Going Back In Time

12 years 7 months ago #149542 by Henry Peach
I've got a bunch of those big, old Polaroids. I've been making bird houses out of them. The wrens love them. :)
12 years 7 months ago #149554 by KCook
:rofl: Know what you mean. It's highly unlikely I will ever try a shot with the old beast again. If I wanted to revisit those times I'd pick up one of my twinlens reflex cameras instead.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #149605 by icepics
There you go Kelly, get out your TLR and buy some film!

Birdhouses!!! Henry, I just posted elsewhere that the Impossible Project looks to be completely sold out of all their 100 series films - somebody's using their old Polaroid cameras, they're always sold out of something. May not be mass market but demand is way more than supply.

I got a book recently of a Polaroid collection and didn't realize Ansel Adams was the one who got artists and photographers to contribute to the collection; he and Edwin Land had communicated during development of the Polaroid.

I like the sound of a Polaroid camera when it powers up, and the motor whirring when out pops out a picture. Kertesz did Polaroids late in his career and compared the way the photo develops to the process in the darkroom when you put your photo in the developer and watch the picture appear.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149606 by icepics
What Polaroid do you have Kelly? Some don't need a battery for the camera, it's in the film pack. Griff good luck, the Impossible Project is more sold out of film than usual. They make film for SX-70, 100 series, and 600 series cameras.

I read that Adox (I think) might start making 110 film again - if they do we can get out the ol' Instamatics. And use flashcubes again!!

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149736 by Filmburn66

icepics wrote: Whad'ya mean memories?? LOL I just got a Polaroid Land camera like that second hand - the Impossible Project is making film for those. I'm always going back in time collecting and using vintage cameras. Thanks for posting the photos, those are great.

Just as an FYI, Fuji makes Type 100 film for the very old Land Cameras, too. Fuji's film isn't as beautiful as the art films that the Impossible Project rescued from the last Polaroid factory (and when those are all gone, IP won't be making any more, so snap up what you can get while you can still still get it) but it's pretty good all the same. The only problem is that Fuji puts their film in a plastic pack which can be a PITA to get out of the camera efficiently, but there are workarounds, such as inserting the film into an old metal Polaroid pack before loading. The Polaroid groups on Flickr have a ton of tips for people who need any kind of help getting their old Land Cameras up and running. :)
12 years 7 months ago #149850 by Justin

icepics wrote: Whad'ya mean memories?? LOL I just got a Polaroid Land camera like that second hand - the Impossible Project is making film for those. I'm always going back in time collecting and using vintage cameras. Thanks for posting the photos, those are great.

Attachment not found

OK I'll bite, how old is this camera?

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149875 by Filmburn66

Justin wrote:

Attachment not found

OK I'll bite, how old is this camera?

I'm not icepics, obviously, but it's a Kodak Brownie folder camera, right around a hundred years old (look closely at the .jpg -- the dates are printed below the lens). If it's cleaned up properly and in decent mechanical condition, it can be a user, certainly, since it was designed for 120 film, which as we know is still readily available.
12 years 7 months ago #150009 by icepics
There seem to be a number of these old Kodaks called Brownie, autographic, folding, etc. etc. This one is a 2A folding 'pocket' Brownie - if you have really big pockets. The bellows do fold into the camera and you have a handy camera about the size of a brick! You're right about the year, I guess 1908-09 was the patent date. This one was made about 1913-15 (earlier versions had red bellows).

The shutter etc. works, and this one takes 116 film so I haven't used it yet, but found some old film so probably will try a long exposure w/it.

I didn't realize Fuji was making some film for Polaroids. The Impossible Project Ihas been manufacturing film at an old Polaroid plant in the Netherlands. I've seen a couple of video tours of the plant online.Their online stock thru their site seems to vary but there are other dealers who sell it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #150055 by Filmburn66

icepics wrote: I didn't realize Fuji was making some film for Polaroids. The Impossible Project Ihas been manufacturing film at an old Polaroid plant in the Netherlands. I've seen a couple of video tours of the plant online.Their online stock thru their site seems to vary but there are other dealers who sell it.

Unfortunately though, there will be no more Type 100 from IP. What they have been selling are actually rescued Polaroid art films designed by Paul Giambarba from a plant in Mexico that were never released to the public, rather than IP-designed films. :( When their stock of it is gone, it's gone. I've been snapping it up from people who have it on eBay, because I love the blue film in particular.

The Fuji Type 100 stuff is OK. The color is actually very nice, and the black and white has the savable negatives (just like the old Polaroid black and white Type 100) so you can then scan, enlarge, manipulate, whatever. When you shop for it, some vendors charge way too much, so look around. I've found the best deals on it from private sellers on Amazon. Continental Supply on there sometimes sells it for under $5.00 a pack -- compared to some places who want to charge like $18 a pack. :blink: It's nice stuff and I am delighted Fuji makes Type 100 film, but it is not worth THAT much!
12 years 7 months ago #150065 by icepics
Might have to try some of the Fuji, I have one Polaroid Land camera I bought not too long ago that takes that size. I did notice IP was out of stock of the blue, chocolate etc. by Giambarba, that was listed as expired; I didn't realize they wouldn't be making more of the 100 at all. Thanks for the info. Guess what I find of that I'll be using sparingly and do more w/the rainbow Polaroids that take the 600.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #150114 by Brushet Pics

chasrich wrote: Oldies are always goodies and these are also golden. Thanks for sharing... :woohoo:

:agree: I'll have to go dig out my oldies and post them up here.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024