Pro's and Con's of owning a Nikon vs Canon

12 years 9 months ago #112009 by crystal

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I use Nikon but it doesn't matter. A person needs to handle the cameras in a makers line and play with how it works to see which they prefer. Both will produce excellent images. Most feel that Nikon has a better focussing system and a better flash system. Canon lenses tend to be a little cheaper for the good glass. I would use Canon if it felt better than the Nikon. The Nikons I have owned just have a better and more solid feel to me. It's all personal preference.

:agree: :thumbsup:
12 years 9 months ago #112010 by crystal

lucky1one wrote: Personally, I like the images made by Canon more than Nikon.

How?
How can you like the images made by Canon more than Nikon?
Isn't it all based on the photographer and the level of gear they have.
Which as we all know the photographer makes the photo, not the camera.
We also know that a more expensive lens and camera will produce better quality shots then a $500 camera with a $100 lens.
12 years 9 months ago #112013 by Scotty

crystal wrote:

How?
We also know that a more expensive lens and camera will produce better quality shots then a $500 camera with a $100 lens.

Some cameras are minorly distinct. I still cant get the blacks i used to get out of canon's 5d mark 1.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112017 by KCook
There is a zen difference in their designs. My view is that Canons are designed for artists and Nikons are designed for technicians. I wear both hats so my decision was a close call.

now retreating back into my bunker :unsure:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #112018 by MLKstudios
I choose Nikon because the controls are similar to old Nikon F's. Also I have a large collection of Nikon lenses. I'm old school.

Nothing wrong with Canon, but they don't win.

They are the choice of most beginners. They market better to the n00bs, is all.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #112021 by Baydream

MLKstudios wrote: I choose Nikon because the controls are similar to old Nikon F's. Also I have a large collection of Nikon lenses. I'm old school.

Matthew

Oh, Matthew. Hop off that high horse. Yes, Nikon is a fine camera but Canon camera produce just as fine an image. If you don't believe me, ask any Canon owner ;)

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112022 by effron

Baydream wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: I choose Nikon because the controls are similar to old Nikon F's. Also I have a large collection of Nikon lenses. I'm old school.

Matthew

Oh, Matthew. Hop off that high horse. Yes, Nikon is a fine camera but Canon camera produce just as fine an image. If you don't believe me, ask any Canon owner ;)

You need not ask a Canon owner, I am a Nikon shooter and see top quality stuff from BOTH systems. Lets not forget there are other makers doing fairly well, Panny, Oly, Sony, etc. Jeebus, this is a silly debate.........:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112023 by lucky1one

crystal wrote:

How?

My wife has the same reaction when I told her that I prefer white wine over red wine :lol:

12 years 9 months ago #112026 by chasrich
Sheesh! A fine lot of help WE are.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #112032 by Scotty

Matthew

True. Aston Kutcher rolling around on the run way is definately marketed toward the pros.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112038 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot Nikon and my compadre shoots Canon you can't tell a whit of difference in the images when we shoot side by side and get the same game winning goal. Except his gear weighs more than mine or maybe it's all the gold he carries in his backpack.....

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #112042 by lucky1one

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I shoot Nikon and my compadre shoots Canon you can't tell a whit of difference in the images when we shoot side by side and get the same game winning goal. Except his gear weighs more than mine or maybe it's all the gold he carries in his backpack.....

Waiting to see your friend's image so we can compare the two. ;)

12 years 9 months ago #112043 by Baydream
Rob - Maybe that's why sports shooters go Canon. Holding up those heavy Nikons is tough :thumbsup:
You are right. In our annual club competition, it is the photographers that re winning the awards, not the cameras. And our club is close to 45/45/10% (others). Nobody cares what you were shooting on awards night.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112045 by Rob pix4u2
:watching: Come to a Cincinnati Cyclones game this winter for a side by side comparison between Tony and I.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #112047 by lucky1one

Rob pix4u2 wrote: :watching: Come to a Cincinnati Cyclones game this winter for a side by side comparison between Tony and I.

Maybe there is a con for owning a Canon :rofl:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024