I throw out my fair share but I love getting lemonade out of lemons sometimes. Better luck next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024