Turning on and off Camera?

10 years 5 months ago #312307 by Dana Leeson
Does it matter if the camera is turned on or off for any of these:

1. Changing lens
2. Changing battery
3. Changing memory card
4. Adding or removing off camera flash

I have always shut my camera down for all of these, but was told yesterday by another photographer that you didn't need too. I'm just getting more opinions on this as I don't want to damage my camera.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #312311 by garyrhook
1) Read the manual
2) Read the manual
3) Read the manual
4) Read the manual

Honestly, there's no single answer for any of these, as it depends upon what the manufacturer has allowed for. For most of them the answer is no, it's not a problem (especially the flash unit), but you never want to remove the memory card while it's being written to.

Frankly, the other photographer shouldn't express unfounded opinions. Because it depends.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #312317 by Shadowfixer1
I always turn mine off prior to doing any of these things. Why take an unnecessary chance? The only one I don't do it for is removing the flash. I do make sure the flash is off before removing. Does it matter? I don't know but I do know that I read you should do that in some manufacturer's material way back when.
10 years 5 months ago #312397 by Fiesta!
I always turn my camera off when I go changing anything.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #312439 by Joves
Well the theory on the the shutting it off is because of possible shorting. Changing the battery is pretty much like turning it on or off. The cards the circuit is always charged when there is a battery inside, you know this because at least on Nikons the rear greed diode light flashes telling you that the card has been put in. As far, as lenses go the sensor is charged when it is on, but since the shutter is closed, it should not matter in changing the lens either. But I out of habit have it turned off anyhow, and in reality how much longer does it take to turn it on and off. I had one guy tell me that he could miss a shot if something came up and he forget to turn it on. To which I replied then you should have figured out which lens you needed in the first place. So if you turn it off out of habit keep on doing so. I am with Gary people just randomly interjecting their opinion on how you do things such as changing out lenses, and such is just something they do to sound like an all knowing guru.

10 years 5 months ago #312457 by Dana Leeson

garyrhook wrote: 1) Read the manual
2) Read the manual
3) Read the manual
4) Read the manual

Honestly, there's no single answer for any of these, as it depends upon what the manufacturer has allowed for. For most of them the answer is no, it's not a problem (especially the flash unit), but you never want to remove the memory card while it's being written to.

Frankly, the other photographer shouldn't express unfounded opinions. Because it depends.

I have read my manual, that's why I have done it the way I have. However I find it odd that I have come across a few photographers who say it doesn't matter. Because of this, I ask. :P

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #312467 by StephanieW
If someone tells you you can do something that you've been told could potentially harm your camera before, ignore that person. Sure they COULD be right, but turning off a camera and turning it back on doesn't take that long. I've been told the same thing about ejecting flashdrives from computers. I was told it doesn't matter if you hit eject as long as there's no data being transfered. Yeah, sure, that could be right, but it doesn't take more than a second or two to hit eject so why not just do it?

10 years 5 months ago #312477 by effron
The big issue could be dust attraction, as your sensor is energized when the camera is on. I try to shut my camera down prior the changing a lens, but when I forget I don't lose sleep...... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: renanpaiva
10 years 5 months ago #312479 by Don Fischer
ya know what? If they way your doing it works for you, go for it. Your not gonna save much time turning it off and on again.

10 years 5 months ago #312557 by Jim Photo
I'm with Effron, I try to shut my camera down, but if I slip, it happens.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #312577 by Stealthy Ninja
Never really turned off the camera for any of those things. Never had any trouble either.

IF you want to turn it off, turn it off. The risk is yours.
10 years 5 months ago #312579 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote: The big issue could be dust attraction, as your sensor is energized when the camera is on. I try to shut my camera down prior the changing a lens, but when I forget I don't lose sleep...... ;)

I looked it up once and basically the "sensor attracting dust" thing is a myth or really doesn't make any difference.
10 years 5 months ago #313015 by Dana Leeson
Well, this thread proved to be helpful. I'll keep shutting my camera down and it's good to know if I accidentally keep it on, it won't be the end of the world.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #313105 by tCampbell
As a general rule of thumb I do, but I have accidentally missed a couple times and nothing to worry about.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #313203 by Allen D

tCampbell wrote: As a general rule of thumb I do, but I have accidentally missed a couple times and nothing to worry about.

Same with me. Just try not doing this while at the beach :pinch:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024